2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 2

1 minute ago, mac9001 said:

Hard to believe they had to go over slot on the two HS picks. Seems  those guys went about where they expected or even a bit early. Doesn't seems like blowing potential savings on those two kids makes sense given that a lot of other prep or even collage options would take slot or less.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. But the part about high school kids asking for more than ever before got me wondering. 

Ryan Prager sounds interesting in his write up.  A command lefty would be a bit of a change of pace from some of our hard throwers.  Hope he doesn't become a guardian lol.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

Hard to believe they had to go over slot on the two HS picks. Seems  those guys went about where they expected or even a bit early. Doesn't seems like blowing potential savings on those two kids makes sense given that a lot of other prep or even collage options would take slot or less.

The top high school kids are looking at a ton of NIL money.  Especially once you get to day 2, a lot of them will make more in NIL then they will in their signing bonus.  Unless they really want to go pro, they don't have to for money anymore

11 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

Agreed. Sounds like Larson is slightly over (200K).  I imagine we still have ~500K to go over for another interesting guy today.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

Thatcher Hurd is a name I've heard about for at least 3 years now. Wonder if the Sox look at someone like that to draft in the later rounds as a potential stud bullpen piece down the road. 

Law really likes him. Ranked him 34th.

Scouting Report
Bats: L, Throws: R
Stovall finally got healthy a few weeks into this spring and had his best year at the plate since getting to Fayetteville, showing a solid approach at the plate with an outstanding swing and excellent pitch recognition. He could stand to walk more, with an 8.6 percent overall walk rate on the season, but doesn’t chase excessively and rarely whiffs on pitches in the zone — 14 percent of the time, according to data from Synergy Sports.

Stovall has excellent hand acceleration and a short path to the ball, with enough loft in his finish to put the ball in the air. He stays back through contact and doesn’t transfer his weight much to his front side for big power, which could be an area for player development to work on, as he has plenty of strength on his 5-11 frame. He’s a 45 defender at second, so this is a bet on the swing and hit tool, and the potential for a little more power down the road.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am hoping Sirota here if I had to pick one name.

Doyle basically said ion a Sox pod he’s got some “cancer” or bad character to him. I agree though, he’s super enticing to take here in round 3 with the upside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peanut33tillman said:

Doyle basically said ion a Sox pod he’s got some “cancer” or bad character to him. I agree though, he’s super enticing to take here in round 3 with the upside.

The White Sox don't seem to care about character issues anymore.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

With NLI, high school kids have more leverage than ever.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The top high school kids are looking at a ton of NIL money.  Especially once you get to day 2, a lot of them will make more in NIL then they will in their signing bonus.  Unless they really want to go pro, they don't have to for money anymore

Shirley basically the said the opposite last night and I know it's true in football from coaching. Not a ton of playing time for college freshman due to the transfer portal. If someone is offering you over $1 million to play baseball, you should take it. 

• Like 3