7/14 - Pittsburgh @ White Sox - 1:10 pm, Keller v. Shuster

15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Regardless. Perhaps by the end of the season, you'll admit that I've been calling Sheets a lefty bench bat, and Julks the weak half of a corner OF platoon. 

Baby steps. 

Sheets is terrible.  He is DFA worthy after this year.  And you are saying that Julks is worthy of being a platoon corner outfielder based on his ability to hit lefties in 43 at bats this year?  Go take a look at his numbers against lefties last year with the Astros.  He was actually better against righties last year.

No, I will never agree with this nonsense.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

And with that the White Sox close the worst first half in the 124 year history of the franchise.

Clowns and buffoons.

??

Hope JR enjoys watching the product on the field. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sheets is terrible.  He is DFA worthy after this year.  And you are saying that Julks is worthy of being a platoon corner outfielder based on his ability to hit lefties in 43 at bats this year?  Go take a look at his numbers against lefties last year with the Astros.  He was actually better against righties last year.

I mean.....both of these guys suck.

• Like 1

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

And with that the White Sox close the worst first half in the 124 year history of the franchise.

Clowns and buffoons.

??

Hope JR enjoys watching the product on the field. 

Getz for GM of the year!

1920px-Illinois_71.svg.png

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz for GM of the year!

1920px-Illinois_71.svg.png

But remember the franchise simply couldn't "waste" a season bringing in an outsider to be the G.M. ? 

• Paper Bag 2

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Sox have broken Leasure. He looks terrible and nothing like he did earlier in season 

Holy f***. It’s three appearances over seven days in a five month long season.

A promising young pitcher experiencing something like this mid season is not the worst thing in the world.

See if he can bounce back. See if the pitching staff can help him through it.

It’s a great test for all of them, and not exactly super high stakes.

• Like 1

The bullpen including Kopech, blew a lot of games and removed any possibility that the Sox could sustain any consistency or momentum.  They made a bad season into an epic disaster.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sheets is a pre-arb, lefty bench bat. Unless they're trading Vaughn and have no one else, I don't really see a reason to pay him $4m to play 1B/DH in 2025. But there is value in a guy who, like I said, is a lefty bench bat. As far as Julks, when you posed a question about whether I would pencil in any of Getz' OF acquisitions into next year's lineup, I said Julks. Big deal. I'm not sure why you think it's some big victory when somebody thinks a player could work out and they don't. Or they work out, just not enough to make a difference. 

Julks is currently in a corner OF platoon right now regardless of what I'm saying. Please explain to me how 43 PAs in a half season is a small sample size, but 76 PAs across a whole season isn't. And a hitter having neutral or reverse splits for a season doesn't mean they suck and should be cut. Platoons also work for and against pitchers. Some lefty pitchers just get hit better by righty hitters. The end. 

MLB's average OPS is .709 in 2024. So both Julks and Sheets are both a hot week away from being an average ML hitter.  

The problem is that you don't have a point beyond not liking Chris Getz. Any move he makes, you scream that it's horrible, then use small sample sizes, ignore ML trends and averages, whatever, to pretend that anything supports your hyperbole. 

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Sheets is a pre-arb, lefty bench bat. Unless they're trading Vaughn and have no one else, I don't really see a reason to pay him $4m to play 1B/DH in 2025. But there is value in a guy who, like I said, is a lefty bench bat. As far as Julks, when you posed a question about whether I would pencil in any of Getz' OF acquisitions into next year's lineup, I said Julks. Big deal. I'm not sure why you think it's some big victory when somebody thinks a player could work out and they don't. Or they work out, just not enough to make a difference. 

Julks is currently in a corner OF platoon right now regardless of what I'm saying. Please explain to me how 43 PAs in a half season is a small sample size, but 76 PAs across a whole season isn't. And a hitter having neutral or reverse splits for a season doesn't mean they suck and should be cut. Platoons also work for and against pitchers. Some lefty pitchers just get hit better by righty hitters. The end. 

MLB's average OPS is .709 in 2024. So both Julks and Sheets are both a hot week away from being an average ML hitter.  

The problem is that you don't have a point beyond not liking Chris Getz. Any move he makes, you scream that it's horrible, then use small sample sizes, ignore ML trends and averages, whatever, to pretend that anything supports your hyperbole. 

Since you like what ifs, what if JR did a real GM search and hired the best candidate instead of keepin a yes man. Do you think they would currently have less than 71 losses?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Too bad neither player can achieve and maintain a league average OPS of .709.  The stats and larger sample sizes say they are both sub-.700 OPS players.

Sheets:

2024 OPS:  .693

Career OPS:  .691

Julks:

2024 OPS:  .693

Career OPS:  .661

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Of all that has happened this season, the true indicator of the dysfunction of this organization is the repeated lack of fundamentals, that NEVER seem to improve. And nothing exemplifies that more than today when Robert caught yet another fly ball flat footed and double bounced a weak throw home, after the runner had easily crossed home. And that is followed up by Stone saying that Robert needs to work on getting behind the ball, and have his momentum going forward. Really?

This has been going on since he debuted in 2020, and nobody in this organization has thought to work on this with him over five years. Especially given that he has the athletic tools to be one of the better players in the game, when healthy. If it is being emphasized to Robert and he is not doing it, then that should have been addressed years ago with a few trips to the minors or benchings. If the coaches are not working on it, then each and every one should be let go - because little league, junior high, and high school coaches work on this all the time. Why MLB coaches cannot do that is unacceptable.

What an absolute disgrace this organization has become.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tray said:

The bullpen including Kopech, blew a lot of games and removed any possibility that the Sox could sustain any consistency or momentum.  They made a bad season into an epic disaster.

This was never going to be a good bullpen.  Honestly the rotation has been a minor miracle. If you balance what the rotation has done vs the pen, I think you are probably still in the 60 to 70th percentile of out comes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Since you like what ifs, what if JR did a real GM search and hired the best candidate instead of keepin a yes man. Do you think they would currently have less than 71 losses?

With all of the same restraints that Getz has? (Cut budget, 4 players under contract who get injured or suck, bad PR around league, has to keep Grifol). Maybe he does a little better. I don't know. If new guy came in and cleaned house, I think the rebuild might take longer. 

• Paper Bag 1

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Not sure how much better the record would be,  but they wouldn't have wasted as much time on pointless players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The main point about the White Sox is that the franchise is adrift. Money won't be spent on free agents, and, when it is, it is not spent wisely. So, they are relying on prospects. But many prospects don't work out, and you never know how long it will take for a young player to develop.  So, when will the team truly get better? No one knows and that includes the FO. But we do have an announcer who knows nothing about baseball and growls a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

With all of the same restraints that Getz has? (Cut budget, 4 players under contract who get injured or suck, bad PR around league, has to keep Grifol). Maybe he does a little better. I don't know. If new guy came in and cleaned house, I think the rebuild might take longer. 

Hah, it’s cute that you actually think keeping or firing Grifol was ever Getz’s choice to make.

JR kept Grifol around because he really doesn’t care and wants to fire Grifol at the end of this season to serve as the fall guy for this absolute dumpster fire of a season and to serve as a cushion for him and Getz from receiving all of the criticism.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Hah, it’s cute that you actually think keeping or firing Grifol was ever Getz’s choice to make.

JR kept Grifol around because he really doesn’t care and wants to fire Grifol at the end of this season to serve as the fall guy for this absolute dumpster fire of a season and to serve as a cushion for him and Getz from receiving all of the criticism.

I call keeping Grifol a restraint the hypothetical new GM has to deal with. 

You're agreeing with me, then pretending you're dunking on me. You really don't make any sense. 

• Thanks 1