2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 1

3 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Wouldn't the rumors of him asking for Spencer Jones (pre his slide) show he has some want for high impact positional players?

What's so great about Jones other than the Yankees saying he's "untouchable".  Late first round pick, blah minor league numbers, high Ks.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Reality is pitching is a strength of the organization now with Bannister around so it's possible they are killing 2 birds with 1 stone here.

Plus never can have enough pitching with it being so in demand at trade deadline's. It also can be a position of strength in which to trade from if Getz starts trading MILB pitcher's for MiLB hitters.

Maybe instead of spreading themselves so thin trying to fix so much at once they are building a foundation of strength in one area to start .

This is a fine angle, just probably need to develop a non-big lefty starter one of these days.

I personally wanted Griffin or Wetherholt there....hope Smith holds up and develops into a Crochet.

On another note...who the F picked this location for the draft. It's awful, campy teaching dance in between picks with loud audio that the MLB Network crew has to yell over. And their audio has been messed up from the start.  Another thing MLB can't figure out vs the NFL. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He supposedly has bad hip something that will contribute to long term soft tissue injuries.  

Interesting.  I hope more about this comes out. Being a medical nerd. ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Getz basically has add four or five legit positional prospects (including a couple high ceiling ones) this deadline or during the offseason from trading off Robert, Crochet, & Fedde.  Just feels like that could be a very tall task.  I do love Smith’s upside, but it is a bit terrifying that we still don’t know Getz’s view on building an offense.  I 100% get the risks that come with Jac and Griffen, but at least it would have signaled Getz is willing to swing for the fences for high impact positional players.  Right now, his biggest additions on the offensive end are a pair of highly questionable, low upside OF prospects in Fletcher & DeLoach.

He's kind of put himself into a box.  He really needs to trade these guys for the best packages he can get regardless of whether they pitch or hit.  Now, the prospects are narrowed, unless he is adept enough to bring 3rd teams in who want pitching prospects and have hitting prospects the Sox like.

Seattle's top 10 prospects are all position players; I hope they want Robert.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cws05champ said:

I personally wanted Griffin or Wetherholt there....hope Smith holds up and develops into a Crochet.

On another note...who the F picked this location for the draft. It's awful, campy teaching dance in between picks with loud audio that the MLB Network crew has to yell over. And their audio has been messed up from the start.  Another thing MLB can't figure out vs the NFL. 

They need to stop trying to make the MLB draft a thing. No one knows who any of these players are. 

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is a fine angle, just probably need to develop a non-big lefty starter one of these days.

They developed Cease and sort of Giolito.  

Edited by PaleAleSox

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Such a cool player. And that name.

And pitches with both hands. Crazy thing is he's a better RHP and he's a natural Lefty.

Edited by SoxAce

1 minute ago, T R U said:

They need to stop trying to make the MLB draft a thing. No one knows who any of these players are. 

It is kind of niche. It's not like anybody's going to see any of these guys in the next couple of years. In the NFL, the 7th rounder is your new starting tight end. 

55 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Love this pick. Wanted him from the start. Play to your strengths.

Thats how I felt, 3/4 slot lefty in this system, yes please.

5 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Wouldn't the rumors of him asking for Spencer Jones (pre his slide) show he has some want for high impact positional players?

Yes, assuming those rumors are in fact true.  But we still need to see him actually make a move that proves that out.  I have zero concerns on the pitching side of things with Bannister’s influence on moves.  I have much less confidence in Barfield and even moreso Watson to help us identify the right positional prospects via trade at the moment.  Hope they prove me wrong though.  It also doesn’t help that the one dude I have trust in (Shirley) is going to have a hard time addressing the system’s positional need with the remainder of this draft given how weak that crop of players is come #43.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

It is kind of niche. It's not like anybody's going to see any of these guys in the next couple of years. In the NFL, the 7th rounder is your new starting tight end. 

Well it’s that plus the exposure of college football and basketball the casual person knows what’s going on generally. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, T R U said:

Yeah but if they are going to try, then try. Having it these stockyards is a joke. Have it in a minor league stadium or something. 

6 minutes ago, cws05champ said:

Having been there a few times, it is kind of a hilarious place to do it.

I don’t know enough about this draft to say yay or nay on the pick, I just don’t love the mindset of hey we suck at developing hitting anyways.  If we’re not going to learn to develop hitters then this thing ain’t going anywhere anyways.  

• Like 2

So who are we liking that could be steal in the next couple of picks. Does anybody know who they have been linked too? 

Does anybody think they saved a couple hundred thousand by making a deal with Smtih? 

Sorry, I am not an expert so just curious on who you guys think would be the next move.