2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 2

Well, if we came out even in the first three rounds, we should still have something like $1.5  to $2 million to spend tomorrow (including the overage) after all of the savings in at rounds 6-10.   Got to imagine they have at least 1 million left.

• Like 1

Just now, DirtySox said:

Tomorrow will tell the tale.

For sure.  Liked the top of the draft a lot.  Today was scary, but if they get in 1 or 2 more of the high end HS kids left over, this will work out as an OK draft.

Still hopefully for a guy like Garrett Shull or Sawyer Farr if possible.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/2024/undrafted

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Probably, but that's just a curious approach considering they could have gotten equal/better talent (based on rankings) with those picks without having to go overslot.  
They haven't exactly demonstrated talent evaluation abilities above the norm.

The cynical side of me says they just aren't going to spend their money; "You can trade for a comp pick, Chris, but I'm not paying for it."

Sox have spent to the pool every year fora while. 

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

What a class by Cleveland by the way. Bonkers.

Having $19 million to spend on players is helpful. 

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Probably, but that's just a curious approach considering they could have gotten equal/better talent (based on rankings) with those picks without having to go overslot.  
They haven't exactly demonstrated talent evaluation abilities above the norm.

The cynical side of me says they just aren't going to spend their money; "You can trade for a comp pick, Chris, but I'm not paying for it."

I'm pretty sure the Sox spend their entire allotment every draft. 

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's a really bad draft class but I'm very underwhelmed. 

Harold loves what Getz has done this draft. I guess you guys differ on your opinions of how they drafted so far. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

If the plan is to sign high school kids overslot that you have worked out an agreement with and Round 11 allows you to not count the first $150k against the pool, wouldn't you always wait until Round 11 to do so?

Maybe you get nervous about certain guys getting swooped up? 

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Maybe you get nervous about certain guys getting swooped up? 

That would be the only reason, right? Unless the high school kid is telling teams he's not interested in signing... Is that done anymore?

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm pretty sure the Sox spend their entire allotment every draft. 

Yes, but this is the one year they get an extra pick and you do have to fund it. But like I said, that’s just my cynical side. 

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

If the plan is to sign high school kids overslot that you have worked out an agreement with and Round 11 allows you to not count the first $150k against the pool, wouldn't you always wait until Round 11 to do so?

That has always been my view point.  

12 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

It's always vs slot value, so if it is a 500k slot vs 150k slot, that is 350k that doesn't have to be made up.  The other thing is if someone doesn't sign in rounds 1-10, you completely lose all of those dollars from your pool.  If it happens in rounds 11+, nothing happens to your pool.

Don't the Sox always get really creative with this stuff? Last year it was for Wolkow, right? I'd wait until it's over before making any judgements. It seems like development has always been a bigger issue than drafting. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 2

If they went significantly over slot on the prep kids it just looks like a really poor strategy. There were likely guys on the board you could have taken under slot and not punted the rest of day 2.

• Like 1