2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 2

37 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

If they went significantly over slot on the prep kids it just looks like a really poor strategy. There were likely guys on the board you could have taken under slot and not punted the rest of day 2.

Exactly.  There were other players they could have taken of equal ability who wouldn't have required overslot.
OR actually go overslot for a player whose talent warrants it rather than reaching.

Edited by GreenSox

22 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

If they went significantly over slot on the prep kids it just looks like a really poor strategy. There were likely guys on the board you could have taken under slot and not punted the rest of day 2.

The class isn’t good enough to pay slot all the way through. I’d much rather take Caleb Bonemar than give slot to bad players who don’t deserve it in 7-10. It’s a bad draft class 

• Thanks 1

The depth wasn’t as strong as I expected with getting another comp pick, but I like the first 5 picks. I don’t have any hopes for something that special tomorrow.

MLB draft is such a crapshoot that if we hit on at least 2 picks, it's a win. Smith seems like a no brainer and Bonemar has such lightning tools that I'm really not worried about anything else. 

The only way for us to climb our way out of this hole is to trade well and fill it in with draft picks that hit. It seems like we've been fairly exceptional at developing pitching since the early 90's. At some point our luck with position players has to change. 

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

The depth wasn’t as strong as I expected with getting another comp pick, but I like the first 5 picks. I don’t have any hopes for something that special tomorrow.

Agreed but I’m not sure what the $$ is being spent on 

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Is there any chance we're in on a really high upside HS that everyone else sees as a won't ever sign?

I mean I suppose. More likely to be a college RSO though I’d think 

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Maybe I'm just that delusional, but I think we draft pretty well and there has to be some kind of plan. Not everything can just be "jerry's a cheap pos." 

They haven’t been cheap in the draft in a long time 

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Maybe I'm just that delusional, but I think we draft pretty well and there has to be some kind of plan. Not everything can just be "jerry's a cheap pos." 

We might just be severely underestimating what the prep selections are going to cost. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Wolkow seemed to come out of nowhere. 

Wolkow was in the 7th round. It’s harder to sign a guy for a million after round ten.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Pitching?  Sure.  Anything else?  No.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Pitching?  Sure.  Anything else?  No.

We've drafted position players fairly well too. We just haven't developed them. Generally ,we've been conservative with position players, but it's not like our drafts have been backwards k's. 

35 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

We've drafted position players fairly well too. We just haven't developed them. Generally ,we've been conservative with position players, but it's not like our drafts have been backwards k's. 

This is an amazing politician answer.

"We've drafted good position players. They just didn't do well."

• Haha 1

Short of a big singing tomorrow I don't see the value in 2A/B to offset the underwhelming 3-10 picks. I've felt pretty good about the last two years and even the senior signs had some interesting attributes. But just not seeing a lot to get excited about the entire day 2 result. This and next year's draft were key to adding some impact bats that would set a foundation for the rebuild and I'm left feeling very underwhelmed.

10 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

Short of a big singing tomorrow I don't see the value in 2A/B to offset the underwhelming 3-10 picks. I've felt pretty good about the last two years and even the senior signs had some interesting attributes. But just not seeing a lot to get excited about the entire day 2 result. This and next year's draft were key to adding some impact bats that would set a foundation for the rebuild and I'm left feeling very underwhelmed.

Caleb Bonemer ranked #36 in the class at BA. I’m guessing the White Sox feel similarly or higher 

27 minutes ago, Quin said:

This is an amazing politician answer.

"We've drafted good position players. They just didn't do well."

I think it's fairly accurate. If you look at the history of our draft picks, most have been really positive with the exception of Madrigal and Fulmer. Some people were pissed about Gonzalez, but that's just because Keith Law didn't like him and Law has a cult. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

Bonemer is the least of my concerns. Everything that kid does screams talent. Odds are that he won't make it, but I'll take my chances with an athletic kid that swings the bat like he's being attacked by demons. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

Who have we drafted as a position player in say the last 10 years who has dine anything?

19 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

Especially if you are trying add talent to win in the next few years 

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I think it's fairly accurate. If you look at the history of our draft picks, most have been really positive with the exception of Madrigal and Fulmer. Some people were pissed about Gonzalez, but that's just because Keith Law didn't like him and Law has a cult. 

This is three years old, but it's not like the Sox have had their fortunes change for the better in the past 3 years.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Who have we drafted as a position player in say the last 10 years who has dine anything?

The conversation is Vaughn, Burger and Collins. The only one of those picks I don't like is Burger, and it's only because of health. I still kind of have hope for Vaughn and Collins had such a good eye and natural power that I get the pick. Collins just didn't work out. It happens. Beyond that, the last position player we took was Anderson, and he was a star until his life destroyed his career.