White Sox select Hagen Smith, 2 preps on day 1

bmags

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I have a sneaky suspicion we will see change on the Paddy front soon.  

I would really like to know if the signing style is because of him, or someone like Kenny or Jerry?  We have heard in the past how close we were to top guys, but came in 2nd.  Would be interested if someone is blocking him from working to sign the really young kids, or if someone above was forcing him to keep dollars open for the Cubans.

3 hours ago, 4OCS said:

I agree. Develop pitching and acquire bats.

That said, if Wolkow is actually our 6th best positional prospect, we aren’t actually doing that bad there either. If Getz uses the TDL to acquire some more bats, that could easily make up the disparity.

Whatever you think of Getz, the deadline here is going to go a long way towards seeing whether he has any effective plan or not. Hard to complain about the organizational starting pitching depth at this point, though

Last I heard Wolkow was striking out like Dave Kingman in between home runs

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fully agree.  It’s wild how little we are getting out of our LatAm program.  If you look at BA’s latest update, we only have two LatAm signings in our top 20.  It’s almost like the program is non existent.  I get Reinsdorf is probably a roadblock there to some extent, but at some point you can’t turn a blind eye after years of lackluster production.

Cuban Pipeline/Connection has simply dried up... by and large. 

Yogurt Sanchez

N. Vera

Y. Cousin

Y. Cespedes 

Colas

B. Ramos

Impact players few and far between. 

Edited by caulfield12

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But PA's or total at bats is what you have to be looking at most closely. 

89 strikeouts In 209 plate appearances at Single A this year.  Still bad.

Still a nice prospect though, and it’s early.  Hopefully he can cut his K rate down to 25 to 30%.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

89 strikeouts In 209 plate appearances at Single A this year.  Still bad.

George is only a teenager. He has a ton of talent and is a big kid. (6'7" 240lb.) You s%*# on everything here but I am rooting for him.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tray said:

George is only a teenager. He has a ton of talent and is a big kid. (6'7" 240lb.) You s%*# on everything here but I am rooting for him.

Yeah, I edited my post right when you were posting this.

But you sure were right about Eloy…  oops.

22 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yeah, I edited my post right when you were posting this.

But you sure were right about Eloy…  oops.

What did I say about Eloy that you think was incorrect? WTF are you talking about son.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Not much love for Caleb Bonemer on the board. Shirley was raving about him, James Fox also liked the pick.

Power, can run, bat speed, big strong kid, 

I think he will be good. He seemed to have a wide range of outcomes from the experts.  He at least has high upside if it all pans out.  he was not talked about too much in our draft thread. Kiley Mcdaniel must have had intel late that the Sox were in on him.  His write ups for some reason made me think of Dan Uggla. I looked up his reference page, we should only be so lucky apparently. 235 homers and four all star games for Uggla. 

45 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Not much love for Caleb Bonemer on the board. Shirley was raving about him, James Fox also liked the pick.

Power, can run, bat speed, big strong kid, 

At the very least between this kid and Wolkow, we are going to see where White Sox player Dev is.  They are toolsy af and need a lot of work.  Now is the challenge.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Takes a really strong and longer finger to get that kind of grip on the skin of the ball instead of the seam. Most people can't get good enough spin on the ball with that grip.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Stuff like this sounds so cringey to me.  Just pump up your pick don’t make it the best guy you have ever seen throw a ball

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Stuff like this sounds so cringey to me.  Just pump up your pick don’t make it the best guy you have ever seen throw a ball

I would typically agree, but that superlative was being tossed around after his Oregon St start.  It’s better than hearing  Zack Collins would have been the pick if they had the first pick in the draft.

• Like 1