White Sox select Hagen Smith, 2 preps on day 1

bmags

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I was responding to the poster wanting to keep our new pitcher in the minors for a long, long time. Heaven forbid he get called up early and help us win games. I'd say most of this board only cares about tanking and rebuilding and don't care how long it takes. On the contrary i want to win yesterday. I care not about prospects. Give me wins.

Man, I feel like you read one sentence of a post and make up the rest.   Nobody on this site wants to hold down any player if they are able to play at the major league level.  Nobody.  

What we want, please write this down, is players who are promoted when they are ready and have been coached up to their abilities by the minor league coaches.   Nobody WANTS tanking.  What everybody wants is a good team.  

What everybody, but you and a select others, understands on this site is that this tanking is necessary because the owner will never do the right thing at the right time.  But you can go ahead and keep blaming this site for acknowledging that they fucked up the first rebuild because Jerry wouldn’t do the right thing.  Keep on blaming soxtalk, Greg.  It’s all us 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I was responding to the poster wanting to keep our new pitcher in the minors for a long, long time. Heaven forbid he get called up early and help us win games. I'd say most of this board only cares about tanking and rebuilding and don't care how long it takes. On the contrary i want to win yesterday. I care not about prospects. Give me wins.

This team didn’t tank though. It crashed and burned. They were supposed to be good the last couple years, remember?

6 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Hagen seems like a total stud. I feel kinda bad for him that the World's worst baseball team drafted him

Let's hope we don't ruin him 

This is an ignorant post.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

What everybody, but you and a select others, understands on this site is that this tanking is necessary because the owner will never do the right thing at the right time.  But you can go ahead and keep blaming this site for acknowledging that they fucked up the first rebuild because Jerry wouldn’t do the right thing.  Keep on blaming soxtalk, Greg.  It’s all us 

I often see copycat posting and opinions here that IMO diminish any claim of collective baseball wisdom.  And of course, there have been any number of opinions over time that have eventually proven to be wrong. Best to express your own opinion, even if it might be unpopular, and defend it. Then  admit it was wrong if that turns out to be the case.  I don't think Greg is blaming the forum, but if he is that is not a good idea here where cliques abound. Let me guess now who dislikes my post...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Man, I feel like you read one sentence of a post and make up the rest.   Nobody on this site wants to hold down any player if they are able to play at the major league level.  Nobody.  

What we want, please write this down, is players who are promoted when they are ready and have been coached up to their abilities by the minor league coaches.   Nobody WANTS tanking.  What everybody wants is a good team.  

One thing I will give greg is his work ethic at Soxtalk. He's put in decades at this.  I am old enough to remember when he was a thoughtful and reflective poster.  These days it's a shtick at best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

One thing I will give greg is his work ethic at Soxtalk. He's put in decades at this.  I am old enough to remember when he was a thoughtful and reflective poster.  These days it's a shtick at best.

Yep, it’s definitely a gimmick/shtick.  He’d be great in the WWE.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am old enough to remember when he was a thoughtful and reflective poster. 

I don't recall a time anybody embraced my posts. I tended to stand up for a group of players and of course Oz who got buried by the boards. I can't remember anybody ever saying they agreed with, or liked, any individual post of mine. I truly wish I agreed with everybody on the Sox issues and city of Chicago issues and politics stuff but unfortunately I don't and my posts generally get hammered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep, it’s definitely a gimmick/shtick.  He’d be great in the WWE.

But he's been doing it for 20 years. You do it for that long, you get to own it. He truly believes it.

Others have their own shtick. They are annoying until they get at least a decade in.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

But he's been doing it for 20 years. You do it for that long, you get to own it. He truly believes it.

Others have their own shtick. They are annoying until they get at least a decade in.

Poop.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

I don't recall a time anybody embraced my posts. I tended to stand up for a group of players and of course Oz who got buried by the boards. I can't remember anybody ever saying they agreed with, or liked, any individual post of mine. I truly wish I agreed with everybody on the Sox issues and city of Chicago issues and politics stuff but unfortunately I don't and my posts generally get hammered.

I’m gonna embrace Greg’s post here he was always a bad poster

• Haha 3
  • Paper Bag 1

Law on Sox draft:

Chicago White Sox

The White Sox took the best left-handed pitcher in the draft in Arkansas ace Hagen Smith (1), who finished second in Division I in strikeouts and produced one of the most dominant pitching performances scouts have ever seen in his 17-strikeout outing against Oregon State in February. He’s 92-97 with a plus slider, coming from a lower three-quarters slot with a funky delivery and starts all the way on the extreme first-base side of the rubber, making him tougher on lefties but also making it harder for him to get to his glove side. I think he has No. 2 starter upside but there’s some development required.

I was surprised to hear Caleb Bonemer (2) get picked after a down spring that sparked rumors the Michigan prep product would just go to Virginia, but you could also argue that the White Sox got a guy who was a clear first-rounder coming into the year and are taking advantage of a buy-low opportunity. He’s got plus power and above-average speed, with a dead-pull approach even as he’s changed his swing mechanics multiple times in search of better results. He’s a shortstop now but probably moves to third or second. Florida prep pitcher Blake Larson (2A) is another low-slot left-hander — the White Sox do have a type — who’s very projectable, 92-94 already with a tight slider that should be plus in time, although his delivery looks like it will put stress on the shoulder and he may need some help cleaning it up for durability and control.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

All of us Soxtalk boomers

Back to the first round Draft pick, I found it interesting that Caglionone was selected by KC with the pick following the WSox.  Hopefully, Sox fans will not regret missing out on him, especially if he adds further "thunder" to KC's lineup, which is already powerful. Witt is an absolute stud that is going to be an AllStar for years to come. Also, Caglionone is a pretty good pitcher. So anyway, that is the player I was hoping the Sox would have Drafted.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Quin said:

You can post snippets, but posting Law's entire breakdown is a no-go since The Athletic is behind a paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5640375/2024/07/18/mlb-draft-2024-american-league-report/

Quin:

Wasn't sure of the rules but this is not the entire story. It was simply his comments on the Sox, the rest of the story includes his views on all the other teams. 

No problem though, it won't happen again.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Law on Sox draft:

Pretty complimentary piece after this on the 7th rounder phil fox and him saying he should be pushed to double a soon as he may be a major league bullpen piece already (but also that his pitches will either work now or won't work )

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Pretty complimentary piece after this on the 7th rounder phil fox and him saying he should be pushed to double a soon as he may be a major league bullpen piece already (but also that his pitches will either work now or won't work )

Fox must be funky as hell as nothing about his stuff write up sounded that impressive.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
18 hours ago, tray said:

I often see copycat posting and opinions here that IMO diminish any claim of collective baseball wisdom.  And of course, there have been any number of opinions over time that have eventually proven to be wrong. Best to express your own opinion, even if it might be unpopular, and defend it. Then  admit it was wrong if that turns out to be the case.  I don't think Greg is blaming the forum, but if he is that is not a good idea here where cliques abound. Let me guess now who dislikes my post...

Oh boy cliques and claims of collective wisdom.   Don’t trust what you hear it’s just a echo chamber in here!

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am old enough to remember when Greg posted here he was old. Now that all of us have gotten older, Greg is.. well.. ancient now. 

• Paper Bag 1