2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 2

Just now, SoxAce said:

Mayo sees McLain as a 4th outfielder but has a chance to be an average big league starter if the power holds up.

And of course Cleveland gets Oakie. 

Cleveland is an org that can cry poor but actually operate on a budget.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I thought I read somewhere Larson was 200K over.  I couldn't imagine Bonemer being more over than that right?  Assuming Smith cut 700K, we'd still have 1 mil over to spend including our overage.

Bonemer was ranked #36 on BA's board. Not quite sure what he's seeking.

145. Casey Saucke
OF

Ht: 6'3" | Wt: 198 | B-T: R-R

School: Virginia Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 21
BA Grade: 45/High
Tools: Hit: 45. Power: 50. Run: 40. Field: 45. Arm: 60.

Saucke was a solid high school prospect back in 2021 thanks to a projectable frame and a loud combination of bat speed and raw power. He made it to campus at Virginia where he led the team in doubles as a freshman in 2022 and has been a consistent offensive presence in the middle of a consistently strong offensive lineup for three years. His 2024 junior season was his best yet, as the 6-foot-3, 210-pound outfielder and righthanded hitter slashed .344/.407/.578 with a career-high 14 homers. Saucke doesn’t have the most picturesque swing with a crouched setup, high handset and a medium leg kick but he can drive the ball with authority to both gaps and has above-average raw power. Saucke has been a bit strikeout prone at times in his career, but he made strides to cut the 28.6% mark he posted as a freshman into a more manageable 17-18% range in 2023 and 2024. An infielder in high school, Saucke has mostly played right field with Virginia and profiles as a corner outfielder in pro ball thanks to fringe-average speed and stiffer movements in the outfield grass that would likely be stretched in center. He does have a plus arm that would fit nicely in right.

BA's report. #145.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

We are gunna surprise everyone and take him round 7 (ala Wolcow)

You've been having a very good tendency in having post age well lately... 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This was my first pick I am struggling with.  Maybe there is some savings here?

That would be my guess.  Definitely seems like an underwhelming pick upon first glance.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1