White Sox broadcast rated dead last

22 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Another s%*# on Schriffen thread.

Someday people will realize whatever these ratings are and however they rate announcers.......if the sox were 16 games over .500 it wouldn't matter and the ratings would be totally different.

People s%*# on the organization for everything (They deserve it)............but it's easy/convenient  to hate on them

I judge this based off my wife, who passively listens while I judge games.

She enjoyed Jason and Steve and all their banter. She likes Stacey King and Adam Amin.

She cringes all the fucking time with Schriffen.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Quin said:

I judge this based off my wife, who passively listens while I judge games.

She enjoyed Jason and Steve and all their banter. She likes Stacey King and Adam Amin.

She cringes all the fucking time with Schriffen.

I respect your wife's thoughts but we need to get away from cookie cutter PBP guys.

JS has a lot of work to do.......BUT I damn guarantee you if this team was good many of you would enjoy JS a little more then you are now because he has a different style.  The fun and energy he brings are not well received right now because the product is miserable.  Yes, John has things to work on........he is 98 games into his career.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeC said:

"Polarizing?" Jason Benetti is one of the best in the business. You've gone from one of the best in the business and whose exit was apparently a result of requests from national media outlets to be able to use him more (they don't do that with bad announcers), to... Schriffen. If you want to talk about alienating a fanbase, that's one way to do it.

Sure, on-field performance will positively or negatively cloud people's judgment of the in-booth product, but to go from 6th to DFL (Dead F'ing Last), my guess is that the in-booth product got worse.

Don't know if it matters to you but JS is also used by national media like ESPN.

18 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Steve Stone is still here.  So you think Jason was that polarizing that he warranted the high rating himself?

Sox were still considered contenders at the start of last year.

They were considered dog do do at the start of the this year and had a circus clown (Jerry) alienate the fanbase and national media over this past summer.  

The fact that the Sox dropped to the worst from 6th and the Tigers jumped from the worst to the 10th should shed some light on that, yes 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I respect your wife's thoughts but we need to get away from cookie cutter PBP guys.

JS has a lot of work to do.......BUT I damn guarantee you if this team was good many of you would enjoy JS a little more then you are now because he has a different style.  The fun and energy he brings are not well received right now because the product is miserable.  Yes, John has things to work on........he is 98 games into his career.  

I just don’t really feel the fun and energy as much as I feel him trying to make his call viral instead of calling what he sees.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Of all the things wrong with the Sox, this is very low on the list of stuff I care about.  But, I'll offer my opinion anyway.

If the team was good or at least not abysmally bad, Schriffen might be somewhat better.  He was thrown into an impossible position, replacing a well-liked and very good play-by-play guy and having to give play-by-play of an historically bad team.  That being said, I don't know how much better he'll get as the team gets better...or even if he'll be around when the team is better.

I'm in the camp that liked Jason but wasn't devastated by him leaving.  He's great at what he does, and as someone else said, away from Steve he's even better.  I'm more pissed about why he left, with the Sox being the shitty organization they are.  I thought that if Jason were to leave it would be for a national spot, not the damn Detroit Tigers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Steve Stone is still here.  So you think Jason was that polarizing that he warranted the high rating himself?

Sox were still considered contenders at the start of last year.

They were considered dog do do at the start of the this year and had a circus clown (Jerry) alienate the fanbase and national media over this past summer.  

I mean if we're calling them contenders then the deep level of disappointment that team had should make the broadcast a whole lot worse.  I'm not here to bash JS as I quite literally haven't watched enough games this year to do so but Jason absolutely made the broadcasts enjoyable.  He's that good imo.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Of all the things wrong with the Sox, this is very low on the list of stuff I care about.  But, I'll offer my opinion anyway.

If the team was good or at least not abysmally bad, Schriffen might be somewhat better.  He was thrown into an impossible position, replacing a well-liked and very good play-by-play guy and having to give play-by-play of an historically bad team.  That being said, I don't know how much better he'll get as the team gets better...or even if he'll be around when the team is better.

I'm in the camp that liked Jason but wasn't devastated by him leaving.  He's great at what he does, and as someone else said, away from Steve he's even better.  I'm more pissed about why he left, with the Sox being the shitty organization they are.  I thought that if Jason were to leave it would be for a national spot, not the damn Detroit Tigers.

I agree with your sentiment here about the circumstances of why JB left and going to the Tigers.

I enjoyed Benetti but I just think Schriffen has gotten a raw deal from most of us sox fans and from local media.  Again, I say that knowing he has to get better and has to grow as a PBP guy.  

47 minutes ago, JoeC said:

If so, I stand corrected.

He is used by ESPN but...

Majority of the time it is for things like "slamball" (WTF?) and the G-League basketball

Not exactly the NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL is it? ?

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

He is used by ESPN but...

Majority of the time it is for things like "slamball" (WTF?) and the G-League basketball

Not exactly the NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL is it? ?

ESPN
Covered men's & women's college basketball as a Play-by-Play broadcaster. Served as a sideline reporter for NFL, college football & college basketball.

White Sox on NBC Sports Chicago and ESPN, calling collegiate sports and KBO League baseball for the network. Previously Schriffen acted as a reporter for CBS Sports and hosted That Other Pre Game Show on CBS Sports Network.
  • Thanks 1

For whatever reason Schriff does not bother me one bit, like water on a duck's back. If I was driving a car on a 3-hour trip with him in the back seat nonstop talking, I could take it. 30 seconds of Dan Berstein and I would pull the car over and toss him out

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

For whatever reason Schriff does not bother me one bit, like water on a duck's back. If I was driving a car on a 3-hour trip with him in the back seat nonstop talking, I could take it. 30 seconds of Dan Berstein and I would pull the car over and toss him out

I definitely don't hate the guy like a lot of people do, but he is not even close to the quality of Benetti.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I definitely don't hate the guy like a lot of people do, but he is not even close to the quality of Benetti.

Come on, he's the same guy as Benetti just without the cringey sound effects.

Ill never understand the Benetti love affair, he had no clue what was going on either.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 2Deep said:
ESPN
Covered men's & women's college basketball as a Play-by-Play broadcaster. Served as a sideline reporter for NFL, college football & college basketball.

White Sox on NBC Sports Chicago and ESPN, calling collegiate sports and KBO League baseball for the network. Previously Schriffen acted as a reporter for CBS Sports and hosted That Other Pre Game Show on CBS Sports Network.

I was told by a person in the front office that there were a number of other better qualified broadcasters who applied for the position and they don't see what Brooks saw in him.

I watch a lot of ESPN and rarely heard or saw him doing anything of substance, the KBO League and The Other Pregame Show doesn't move the needle for me at all and a sideline reporter (I've been both sideline and / PBP) are two totally different animals.   

But like I posted a few months ago, we'll see if he has improved next year, if he has learned more of Sox history and if he realizes baseball is totally different over the course of a 162 game season. 

And I understand having been through it myself, the absolute hardest thing for a broadcaster to do is keep a fan base involved when the team is miserable. That is not easy and I cut him some slack in that regard but it was and is clear he is trying to learn on the job and a Major League franchise shouldn't have to have guys "learning" about the sport or especially about the team they are supposed to be covering. I trust what the front office person told me that there were other more experienced, better qualified candidates. 

For someone who supposedly covered baseball it was bizarre how he doesn't seem to know all the rules and has made major guffaws in that regard on the air. Maybe they have different rules in the KBO League! ?

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sox booth is as bad and unprofessional as they come with the growl and the screaming. Sad cause Stoney ends his career on a down note with this inexperienced guy next to him. Stoney is 10 out of 10; the new guy is 1-10.

2 hours ago, 2Deep said:
ESPN

So you agree

4 hours ago, T R U said:

Come on, he's the same guy as Benetti just without the cringey sound effects.

Ill never understand the Benetti love affair, he had no clue what was going on either.

I'm sorry, is the rawr not a cringe sound effect?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I'm sorry, is the rawr not a cringe sound effect?

I see how that’s worded weird, I meant Schriffen is the sound effect guy not Benetti. 

Morneau Blum Monaco all much better than JS... Sox ties or interest in the case of Monaco this past offseason.  Ben Davis as well in Philly. 

And Orsillo and Grant really have a ton of fun together... easy listen. 

"The Jon Sciambi and Jim Deshaies team is always a pleasure to listen to, and the Cubs’ score and rank are probably hurt by the musical chairs that Marquee plays with the booth at times. Just let these two call as many games as possible and stop meddling, alright?"

Cubs at least Top Ten in an awfully disappointing year... 

Edited by caulfield12