2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 1

Is it pretty common to draft a pitcher on day 1 with a control rating of 40?  I would imagine that being a HS pick, they feel like they could clean up his command and it wouldn't be an issie

10 hours ago, GreenSox said:

From what I read, his swing needs a lot of work.  Also pulls everything.

I really liked Bonemer coming into the year.  He didn't have a very good spring but the tools are there. They love his power potential and his ability to stay on the left side of the infield.  He has to work on his approach.  He's too aggressive but as the saying goes I'd rather tame a tiger than push a mule.  He has exciting upside.  

8 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I know we’re excited about the lefties and Thorpe, but do not sleep on Grant Taylor. He is a very bad man.. third best pitching prospect in the system. Coin flip on who has better stuff, him or Smith.

He's now on to his second major injury (he's on the 60 day IL with this lat injury) in a short period of time.  You can't deny the ceiling, but he is a lot scary.

I'm always amazed at how fast these later rounds go.  When I do fantasy drafts with 11 other guys and a much smaller player pool, there's a million instances of "Wait, did X get picked?" and taking more time than needed... Granted, we are talking about large staffs of serious prepared people, not a dozen drunk guys... but its still impressive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For the record, the Sox have a pool of $14,593,300, meaning even if they have no slot savings to spend, they have $729,665 in just their 5% overage to spend.  Be interesting to see how the top picks come in terms of savings/overage.  The Hagen slot is recommended at $7.7 million.  If you look at say the #8 slot, it is $6.5m.  If they get him at the #8 slot, that gives the Sox basically $2 million to play with, without an considerations for early college seniors in the pre10th rounds.

• Like 1