2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 2

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd love another high schooler.. Sirota is interesting given his down year .

Sirota would be awesome. Legit tools.

I know Harold threw out the name Eddie Rynders yesterday (before the Bonemer pick) but I would love another prep high schooler who plays a premium position with tools in this system. 

Maybe we find something with some cold weather state prep players having more room to blow up than others, so guessing he's expensive but Dax Whitney would be my favorite.

It's not because of his height at all.

• Like 1

BA with a writeup on the top 5 best available for Day 2.

1. Dakota Jordan, OF, Mississippi State (BA rank: 35)
Jordan is powerfully built at 6-foot, 220 pounds with massive raw power and lightning-quick hands. He’s also a great runner who turns in 70-grade run times. The one concern? Jordan struggles to make consistent contact, which is why he was one of the most polarizing prospects of the class.

2. Drew Beam, RHP, Tennessee (BA rank: 41)
Beam has been a reliable, sturdy performer for Tennessee over the last three years. His fastball sits around 94 mph and can touch 97-98, and he also mixes in a low-80s breaking ball and a solid mid-80s changeup. He’s one of the best strike-throwers in the class, and it’s fairly surprising he’s still on the board given his track record of performance in the SEC.

3. Dax Whitney, RHP, Blackfoot (Idaho) HS (BA rank: 45)
The 6-foot-5 Whitney was a massive riser among preps this spring after showing big velocity, touching 96 mph, and a four-pitch mix at the prep ranks. His 12-to-6 curveball is particularly impressive. A Baseball America first-team All-American, Whitney is aiming to become the fifth high school player from Idaho to get drafted within the first 10 rounds this century. We’ll see if any teams picking at the top of the third round saved enough money to land Whitney, who could instead opt to honor his firm commitment to Oregon State.

4. Joey Oakie, RHP, Ankeny (Iowa) Centennial HS (BA rank: 49)
Baseball America draft expert Carlos Collazo wrote yesterday about the run on high school pitchers in the second round, which could also continue in round three. Oakie is another example of a talented prep arm still available who at one time in the process received some first-round consideration. The 6-foot-3 righty has a 92-95 mph fastball that touches 97 with tremendous armside run. He pairs it with a slider that has tons of sweeping movement. Strike-throwing has been a struggle at times for Oakie however. His long arm action and inconsistent command sometimes gives evaluators more of a reliever look. He is committed to Iowa.

5. Garrett Shull, OF, Enid (Okla.) HS (BA rank: 53)

We’re now arriving at the part of the list where we’ll see if MLB teams finessed their bonus pool situation to snag a prized prep, or if some will instead reach college ranks. Shull, an Oklahoma State commit, is a well-rounded switch-hitter with solid-average power from both sides. He has, at times, showed some elevated swing-and-miss tendencies. Defensively, he profiles as a solid outfielder with speed and arm strength that may fit best in a corner.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/heres-what-to-expect-on-day-2-of-the-2024-mlb-draft/

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

I would be happy with either Whitney or Oakie. I'm not sure the Sox have the $ left in their bonus pool to pay either one. Sorta odd picking Larson ahead of them if they do. Selfishly, I'd like Sirota in part because I watch Kanny's games and it would be nice to have a high draft pick we can watch. Smith isn't pitching this year and I doubt Bonemer or Larson gets out of the complex until 2026

38 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I know Harold threw out the name Eddie Rynders yesterday (before the Bonemer pick) but I would love another prep high schooler who plays a premium position with tools in this system. 

Someones gonna get a good one in Eddie.  

Edited by Harold's Leg Lift

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will throw out that I mentioned Sirota and Dakota Jordan as college players that fit Sox needs.

Dakota Jordan would at least give us a data point in the "sox can't fix guys like that" because for the most part they haven't drafted guys like that. Maybe Evan Skoug? ANd hey, he does have a lower k rate in charlotte than he did his last year at TCU.

I think Jordan (power) or Sirota (BB) would both be good additions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

There is not a more white sox name than Mike Sirota. Mike Sirotka -> Mike Soroka -> Mike Sirota???

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

Dakota Jordan would at least give us a data point in the "sox can't fix guys like that" because for the most part they haven't drafted guys like that. Maybe Evan Skoug? ANd hey, he does have a lower k rate in charlotte than he did his last year at TCU.

I think Jordan (power) or Sirota (BB) would both be good additions.

Agreed.  I'd be happy with either

44 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I would be happy with either Whitney or Oakie. I'm not sure the Sox have the $ left in their bonus pool to pay either one. Sorta odd picking Larson ahead of them if they do. Selfishly, I'd like Sirota in part because I watch Kanny's games and it would be nice to have a high draft pick we can watch. Smith isn't pitching this year and I doubt Bonemer or Larson gets out of the complex until 2026

Shirley, in his first day draft interview, mentioned two interesting things.  First, a kinda vague intimation about Sox using their overage/savings on day one.  I don't have the quote but he kinda stopped a sentence midstream like maybe TMI.  Second, he mentioned higher asks by high schoolers than in the past.  He mentioned 2 million dollar asks and that hopefully after a night of sleep and adjusting to the disappointment of not going day one that prices might come down.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

Shirley, in his first day draft interview, mentioned two interesting things.  First, a kinda vague intimation about Sox using their overage/savings on day one.  I don't have the quote but he kinda stopped a sentence midstream like maybe TMI.  Second, he mentioned higher asks by high schoolers than in the past.  He mentioned 2 million dollar asks and that hopefully after a night of sleep and adjusting to the disappointment of not going day one that prices might come down.  

With NLI, high school kids have more leverage than ever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

Interesting. So you think Smith went underslot, and the amount we saved there was used to sign the two high school picks?

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Interesting. So you think Smith went underslot, and the amount we saved there was used to sign the two high school picks?

Not sure if it was that and/or the 5% of your pool that you can go over without more than a 75%tax.  Beyond the 5%, you lose your first round pick the following year.

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

While I could handle Jordan because he's big and fast and could be an ofer, I am not sure I could handle the same bat issues with DeMartini. Doubt they go him anyway since he's not in shirley's typical profiles.

14 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Hard to believe they had to go over slot on the two HS picks. Seems  those guys went about where they expected or even a bit early. Doesn't seems like blowing potential savings on those two kids makes sense given that a lot of other prep or even collage options would take slot or less.

• Like 1