2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 1

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

And if he's as athletic as everybody's claiming, they can give him a couple of years to learn how to play a corner outfield position. 

Why move him off first base?

4 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Why move him off first base?

More value, more options. If he can provide good defense in RF, it's a bit of a hedge if his power doesn't fully translate to wood bats and the pro game. 

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

And if he's as athletic as everybody's claiming, they can give him a couple of years to learn how to play a corner outfield position. 

I don’t get why people want to move him off of 1B. Any team that drafts should keep him at 1B, give up on the pitching, and have him focus on the bat 100% of the time, which should make him a fast riser to the bigs. Asking him to play the outfield and learn a new position, only delays the bat 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

See if he can at least be decent in left.

You’re only delaying the bat. If you draft Cags at 5, you’re saying imo that this guy is up with you next year at some point. Plus remember Andrew Vaughn, let’s not repeat the sins of the previous regime 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

I don’t get why people want to move him off of 1B. Any team that drafts should keep him at 1B, give up on the pitching, and have him focus on the bat 100% of the time, which should make him a fast riser to the bigs. Asking him to play the outfield and learn a new position, only delays the bat 

They should just make him DH then. Can’t risk any time not dedicated to “the bat”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Draft thread belongs on the FutureSox board imo.

Good call. This is the one I’ve been following anyway. As long as you guys don’t meander over to that one, I’ll stay focused on this one.

30 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

the pitching is definitely done, I feel like these people haven't bothered to look at his stats lol, dude isn't very good

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

More value, more options. If he can provide good defense in RF, it's a bit of a hedge if his power doesn't fully translate to wood bats and the pro game. 

Jesus, West, maybe the Yanks should have put Lou G in Left.

12 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Jesus, West, maybe the Yanks should have put Lou G in Left.

Maybe they should have. You're talking about a prospect where, graduating through the minors and becoming a big league 1B is one outcome. A trade is another. Moving to another position (which a lot of prospects do) opens 1B for a lesser athlete who can still hit.