White Sox broadcast rated dead last

Schrifffen is just bad, and I don't think he'll improve. I don't know why Stone is still doing this. He should be able to find something else to do. We shouldn't have to use the mute button to watch a game.

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Surprised to see Detroit so high, considering Kirk Gibson is a really tough listen. Must mean Jason is really good. (He is)

And when the call in the booth matches the atrocious product on the field, it should come as no surprise Schrif is ranked dead last. He is really bad.

Schriffen would be a lot easier to listen to if the team was at least average. There isn't anything regarding the White sox he doesn't try to sell at less than elite. 

But I do think a lot of his schtick I would find enjoyable if the team was good. He reminds me of that Bear a few years ago who did a sack dance when they were down 40, and messed up his knee. A sack dance, a bat flip, all that stuff is great when used when its supposed to be used. But it looks so amateurish when used incorrectly. One article I read did point out he was at ESPN for years, and it wasn't like he was getting plum assignments. He wasn't getting fired either . So he probably isn't awful. 27-71 doesn't help. But just about every game there's something you can tell he needs to work on. 

27 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Remember all the fools that celebrated Jason being gone? Idiots.

I didn’t even think Jason was the greatest like some people think, but Schriffen has made me reassess.  Jason was definitely better but Schriffen being absolutely terrible probably makes people miss Benetti even more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I didn’t even think Jason was the greatest like some people think, but Schriffen has made me reassess.  Jason was definitely better but Schriffen being absolutely terrible probably makes people miss Benetti even more.

Like replacing Tony with Grifol :)

49 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Remember all the fools that celebrated Jason being gone? Idiots.

I'm one of those idiots. Still happy Jason is gone. But like typical Jerry fashion, he hires someone who is way worse and will make you miss what you had (i.e. La Russa over Ricky). 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Jason is really, really, really good at what he does.  It took me hearing him with other guys and some time to really appreciate his style, but he is one of the best there is.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Jason is really, really, really good at what he does.  It took me hearing him with other guys and some time to really appreciate his style, but he is one of the best there is.

Think of it this way: Jason is calling Team USA games right now. Would NBC trust John Schriffen to do that?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Jason away from Steve is about as good as it gets.

• Like 2

Another s%*# on Schriffen thread.

Someday people will realize whatever these ratings are and however they rate announcers.......if the sox were 16 games over .500 it wouldn't matter and the ratings would be totally different.

People s%*# on the organization for everything (They deserve it)............but it's easy/convenient  to hate on them

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Another s%*# on Schriffen thread.

Someday people will realize whatever these ratings are and however they rate announcers.......if the sox were 16 games over .500 it wouldn't matter and the ratings would be totally different.

People s%*# on the organization for everything (They deserve it)............but it's easy/convenient  to hate on them

The Sox were a 101-loss team last year but had a #6-rated broadcast booth, per this same study / metric.

I think there might be more to this than just the on-field product.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

The Sox were a 101-loss team last year but had a #6-rated broadcast booth, per this same study / metric.

I think there might be more to this than just the on-field product.

Steve Stone is still here.  So you think Jason was that polarizing that he warranted the high rating himself?

Sox were still considered contenders at the start of last year.

They were considered dog do do at the start of the this year and had a circus clown (Jerry) alienate the fanbase and national media over this past summer.  

4 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Steve Stone is still here.  So you think Jason was that polarizing that he warranted the high rating himself?

Sox were still considered contenders at the start of last year.

They were considered dog do do at the start of the this year and had a circus clown (Jerry) alienate the fanbase and national media over this past summer.  

"Polarizing?" Jason Benetti is one of the best in the business. You've gone from one of the best in the business and whose exit was apparently a result of requests from national media outlets to be able to use him more (they don't do that with bad announcers), to... Schriffen. If you want to talk about alienating a fanbase, that's one way to do it.

Sure, on-field performance will positively or negatively cloud people's judgment of the in-booth product, but to go from 6th to DFL (Dead F'ing Last), my guess is that the in-booth product got worse.

• Like 1