2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 1

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Sox will get to clear the medicals before signing, right?

Yes. He has to go through the whole process include imaging to look at the health of the graft.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I don't get it. It's the shortest term asset in the first round. Polished, fast mover, already had a tommy john. I know he's good but what is the plan here.

Getz basically has add four or five legit positional prospects (including a couple high ceiling ones) this deadline or during the offseason from trading off Robert, Crochet, & Fedde.  Just feels like that could be a very tall task.  I do love Smith’s upside, but it is a bit terrifying that we still don’t know Getz’s view on building an offense.  I 100% get the risks that come with Jac and Griffen, but at least it would have signaled Getz is willing to swing for the fences for high impact positional players.  Right now, his biggest additions on the offensive end are a pair of highly questionable, low upside OF prospects in Fletcher & DeLoach.

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's not that I think smith won't be good, it's that this org needs to do something else to actually become successful. 

Hopefully it means they are getting good position player offers, either that or this is their BPA and they are saving cash for other deals they have cut.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's not that I think smith won't be good, it's that this org needs to do something else to actually become successful. 

It’s tough, man. I can see both sides of the argument. If Smith turns out to be a stud in a couple years, and we passed on him to take an offensive player who busts just because we needed offense, it’ll look like a ridiculously dumb decision. 

But at the same time, like you are saying, what they’re doing isn’t leading to success. So at some point, do you have to try something different?

At the end of the day, I lean more toward taking the guy who you think has the best chance of success in the majors. All I read about for the past couple weeks is how all the offensive guys they might take had flaws/risks. I’m pleased with the pick. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Getz basically has add four or five legit positional prospects (including a couple high ceiling ones) this deadline or during the offseason from trading off Robert, Crochet, & Fedde.  Just feels like that could be a very tall task.  I do love Smith’s upside, but it is a bit terrifying that we still don’t know Getz’s view on building an offense.  I 100% get the risks that come with Jac and Griffen, but at least it would have signaled Getz is willing to swing for the fences for high impact positional players.  Right now, his biggest additions on the offensive end are a pair of highly questionable, low upside OF prospects in Fletcher & DeLoach.

Wouldn't the rumors of him asking for Spencer Jones (pre his slide) show he has some want for high impact positional players?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Grade it an A for perhaps getting BPA in the draft.

Giving it a F minus if we're basing our fucking draft around trading our star player. How depressing if so.

Reality is pitching is a strength of the organization now with Bannister around so it's possible they are killing 2 birds with 1 stone here.

Plus never can have enough pitching with it being so in demand at trade deadline's. It also can be a position of strength in which to trade from if Getz starts trading MILB pitcher's for MiLB hitters.

Maybe instead of spreading themselves so thin trying to fix so much at once they are building a foundation of strength in one area to start .

• Like 2

At #5 I honestly don't know why anyone would be upset with drafting an elite arm with front end potential. If you just hit on Smith and the odds are high we did, that's $25M you can spend on a position player. The Sox problem is they never seem to have a strategy to truly be competitive. You hit on a bunch of arms, build a great young staff, but you're still signing dudes to minor league deals to fill out the starting lineup. It's like they strive to be slightly less than mediocre and then just rinse and repeat.