2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

These last few guys haven't even had a reason to be interesting.  They aren't something like big, or fast, or wild or something you can maybe work with.  They are physically limited RHPs and relievers with mediocre stuff.  If we are looking at relievers, give me the big kid throwing 95 who can't find the strike zone instead of a 5'9" guy throwing 92.

RIP Taylore Cherry and Storm Throne 

1 minute ago, Quin said:

RIP Taylore Cherry and Storm Throne 

The one really big kid made it to the bigs for like a month last year, which is a month more than any of these other guys will make it.

Lane Ramsey, that's it.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

These last few guys haven't even had a reason to be interesting.  They aren't something like big, or fast, or wild or something you can maybe work with.  They are physically limited RHPs and relievers with mediocre stuff.  If we are looking at relievers, give me the big kid throwing 95 who can't find the strike zone instead of a 5'9" guy throwing 92.

Oh come on, one guy’s highlight is striking someone out cause they leaned over the plate!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

No. Everything over $150K counts against the pool. So like last year, they paid Mathias Lacombe $450K. $300K counts against pool. If they made that selection in rounds 1-10, it would cost $450K against the pool. 

THis - that is why I always assumed you see more of those big reaches come now (where you might take 2 stabs knowing you maybe get 1). Probably more so this year vs. past years given it seems like across the board the high schoolers have a bit of unrealistic expectations (or at least relative to what the MLB teams are willing to do). Probably a lot to still figure out related to NIL / transfer windows.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

That's amazing. Love it for the DAC. I played for MC and got lit up by Lake Central years ago LOL

In baseball that really hasn't changed.  We at least stay with them in football and basketball.

7 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I'm still upset Storm Throne never made it. I had his jersey lined up and all. Amazing baseball name. 

Man was destined to be either a superstar closer or that guy that every fanbase falls in love with cause of his name and he bounces around to like 12 teams.

C'est la vie.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm guessing that both 2nd rounders are overslot. Prep players are expensive. 

Probably, but that's just a curious approach considering they could have gotten equal/better talent (based on rankings) with those picks without having to go overslot.  
They haven't exactly demonstrated talent evaluation abilities above the norm.

The cynical side of me says they just aren't going to spend their money; "You can trade for a comp pick, Chris, but I'm not paying for it."

Edited by GreenSox