2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 3 1pm start

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

None of those guys have gotten to the majors right?  I also don't see any of them in our top 30, at least at MLB so far.

No, and no. However, in the round Elko was picked (2022, 10), none of those players have made the majors, and only two are within their team's MLB top 30 list:

Cubs - Brody McCullough (21)
Astros - Zach Cole (5)

The Cubs have a top ranked system, the Astros a bottom ranked. 16 teams payed that spot $50k or lower, 14 paid higher. 

So, by your measure, the Sox have done no worse by "punting" the pick than saving money for a higher ranked pick. 

I'm not looking up the other two. 

18 minutes ago, T R U said:

What is this supposed to mean? That those "punted" players are actually good?

I think you have the opinion that until a player excels in the majors, or is recognized as a top ranked prospect, they suck. Elko has hit his way to AA, and Ellard and Luna are seen as future bullpen arms. It's not like they took Jerry Reinsdorf's grandkid in the 10th round. 

• Haha 1

From CBS.......

Chicago White Sox

It's a little too on the nose that the White Sox drafted Hagen Smith with their first pick, but what's one more low-slot lefty for the organization best known for them? I was a little lower on Smith than the consensus because of a bloated walk rate (he issued free passes more than 10% of the time), yet there's no denying his swing-and-miss ability. Second-round pick Caleb Bonemer had a chance to launch himself into first-round consideration this spring; he didn't do that, but he has a fast bat and a chance to stick on the left side of the infield, even if it's not necessarily shortstop. It'll be interesting to see if the White Sox try to get lefty Blake Larson to chuck his slider any harder than he does. Whatever the case, he's an interesting arm and -- yes, also a lower-slot lefty to boot. Grade: B

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

No, and no. However, in the round Elko was picked (2022, 10), none of those players have made the majors, and only two are within their team's MLB top 30 list:

Cubs - Brody McCullough (21)
Astros - Zach Cole (5)

The Cubs have a top ranked system, the Astros a bottom ranked. 16 teams payed that spot $50k or lower, 14 paid higher. 

So, by your measure, the Sox have done no worse by "punting" the pick than saving money for a higher ranked pick. 

I'm not looking up the other two. 

Then why does he matter, exactly?

Some things that are interesting about Miller-Greens stat line… he has a good strike out clip… less than 15%.

He seems to hardly ever hit it on the ground.

In about 50 games this year he was hit by a pitch 15 times and walked intentionally 11 times. ?

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Then why does he matter, exactly?

Because some are complaining about picking 4th and 5th year seniors as a "punt", and doing so is really not much worse than just picking players with a bit more leverage. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's wild to me that we are getting more interesting senior signs now than we did yesterday.

Alot of the guys they drafted today are 20-21. It's nice to see. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

Because some are complaining about picking 4th and 5th year seniors as a "punt", and doing so is really not much worse than just picking players with a bit more leverage. 

So you randomly picked the number of ranked players for one year in the 10th round to come to the conclusion that 5 rounds worth of those picks is normal?  I am not sure what you are on, but sure.  Roll with it.,

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Alot of the guys they drafted today are 20-21. It's nice to see. 

Plus there are more physical specimen's and one loud tool type players.  I know you probably aren't drafting real players here, but I do like them looking for something they can try to work with.  Go back to a guy like Duke Ellis and his 80 speed, or the guy who hits 101 and can't find the zone.  Give me a tool you can't teach and see if we can do something with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I think you have the opinion that until a player excels in the majors, or is recognized as a top ranked prospect, they suck. Elko has hit his way to AA, and Ellard and Luna are seen as future bullpen arms. It's not like they took Jerry Reinsdorf's grandkid in the 10th round. 

I mean, these are all 25/26 year old filler players who most likely will never see the majors. The way you used them in your post was just odd to me. Tim Elko having a decent minor league career and never making it to the show doesn't mean he wasn't a punt pick.

I get that these type of picks happen every year, but like I said you worded it as if they were punts who are now future pieces.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah back to this.  This is the exact same draft we have done since 2020.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox only punted 1 round in 2023.  And they still paid a big bonus in round 7.  i thought they had changed.

This year they punt 5 rounds, and really didn't get a player of the talent that should warrant any punting at all.

That interview in I think Future Sox really seemed like Shirley was unprepared for the nuances of this draft.

If you don't want to ever punt picks, you're taking 20 college players every draft. That's just the way it works. If you want early round high school talent, the money has to come from somewhere. Shirley isn't unprepared. He's actually pretty good at this. Their 2022 draft might be one of the best in the sport. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

this draft was bad, quite possible they had fewer players they were interested in, every team did, and it made sense to pay for a player they liked because presumably other teams also had fewer players they were honing in on. On top of that, a lot of the top high schoolers clearly were expensive and many other teams passed up on them. 

I don't know i'm not that offended by this draft. I wasn't excited for it, and don't expect to look back at this with fomo.

Yeah the class seems fine now. Day three is a nice rebound. 

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's wild to me that we are getting more interesting senior signs now than we did yesterday.

You have to think of rounds 6-10 as basically 16-20 in actuality. That's how this works sometimes. Grab some really cheap guys to ensure that you can utilize the entire bonus pool. This isn't a draft class where it made sense to pay slot values in every round. There aren't enough good players. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If you don't want to ever punt picks, you're taking 20 college players every draft. That's just the way it works. If you want early round high school talent, the money has to come from somewhere. Shirley isn't unprepared. He's actually pretty good at this. Their 2022 draft might be one of the best in the sport. 

Yeah the class seems fine now. Day three is a nice rebound. 

You have to think of rounds 6-10 as basically 16-20 in actuality. That's how this works sometimes. Grab some really cheap guys to ensure that you can utilize the entire bonus pool. This isn't a draft class where it made sense to pay slot values in every round. There aren't enough good players. 

I get there are some of these guys in every class, but it just feels like this specific group of them was much worse than usual, and we didn't get much for it.  Hopefully some of them make me look back, but it is basically a 5ish man class as it stands now, and it seems to lack the group of guys who maybe could break out if something interesting happens.  There just isn't much in the way of either high ceilings, or even high floors.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So you randomly picked the number of ranked players for one year in the 10th round to come to the conclusion that 5 rounds worth of those picks is normal?  I am not sure what you are on, but sure.  Roll with it.,

Randomly? No. I gave you examples of "punted" picks who have progressed through the system, and weren't throwaway players. You presented "being in the majors" or "on a club's top 30" as a measure of whether they were any good. I selected one player, did a search of his draft round to compare him to his contemporaries. 

In that draft, 2/3 of the teams did some sort of punt on 1+ rounds to pull back money. Some teams started punting in the 5th round. I don't know why you treat something that many teams do depending on the draft year as something wild and out of the ordinary. I suppose it fits your "Chris Getz doesn't know a thing about baseball" narrative. 

It's also weird that you start asking derailing questions, then get angry and dismissive when they're thoroughly answered for you. 

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Randomly? No. I gave you examples of "punted" picks who have progressed through the system, and weren't throwaway players. You presented "being in the majors" or "on a club's top 30" as a measure of whether they were any good. I selected one player, did a search of his draft round to compare him to his contemporaries. 

In that draft, 2/3 of the teams did some sort of punt on 1+ rounds to pull back money. Some teams started punting in the 5th round. I don't know why you treat something that many teams do depending on the draft year as something wild and out of the ordinary. I suppose it fits your "Chris Getz doesn't know a thing about baseball" narrative. 

It's also weird that you start asking derailing questions, then get angry and dismissive when they're thoroughly answered for you. 

Ah, this is back to the Getz is God quest.  As you were soldier.

• Haha 1