2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 2

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Who exactly have they drafted that was ranked much higher than the draft position, such that they warrant overslot, for which punting is required?

Or perhaps that player has yet to be drafted.

I'm guessing that both 2nd rounders are overslot. Prep players are expensive. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Who exactly have they drafted that was ranked much higher than the draft position, such that they warrant overslot, for which punting is required?

Or perhaps that player has yet to be drafted.

Probably a little of both.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This is where I am at.  No way rounds 2 were that much over.. We HAVE to have around 1 million over still.. Got to be something coming.  Day 2 so far is very confusing (so far). 

It either means Hagen Smith was much closer to slot than we thought, or they have someone set up after the 10th round.

• Like 1

I think Smith was very close to slot.  Burns went 2 to Cincy.  Bet he took a big discount.  Slot value 2 vs 5 difference was 2 million.  That's how after 5 rounds and 6 picks, Cincy had 6 MLB top 80 while Sox had 2

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It either means Hagen Smith was much closer to slot than we thought, or they have someone set up after the 10th round.

What is the rule after the 10th? They can pay whatever they want just don't go over the 5% overage before losing a pick?

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

What is the rule after the 10th? They can pay whatever they want just don't go over the 5% overage before losing a pick?

Anything over $125k counts against your allotment.  Anything at or under that number does not.  So a million dollar signing means you have to find $875k in savings somewhere else. 

That isn't counting the 5% overage which can also be utilized, and for the Sox looks like $730k. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Anything over $125k counts against your allotment.  Anything at or under that number does not.  So a million dollar signing means you have to find $875k in savings somewhere else. 

That isn't counting the 5% overage which can also be utilized, and for the Sox looks like $730k. 

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

No. Everything over $150K counts against the pool. So like last year, they paid Mathias Lacombe $450K. $300K counts against pool. If they made that selection in rounds 1-10, it would cost $450K against the pool. 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

No. Everything over $150K counts against the pool. So like last year, they paid Mathias Lacombe $450K. $300K counts against pool. If they made that selection in rounds 1-10, it would cost $450K against the pool. 

God, I hate the MLB draft almost as much as I hate the NBA cap and I am grateful for you to explain it.

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Did it bump up to 150?  I thought it was 125k, but yeah, the idea works the same even with a different number.

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

So its likely that anyone else exciting will be a Round 11 or later pick?