White Sox broadcast rated dead last

On 7/16/2024 at 3:37 PM, Falstaff said:

For whatever reason Schriff does not bother me one bit, like water on a duck's back. If I was driving a car on a 3-hour trip with him in the back seat nonstop talking, I could take it. 30 seconds of Dan Berstein and I would pull the car over and toss him out

Great analogy I agree.  I quit listening to sports radio many years ago mainly because of Bernstein.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Lip Man is just disgruntled because he thinks in his mind that he should have gotten the job because he claims to announce games.  For who, or what it doesn't matter he's gonna hate because the baseball on the south side has been so bad that he has to pick apart an announcer in his first year with a new team.  Who the f cares, if the Sox were winning we wouldn't be talking about the announcing booth.

I definitely don’t want Schriffen’s job and I still think he sucks balls.  You could listen to him for just 5 to 10 minutes and start cringing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Lip Man is just disgruntled because he thinks in his mind that he should have gotten the job because he claims to announce games.  For who, or what it doesn't matter he's gonna hate because the baseball on the south side has been so bad that he has to pick apart an announcer in his first year with a new team.  Who the f cares, if the Sox were winning we wouldn't be talking about the announcing booth.

?

This may be one of the most asinine statements I've ever read in my life.

I don't "claim" to announce games, I've broadcast games for 40 years on both TV and radio. This past May for example I broadcast the Big Sky softball championships on ESPN+. 11 games in four days. I've broadcast high school sports, college sports and semi-pro baseball in Kentucky, Louisiana and Idaho. Oh I was also in TV sports anchoring for 14 years at three different stations.

I'd be happy to give you a complete list of where I worked and who I broadcast for. 

I'm 68, there's no way in hell I would have even applied at that age, you must be insane.   

Bottom line, the broadcast on the TV is poor. Period. End of story. Full stop.

Yes it would have been easier to listen to if the Sox were winning but that doesn't change the fact it is poor. And I guarantee you it would STILL be talked about.

The "hometown" broadcast is one of the few ways fans connect to the team and organization. It is a damn important connection. 

You want the best possible person representing your organization in this fashion.

Schriffen right now isn't it.

He may get better we'll see how he improves next year but I think he'd be better off dropping the "attitude" that he's trying to bring to the broadcast. He shouldn't have a chip on his shoulder, he's not down on the field and frankly he gets paid the same if they win or lose.

Just be professional, that's all. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2024 at 12:19 PM, DirtySox said:

Remember all the fools that celebrated Jason being gone? Idiots.

Jason being away from the Sox most likely got him better. Knowing he can't be stupid corny. He was getting annoying

What I don't understand about all the hate on the announcer that repeats itself over and over is, YOU HAVE A CHOICE!

If the announcers bother you that much turn the sound off and listen to the Sox play by play on the radio or listen to the other teams announcer via MLB app or the internet.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Anyone know what this is about?  

I asked around and I don't know if this is the complete story.

I was told Jeff texted Schriffin at a number he thought was his but later learned it was the wrong number. It was a Sox office number. The Sox alerted Jeff and he reached out to John to apologize and to set the record straight for a story that was about to be published.

Schriffin never responded. 

That's all I know. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

What I don't understand about all the hate on the announcer that repeats itself over and over is, YOU HAVE A CHOICE!

If the announcers bother you that much turn the sound off and listen to the Sox play by play on the radio or listen to the other teams announcer via MLB app or the internet.

That's fine if the two different broadcasts i.e. radio/TV are in synch. Often times they aren't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

We shouldn't have to make that choice. A major league team should be able to hire a good play-by-play man.  As for me, it isn't hate. I just don't want anyone insulting my intelligence.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Just like you also have a choice to not read and respond to a thread that you know is critical of an announcer that you think is fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Who the f cares, if the Sox were winning we wouldn't be talking about the announcing booth.

But…they’re not winning.

If you need the team to be good in order to avoid attention on how you call a game, then you’re probably not that good at your job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I will say this year I've enjoyed Len and DJ on the radio broadcast more than ever.

I've said it before, but the only people watching this Sox team are the sick fucks that actually have a decent knowledge of the team. You can show excitement but don't lie to us about what we are watching.  He keeps saying things that don't pass the smell test. And the broadcast isn't the place for your personal retribution. You have no credibility to start with coming from the outside - maybe try to the build it up first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I will say this year I've enjoyed Len and DJ on the radio broadcast more than ever.

I've said it before, but the only people watching this Sox team are the sick fucks that actually have a decent knowledge of the team. You can show excitement but don't lie to us about what we are watching.  He keeps saying things that don't pass the smell test. And the broadcast isn't the place for your personal retribution. You have no credibility to start with coming from the outside - maybe try to the build it up first.

Was it Len and Beckham yesterday on TV? It wasn't a great broadcast but boy it was nice to see Len filling dead air late with actual stats analysis rather than just hearing Schriffen doing his ah shucks here come the Sox (not really) routine with Stone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Was it Len and Beckham yesterday on TV? It wasn't a great broadcast but boy it was nice to see Len filling dead air late with actual stats analysis rather than just hearing Schriffen doing his ah shucks here come the Sox (not really) routine with Stone.

Yeah, Schriffen has this series off and Stone has the roadtrip off. I actually think Len is better on radio because he's better when he's simply describing everything that happens.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Schriffen is god awful. Winning or losing, I think he would still be terrible.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

can you imagine how insufferable he'd be if the sox were actually .500? We'd be hearing how JR is as pure as the driven snow.

That is a good point. As much as I think his material plays better with a team that isn’t historically horrible, if they were good, his ass kissing more than likely goes up a few levels.

And why is it OK for Schriffen  to miss games doing summer league NBA and Jason thrown to the curb for actually doing major sports?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

That is a good point. As much as I think his material plays better with a team that isn’t historically horrible, if they were good, his ass kissing more than likely goes up a few levels.

And why is it OK for Schriffen  to miss games doing summer league NBA and Jason thrown to the curb for actually doing major sports?

I'm guessing it is because the personal relationship between Brooks and Jason became toxic over time and Brooks wanted to let Jason know who was boss. 

34 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'm guessing it is because the personal relationship between Brooks and Jason became toxic over time and Brooks wanted to let Jason know who was boss. 

Egos for Benetti growing by the year and Boyer's elite ND background and being practically despised comparatively...yet simultaneously feeling he was practically running  the Sox on the marketing and PR side.

On 7/18/2024 at 1:19 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-media/2024/07/18/chicago-white-sox-john-schriffen-steve-stone-jason-benetti-awful-announcing-mlb-rankings-2024

"Schriffen has figured out some things, such as toning down his act and slowing his delivery. His voice is pleasant, and he calls the action well. He has set up Stone with some good questions. But he’s learning things about broadcasting and baseball that he should’ve learned calling games in the minors. That’s where many announcers find their way. Such experience wasn’t important to the Sox, who were more focused on availability and affordability."

Sox are never quite professional enough. 

On 7/19/2024 at 5:38 PM, Timmy U said:

I don't know what everyone's complaining about. I like the broadcast team tonight just fine.

Me too except I watched Cubs vs. D'Backs on Fox with AJ and our former announcer.

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Never pronounce Bill's last name wrong.  First sign of being clueless.

I think he is trying too hard.

I think there is some truth to that. But as I wrote I don't think he understands yet calling MLB as opposed to G-League, Slamball or NBA Summer League.

Different type athletes, different skill sets, different rhythms to the sport and most importantly a totally different audience.

He's not going anywhere short of new ownership so I hope next year is better, he's difficult to listen to.