2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 1

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Watch this video and cry about hitters. 

In 2026 the Sox will have the best young rotation in baseball. Pitching and defense wins championships. A bat would have been great, but this draft is weak and their track record with lefties matters. I'm good with this. Now if Jerry dies in the next two years, a new owner only has to buy a couple outfielders and they will be set. 

They are set at catcher - Quero

SS & 3rd base have promise in Colson, Gonzalez and Ramos

Wolkow is something. DH at the least. 

Baldwin is a wildcard.

So yeah, they are gonna have to pay up for some outfield and potentially power, but the starting staff is cost controlled until like 2030. That matters. 

• Like 2

I'm confused. I always see stuff like this when publications eval a draft. About our 1st rounder, MLB.com says:

5) White Sox: Hagen Smith, LHP, Arkansas
We at MLB Pipeline had him as the top-ranked pitcher in the class.

But then, at pick #24, they say this about the Braves' pick:

24) Braves: Cam Caminiti, LHP, Saguaro HS (Ariz.)
The Braves likely didn’t expect Caminiti, the best left-hander in the class, to be available here.

Both are left-handed. Why isn't Hagen Smith the best left-hander in the class? Is top ranked different from "best"? 

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm confused. I always see stuff like this when publications eval a draft. About our 1st rounder, MLB.com says:

But then, at pick #24, they say this about the Braves' pick:

Both are left-handed. Why isn't Hagen Smith the best left-hander in the class? Is top ranked different from "best"? 

One is college, the other HS. Best in college class,  best in HS class.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alright… f*** it.

Extend Crochet until 2030 and roll to town with the three headed lefty monster. 

Trade Robert and Fedde and Kopech and everyone else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Alright… f*** it.

Extend Crochet until 2030 and roll to town with the three headed lefty monster. 

Trade Robert and Fedde and Kopech and everyone else.

And Thorpe will look that much better as a back end guy. I wonder if he’ll be even more effective if he happens to pitch game 2 of a 3-game series, slotted between two of the power lefties. Not sure if that actually matters, but it sounds great in theory. 

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

And Thorpe will look that much better as a back end guy. I wonder if he’ll be even more effective if he happens to pitch game 2 of a 3-game series, slotted between two of the power lefties. Not sure if that actually matters, but it sounds great in theory. 

Right

I know we’re excited about the lefties and Thorpe, but do not sleep on Grant Taylor. He is a very bad man.. third best pitching prospect in the system. Coin flip on who has better stuff, him or Smith.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

48 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I know we’re excited about the lefties and Thorpe, but do not sleep on Grant Taylor. He is a very bad man.. third best pitching prospect in the system. Coin flip on who has better stuff, him or Smith.

I think he may be the most slept on P in the entire system. The stuff looked electric when he’s been healthy in his few starts. I can’t wait to see more of him and how he looks when he’s bumped to WS in high A