2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 2

I know it doesn't mean a whole lot, but according to MLB.com every player they have drafted was either right at rank (Smith) or well before they were ranked.

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Strategically, why wouldn't you draft your money savers after drafting the high school guy you want?  

Banking more money with the higher slot value. You only tank one instead of multiple, cheaper slots.

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Peyton Olejnik.  Oh god.  If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.  If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.  If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

So, what are you saying?

15 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Strategically, why wouldn't you draft your money savers after drafting the high school guy you want?  

Because of cap spaces for each slot are bigger earlier.  This Sox pick has a slot value of 375k.  Sign him for $10k that is $365k, left over they can use later.  The Sox pick in the 10th round is for $185k, so the same senior signing for 10k only saves $175k.  By making this pick they generate $200,000 extra dollars they can use later.  Once you get past round 10 there are no rewards for coming in under the slot value, which is $125k, but they will penalize you for anything over that number.

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Do we think we are gonna get the Minooka kid?  Is that this year's overslot local prep named George?

No idea if the Sox are into him, but yes his name is Nate George.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

No idea if the Sox are into him, but yes his name is Nate George.

One time I had to go to Minooka/Morris to give a presentation for work.

Afterwards, I walked to a pizza place with slot machines to call for an uber and charge my cell phone.  The waitress laughed and said "we don't have ubers out here" and asked me where I was going and I said "downtown" and she responded "which downtown?"

About two hours later, the restaurant was going to close and the waitress asked her dad to drive me to a Holiday Inn because nothing else was open. 

Just then, an uber showed up.  

They were nice people.  I'm rooting for Nate George. 

• Like 1