White Sox select Hagen Smith, 2 preps on day 1

bmags

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

Why would you rush Hagen Smith to the bigs if you don't expect to have a competitive team for at least 2-3 years.  even if he's ready, why would you start his clock before the team is even good. 

keep reading that he could be on the team in 2025 or 2026, are you kidding me.  If he's dominating the minors, try to extend him to a team friendly deal for like 8+ yrs, at least you've got him for a couple more years

I've got bad news for those people who think the Sox are gonna be good in 2 years

I think it won't be the Sox rushing him, he has to the stuff to move himself quickly.  Odds are high he barely even needs to see the A levels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I'll reiterate I love the pick in a vacuum. What's awful is that we are using the drafts as a mean to supplant our star player rather than supplementing them. Hopefully I'm proved wrong there but f*** the Sox if so.

Crochet has been starting for 3 months and is still a massive injury concern. The Sox hit lightning in a bottle here and need to jump on the opportunity to trade him.

• Like 3

• bmags pinned this topic

I think this is a fantastic pick.  You can never have enough pitching.  The other aspect of this is you can flip pitching for quality hitters, you can't do that the other way around in MLB.  

Build the best pitching staff in the majors or American League and the rest will take care of itself.

Now imagine if dumbass Jerry would pony up and pay crochet when time comes.  Imagine what this rotation could be........

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pcq said:

Major issue missing Jac. We need hitters guys. Just my take. 

What a fking joke this organization is ... Jac was by far best available player, future all-star, generational player potential, absolute baller at Florida. They pick this guy because he's a hometown/area code player (read: much cheaper). GMAFB

4 minutes ago, shago said:

What a fking joke this organization is ... Jac was by far best available player, future all-star, generational player potential, absolute baller at Florida. They pick this guy because he's a hometown/area code player (read: much cheaper). GMAFB

I would have been fine with Cags but using another top pick on a 1B would have been risky. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, shago said:

The history of high draft picks being used on 1B's is incredibly awful.  Couple that with some bad chase and swing and miss issues, and I don't think the Sox are the team for him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, shago said:

No he wasn't.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I think this is a fantastic pick.  You can never have enough pitching.  The other aspect of this is you can flip pitching for quality hitters, you can't do that the other way around in MLB.  

Build the best pitching staff in the majors or American League and the rest will take care of itself.

Now imagine if dumbass Jerry would pony up and pay crochet when time comes.  Imagine what this rotation could be........

You can absolutely flip hitting for quality pitching.

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

No he wasn't.

Good catch.  Hagen Smith is from Texas and pitched at Arkansas/  Don't see anything about him in the Area Code games.  Think he might be mixing him up with the next picks.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

You can absolutely flip hitting for quality pitching.

I'm not being argumentative but can you give me some examples from recent years.

I am having a hard time coming up with quality hitters being traded for quality pitchers. 

I am extremely stoked, and massively disappointed in the pick. I'm a huge Hogs fan! It's fantastic that I get to see him on my Sox, but it's also disappointing because I know we will waste his talent. Hagen is player I will always be a fan of, but the best thing that could happen for his career is to be traded after a few years. (I hope I'm wrong)

He's a great kid, with loads of potential. Easily could have went #1 in the draft. 

9 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I'm not being argumentative but can you give me some examples from recent years.

I am having a hard time coming up with quality hitters being traded for quality pitchers. 

Orioles trade Joey Ortiz for Corbin Burnes. Diamondbacks trade Jazz Chisholm for Zac Gallen. Rangers trade Acuna's brother for Scherzer. Astros trade Drew Gilbert for Verlander.

I like the picks. We've done well developing TOR lefties so might as well stick with it. High school kids with the next picks seems smart as well. We're going nowhere fast. Maybe in 2028 they will have emerged and help us up at the big league level.

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

Orioles trade Joey Ortiz for Corbin Burnes. Diamondbacks trade Jazz Chisholm for Zac Gallen. Rangers trade Acuna's brother for Scherzer. Astros trade Drew Gilbert for Verlander.

Fair enough..........

3 hours ago, 2Deep said:

I agree. Develop pitching and acquire bats.

That said, if Wolkow is actually our 6th best positional prospect, we aren’t actually doing that bad there either. If Getz uses the TDL to acquire some more bats, that could easily make up the disparity.

Whatever you think of Getz, the deadline here is going to go a long way towards seeing whether he has any effective plan or not. Hard to complain about the organizational starting pitching depth at this point, though

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bmags said:

I think there should be a hell of a lot more pressure on Marco Paddy than Shirley. Shirley has shown he can bring in an all stars and top 20 prospects without spending $60 million to acquire them. 

Meanwhile Paddy has all but retired when we need international to supplement so badly.

I have a sneaky suspicion we will see change on the Paddy front soon.  

• Like 2