2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 3 1pm start

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not necessarily bad idea to try for impact. Quality over quantity,  I guess. 

But that's not what they did.  It's not like they got a first round player with their 2nd or 3rd picks; or a 2nd round player with the 7th round pick like last year.  The players they are throwing away picks for were picked near where they were ranked, or earlier. 

41 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Building velocity is nearly impossible with any significance barring injury or growth from a HS kid.

The sox just added like 2 MPH yoy organizationally. This happened as well for the Astros a few years back and some other teams. There are absolutely ways to add velocity. 

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

But that's not what they did.  It's not like they got a first round player with their 2nd or 3rd picks; or a 2nd round player with the 7th round pick like last year.  The players they are throwing away picks for were picked near where they were ranked, or earlier. 

this draft was bad, quite possible they had fewer players they were interested in, every team did, and it made sense to pay for a player they liked because presumably other teams also had fewer players they were honing in on. On top of that, a lot of the top high schoolers clearly were expensive and many other teams passed up on them. 

I don't know i'm not that offended by this draft. I wasn't excited for it, and don't expect to look back at this with fomo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The sox just added like 2 MPH yoy organizationally. This happened as well for the Astros a few years back and some other teams. There are absolutely ways to add velocity. 

cleveland literally take command guys with physical projection and find velo. it's their whole model.

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox only punted 1 round in 2023.  And they still paid a big bonus in round 7.  i thought they had changed.

This year they punt 5 rounds, and really didn't get a player of the talent that should warrant any punting at all.

That interview in I think Future Sox really seemed like Shirley was unprepared for the nuances of this draft.

Tim Elko was a "punted" pick in 2022. Fraser Ellard and Gil Luna were "punted" picks in 2021. 

James Fox keeps popping in and telling us it is a very light draft class. I think they made sure to get the guys they liked, and then they're loading up on the position they develop well. 

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

is that because of player's increasing velocity, or players we brought into the system like Grant Taylor throwing 99?

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

is that because of player's increasing velocity, or players we brought into the system like Grant Taylor throwing 99?

No way there'd be enough turnover for that kind of boost.

13 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Correct. However with the new age of NIL in college it may cost significantly more to get the HS kids in round 2 to skip school. If you don't believe they are quality prospects, that's a different story.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Tim Elko was a "punted" pick in 2022. Fraser Ellard and Gil Luna were "punted" picks in 2021. 

James Fox keeps popping in and telling us it is a very light draft class. I think they made sure to get the guys they liked, and then they're loading up on the position they develop well. 

None of those guys have gotten to the majors right?  I also don't see any of them in our top 30, at least at MLB so far.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You can add it but depending on the pitcher, is 1-2 significant? From 92-93,?

98-100. Maybe for some but not others. 

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I really like his 8.7 BB per 9

Maybe we have a pitching coordinator who sees something he can work his magic on… what’s his name???

Don Cooper, I think.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

What is this supposed to mean? That those "punted" players are actually good?