2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I love Hagen Smith.  For me this was a two man draft.  Cags or Smith.  I'm very happy they went with Smith.  

Have any dope for the next 2 picks? I was hoping for Oakie, but I feel like they need some bats now.

3 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Guess it’s coming in trades. Probably a better strategy since they can develop pitching. 

The "bats" they'll target in trades are prolly glove and speed limpdick position players which aren't bats at all.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

I have zero faith in the Sox ability to scout and develop hitting, so I’m not upset with the pick of a pitcher. But I 100% agree that acquiring hitting must be a focus in later rounds and at the deadline. 

Sounds like this might free up some signing space for HS kids later on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sure, we want more position players, but do you trust the Sox to play into the weaknesses of any of those kids?  Can they get less swing and miss out of their guys?  Can they keep hamstrings healthy?  Can the develop a really raw high school kid who didn't see real competition? 

I trust them way more to turn Hagen Smith into a really good major league starting pitcher than I trust them to develop anyone with those flaws into a really good major league hitter.

Most pros today at that level have their own developmental coaches and etc. 

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I love Hagen Smith.  For me this was a two man draft.  Cags or Smith.  I'm very happy they went with Smith.  

Harold sucking off the FO for any decision they make again. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 2

9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I love Hagen Smith.

But boy do you have to hit on position players on your trade deadline deals.

As much as I wanted Cags I didn't see it with teams holding back on their prized up the middle players and more catcher/1st base types likely to be offered.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sounds like this might free up some signing space for HS kids later on.

Makes me like it even more if they gained some savings to sign someone over slot later on. 

Every pick, at least in the first 10 rounds of the MLB draft, should be BPA. Yes, the Sox need impact bats in their system, but those can be acquired multiple ways. And as so many others have mentioned, what do you trust the Sox developing…bats or arms? So I have very little issue with the choice 

• Like 7
  • Fire 1

I didn’t trust this draft to bring in the talent so, sure. He’s got talent, also just feels like I can see “Sox s%*# down smith in spring training with forearm soreness”.

I would have preferred the offensive players just with the somewhat more loaded prep pitchers.

But just not a good draft for profiles. 

That said with potentially trading crochet I have no clue why Getz was targeting pitching with his Cease return. Makes no sense (its because he is stupid)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oldsox said:

So, how many years until they let Smith throw more than 65-70 innings per year.

Don't need to worry about it with this kid. Been a starter his whole career.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I don't get it. It's the shortest term asset in the first round. Polished, fast mover, already had a tommy john. I know he's good but what is the plan here.

I think in this draft finding major leaguers will be impressive, just my opinion. Makes profile risk a secondary consideration.

• Fire 1