2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

As much as I wanted Cags I didn't see it with teams holding back on their prized up the middle players and more catcher/1st base types likely to be offered.

Looking at guys like Basallo and Rushing being potential targets from teams that could really use Sox players, that's not a bad call.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Every pick, at least in the first 10 rounds of the MLB draft, should be BPA. Yes, the Sox need impact bats in their system, but those can be acquired multiple ways. And as so many others have mentioned, what do you trust the Sox developing…bats or arms? So I have very little issue with the choice 

I don’t think I believe BPA exists in the mlb draft. Sometimes it does, but mostly at like 1-1 only.

Just now, mac9001 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if Smith starts in AA next year and is really for the bigs mid season.

Yep. Schultz and Smith should both be knocking on the door in short order.

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

But he's also already had a TJ

Didn’t baseball America have a whole thing about how the restricted innings in the minors have done nothing productive for preventing injuries? 

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

I think in this draft finding major leaguers will be impressive, just my opinion. Makes profile risk a secondary consideration.

Yeah, I mean. If I'm steel-manning it, Smith is surest guy in the draft to be a significant big leaguer. The sox can't f*** him up, really. I'm just having trouble with the volatility of the injury risk given the org is so objectively far away from contention.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t mind it, better than Griffin.  Can’t wait for Griffin to be a star and have someone throw this post at me.

The question isn't even if he could be a star, it's could the Sox turn him into a star.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

Didn’t baseball America have a whole thing about how the restricted innings in the minors have done nothing productive for preventing injuries? 

Yeah, I saw something like that somewhere

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t think I believe BPA exists in the mlb draft. Sometimes it does, but mostly at like 1-1 only.

I don't know what this means? 

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Though they should potentially be arriving to the bigs at very similar times.

2026 seems like a solid time frame for both.  Schultz should be pushed up to the 150-160 innings range, and Smith will barely see A ball.

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

But he's also already had a TJ

True. Hopefully, they've cleaned up the approach and mechanics as it's been what? 4 years since he had it.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Looking at guys like Basallo and Rushing being potential targets from teams that could really use Sox players, that's not a bad call.

Those were the 2 I mentioned earlier in the longer draft thread. Unless it was in a trade trade thread. I can't keep track.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's because it's not the innings, it's the max effort for most. Now a guy like Crochet would be different with his history.