2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 2

208. Nick McLain
OF

Ht: 5'10" | Wt: 185 | B-T: S-L

School: Arizona State Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 21.6
Nick is the youngest brother of the McLain siblings, who also include 2021 first-round shortstop Matt and 2022 fifth-round shortstop Sean. Nick started his career at UCLA, like his eldest brother, but didn’t play in a game in 2022 and transferred to Arizona State in 2023 where he became the team’ s primary right fielder for the next two seasons and managed a 1.000+ OPS in each year. He hit .342/.457/.663 this spring with a career-high 12 home runs and more walks than strikeouts. McLain has dealt with hamate injuries that have limited him at times with Arizona State, but when healthy he’s shown an average hit tool and has a chance for average power as well. He’s got a strong arm that would suit him in right field, but he doesn’t have the typical right field build—he’s listed at 5-foot-10, 185 pounds—or raw power so he’s a bit of a tweener outfield prospect with average speed that probably won’t allow him to play center.

#208 on BA's list.

Edited by DirtySox

What is Getz’s obsession with undersized corner outfielders?

”He’s got a strong arm that would suit him in right field, but he doesn’t have the typical right field build—he’s listed at 5-foot-10, 185 pounds—or raw power so he’s a bit of a tweener outfield prospect with average speed that probably won’t allow him to play center.”

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

What is Getz’s obsession with undersized corner outfielders?

He’s got a strong arm that would suit him in right field, but he doesn’t have the typical right field build—he’s listed at 5-foot-10, 185 pounds—or raw power so he’s a bit of a tweener outfield prospect with average speed that probably won’t allow him to play center.”

You think Chris Getz made this pick? I know you like to whine about everything, but this ain't it.

• Like 7

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Looks like this year was his first year as a full time starter.  Looks like he handled his own. I like seeing his BB/K ratio.

More walks then strikeouts always pleases me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

You think Chris Getz made this pick? I know you like to whine about everything, but this ain't it.

Okay then, the “Sox front office’s obsession with undersized outfielders.”

5’10, 185, average speed, and he can’t play CF adequately apparently.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I still assume we have another pretty highly rated highschooler somewhere here.  Simply because I am not seeing where our presumed  Smith 'savings' have gone yet.

If there are savings it might be going towards Larson and Bonemer. That's what Shirley alluded to last night anyways.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

An injury plagued small OF.

Huh.

Two of the injuries were fractures of the hamate on each hand. On the plus side he doesn't have anymore hamate bones to fracture so maybe he's done with them. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, DirtySox said:

If there are savings it might be going towards Larson and Bonemer. That's what Shirley alluded to last night anyways.

I thought I read somewhere Larson was 200K over.  I couldn't imagine Bonemer being more over than that right?  Assuming Smith cut 700K, we'd still have 1 mil over to spend including our overage.