2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 1

16 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It’s tough, man. I can see both sides of the argument. If Smith turns out to be a stud in a couple years, and we passed on him to take an offensive player who busts just because we needed offense, it’ll look like a ridiculously dumb decision. 

But at the same time, like you are saying, what they’re doing isn’t leading to success. So at some point, do you have to try something different?

At the end of the day, I lean more toward taking the guy who you think has the best chance of success in the majors. All I read about for the past couple weeks is how all the offensive guys they might take had flaws/risks. I’m pleased with the pick. 

I’m not sure I see the idea that picking smith is more of the same. Getting a corner guy I could see it. I’m not sure why this is in that narrative.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I don’t know enough about this draft to say yay or nay on the pick, I just don’t love the mindset of hey we suck at developing hitting anyways.  If we’re not going to learn to develop hitters then this thing ain’t going anywhere anyways.  

We have no idea if Shirley was actually interested in any of the hitters on the board for that moment, though. 

• Like 1

Well, here's to hoping the Sox are saving a little bit of money on the pick, from what I've been consuming the last few months, it seems like there are some really interesting late first round HS arms, and one or two should slip out. Hoping for Kash Mayfield, but there are others.

Just now, kwill said:

So who are we liking that could be steal in the next couple of picks. Does anybody know who they have been linked too? 

Does anybody think they saved a couple hundred thousand by making a deal with Smtih? 

Sorry, I am not an expert so just curious on who you guys think would be the next move. 

Maybe a little, but I personally can’t imagine Smith was a huge underslot.  To get someone like Ryan Sloan at #43 will requiring going college senior with a couple mid round picks (which I’d be ok with).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe a little, but I personally can’t imagine Smith was a huge underslot.  To get someone like Ryan Sloan at #43 will requiring going college senior with a couple mid round picks (which I’d be ok with).

He was projected at 2-3 picks lower so if he was OK with those slots, that could be it 

This doesn't scream out "Shirley" to me; it screams "Safe pick" because we're pretty good with lefties. 
Last year was the "safe pick" type to, although he's not looking so safe.

Anyway, no need to force position players in later rounds; if the value is with the high school pitchers, do what you need to do.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

This doesn't scream out "Shirley" to me; it screams "Safe pick" because we're pretty good with lefties. 
Last year was the "safe pick" type to, although he's not looking so safe.

Anyway, no need to force position players in later rounds; if the value is with the high school pitchers, do what you need to do.

It screams BPA to me

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He was projected at 2-3 picks lower so if he was OK with those slots, that could be it 

I hope you’re right, but it kind of feels like most of these mocks simply missed on how clubs valued Burns & Smith (hope I’m wrong though).