2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 3 1pm start

1 hour ago, Tony said:

But just like the draft system is different in MLB, so is BPA. BPA in the MLB Draft isn't about the player TODAY. It's about projection and what you believe the player will develop into. To me, BPA has always meant not drafting for a need or position. I've never agreed with the thought of "The system is really thin on catchers, we need to draft one in the first three rounds." You take the the player who you think has the best opportunity to develop into a quality major leaguer. (This doesn't account for player preference based on organizational strengths in development, which I do think is a real thing and if an organization believes they can develop a certain type of player better, I can get on board with that to some degree)

I get this but the reality is when you are projecting three years out your error bars are going to be large enough that you have player tiers and not distinct rankings that X player is 5% better but we need a catcher. Secondary considerations like position would be a tie breaker if you are organizationally unbalanced.

21 minutes ago, bighurt4life said:

Every sport drafts players based on how good they will be down the road. Very few athletes come out of college (or HS obviously) a finished product. Some are high floor/low ceiling and vice versa. They’re all about figuring out how good this 19-21 year old will be when they’re 27-28 and in their prime. 

My complaint about the mlb draft is the crazy way teams pick people to sign them underslot/overslot then draft college seniors 5 rounds in a row and pay them $10k so they can draft a HS kid in round 17 and pay him $1mil etc…. It is just such an ass backwards way of going about business. Why not just have hard slot values and pick whomever you think best fits the value of that slot? The way it’s done now is so over the top convoluted it’s insane to me. Just my two cents

They aren't doing that actually, they aren't even on contract in their prime. They are absolutely thinking about how productive they will be by year 2. If you are unable to contribute until year 3 or 4 you are going to be dropped much lower. In baseball that's literally every player, and they have them on contract for at least 6 years. It's not the same draft.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2024 at 3:36 PM, GreenSox said:

The Sox only punted 1 round in 2023.  And they still paid a big bonus in round 7.  i thought they had changed.

This year they punt 5 rounds, and really didn't get a player of the talent that should warrant any punting at all.

That interview in I think Future Sox really seemed like Shirley was unprepared for the nuances of this draft.

Who are the punts and who are the picks worth a damn as of Draft summer?

• Like 1