2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 3 1pm start

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's probably the build up expectation for this year being something different being pitching by a couple of people, but outside of the lottery ticket in the 20th round, this felt like every Rick Hahn draft ever.

The first 6 picks are all prospects as well as the first three on day three. 

14 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There's a rumor that a day 1 guy (not a Sox draftee) isn't going to sign so this is a smart move.

Interesting.  Did the player/agent go back on a deal or did the team not do it's due diligence on the contract demands?

49 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There's a rumor that a day 1 guy (not a Sox draftee) isn't going to sign so this is a smart move.

The issue with this is that you lose the pick and the bonus pool space anyway. In theory, if Bonemer was supposed to get $3 million and didn’t sign, the Sox would lose the ability to spend the slot of $2.2 million at 43. They could only use whatever the overslot portion was. 

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

You have to think of rounds 6-10 as basically 16-20 in actuality. That's how this works sometimes. Grab some really cheap guys to ensure that you can utilize the entire bonus pool. This isn't a draft class where it made sense to pay slot values in every round. There aren't enough good players. 

The MLB draft system is crazy to me. NFL/NBA drafts are so much more straight forward i.e. teams pick whomever they think is the best player for them and move on. I get that in the MLB they can draft HS players and this changes the algebra a bit but I still think that the MLB could simplify the system dramatically by implementing an actual slot system instead of the suggested slot system they use now.  I feel like MLB keeps their outdated and overly convoluted draft system simply because “that’s how we’ve always done it”. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bighurt4life said:

The MLB draft system is crazy to me. NFL/NBA drafts are so much more straight forward i.e. teams pick whomever they think is the best player for them and move on. I get that in the MLB they can draft HS players and this changes the algebra a bit but I still think that the MLB could simplify the system dramatically by implementing an actual slot system instead of the suggested slot system they use now.  I feel like MLB keeps their outdated and overly convoluted draft system simply because “that’s how we’ve always done it”. 

I like this better, and this system isn’t “how we’ve always done it”, it’s only about  12 years old.

MLB draft will never be straight forward because they are picking players based on what they could be in 3 years physically, let alone talent wise. “BPA” is a much more fluid concept.

Andrew Vaughn was certainly “BPA” over CJ Abrams in 2019, he was older and already accomplished destroying college baseball. But Abram’s had a much higher ceiling and lo and behold he is an all star and Vaughn sucks.

LOL     If Grant Smith were Hagen Smith's little brother, you could give him 150k without counting against your pool.  You could drop Hagen by 150k , again LOL.  Next year we need a first rounder with ten to twenty little brothers/cousins.  We save millions and sign EVERYBODY.   LOL system beaten

2 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

LOL     If Grant Smith were Hagen Smith's little brother, you could give him 150k without counting against your pool.  You could drop Hagen by 150k , again LOL.  Next year we need a first rounder with ten to twenty little brothers/cousins.  We save millions and sign EVERYBODY.   LOL system beaten

Pretty sure someone when to jail for doing that internationally.  Wasn't that the Braves skimming operation?

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I like this better, and this system isn’t “how we’ve always done it”, it’s only about  12 years old.

MLB draft will never be straight forward because they are picking players based on what they could be in 3 years physically, let alone talent wise. “BPA” is a much more fluid concept.

Andrew Vaughn was certainly “BPA” over CJ Abrams in 2019, he was older and already accomplished destroying college baseball. But Abram’s had a much higher ceiling and lo and behold he is an all star and Vaughn sucks.

But just like the draft system is different in MLB, so is BPA. BPA in the MLB Draft isn't about the player TODAY. It's about projection and what you believe the player will develop into. To me, BPA has always meant not drafting for a need or position. I've never agreed with the thought of "The system is really thin on catchers, we need to draft one in the first three rounds." You take the the player who you think has the best opportunity to develop into a quality major leaguer. (This doesn't account for player preference based on organizational strengths in development, which I do think is a real thing and if an organization believes they can develop a certain type of player better, I can get on board with that to some degree)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

But just like the draft system is different in MLB, so is BPA. BPA in the MLB Draft isn't about the player TODAY. It's about projection and what you believe the player will develop into. To me, BPA has always meant not drafting for a need or position. I've never agreed with the thought of "The system is really thin on catchers, we need to draft one in the first three rounds." You take the the player who you think has the best opportunity to develop into a quality major leaguer. (This doesn't account for player preference based on organizational strengths in development, which I do think is a real thing and if an organization believes they can develop a certain type of player better, I can get on board with that to some degree)

Yeah I was about to say the same thing. I look at best player available as what their outcome will be in the future.

5 hours ago, bmags said:

Every sport drafts players based on how good they will be down the road. Very few athletes come out of college (or HS obviously) a finished product. Some are high floor/low ceiling and vice versa. They’re all about figuring out how good this 19-21 year old will be when they’re 27-28 and in their prime. 

My complaint about the mlb draft is the crazy way teams pick people to sign them underslot/overslot then draft college seniors 5 rounds in a row and pay them $10k so they can draft a HS kid in round 17 and pay him $1mil etc…. It is just such an ass backwards way of going about business. Why not just have hard slot values and pick whomever you think best fits the value of that slot? The way it’s done now is so over the top convoluted it’s insane to me. Just my two cents