2025 MLB Draft

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Also - f*** these new rules.

It is especially frustrating that next year is supposedly a great draft year and we are picking 10th. Here's a question...will they be the 10th pick in every round next year or will they have a higher pick in the 2nd round and onward?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

It is especially frustrating that next year is supposedly a great draft year and we are picking 10th. Here's a question...will they be the 10th pick in every round next year or will they have a higher pick in the 2nd round and onward?

They will pick 1 in every other round.

• Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

Is it too early to guess how many picks we punt next year?

What was the strategy that they should have employed instead? I’m very curious. 

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

They’ll have the first pick in rounds 2-20. 

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

The same thing sort of happened to the Sox this year.  They finished 4th worst last year, but got the 5th pick in the lottery.  They picked 5th overall, but 4th in rounds 2-20.  The same thing will happen next year.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Well, that's assuming they don't turn it around in the 2nd half, Timmy. ?

I know this is a joke, but I just wanted to point out the Sox are 7 full games worse than the 2nd worst team in MLB right now.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know this is a joke, but I just wanted to point out the Sox are 7 full games worse than the 2nd worst team in MLB right now.

You apparently missed the news that they signed Nick Senzel.....and I never joke.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What was the strategy that they should have employed instead? I’m very curious. 

They’ll have the first pick in rounds 2-20. 

Given the complete lack of positional depth I would have assumed it could only improve after this draft but the sheer count of punted picks on relivers makes me feel like we've take a step back. I'm generally in favor of value over need, but if you don't draft enough quality bats you're not likely going to hit on many. This year it seems we either went for ceiling (1 big prep deal) or money saving floor moves (for org depth). Not really sold on 3-5 this year as legitimate prospects (at a minimum each guy drafted likely would still be around 1-2 rounds later). My hope for next year is a strategy that ends with as many high ceiling position prospects as possible. It seems we blew most of our spend on 1-2 and punted 3-10. My hope next year would be to land 6-7 legit-ish bats. Try to save money at 1-2 if it means getting more value 3-6. At this point we may need to just go for quantity and by that I mean 2-3 advanced college bats with legitimate tools vs one 1 high flying prep kid that's eating slot+ by leverage NIL deals.

6 hours ago, mac9001 said:

Given the complete lack of positional depth I would have assumed it could only improve after this draft but the sheer count of punted picks on relivers makes me feel like we've take a step back. I'm generally in favor of value over need, but if you don't draft enough quality bats you're not likely going to hit on many. This year it seems we either went for ceiling (1 big prep deal) or money saving floor moves (for org depth). Not really sold on 3-5 this year as legitimate prospects (at a minimum each guy drafted likely would still be around 1-2 rounds later). My hope for next year is a strategy that ends with as many high ceiling position prospects as possible. It seems we blew most of our spend on 1-2 and punted 3-10. My hope next year would be to land 6-7 legit-ish bats. Try to save money at 1-2 if it means getting more value 3-6. At this point we may need to just go for quantity and by that I mean 2-3 advanced college bats with legitimate tools vs one 1 high flying prep kid that's eating slot+ by leverage NIL deals.

Okay well 3-5 are legit guys and so is the outfielder from the 12th. They added nine position players. 

10. White Sox — Jamie Arnold, LHP, Florida State

The White Sox have seemed to covet low-slot lefthanders in recent drafts, and Arnold fits that profile as perhaps the top southpaw in the class. The 6-foot-1, 198-pound lefthander is coming off a dominant season in which he posted a 2.98 ERA over 105.2 innings and 18 starts with a 29.6 K-BB% that was good for fifth-best in the country behind only Chase Burns, Hagen Smith, Ryan Johnson and Trey Yesavage. Arnold pitched heavily off his fastball/slider combination this spring and averaged 93-94 mph with the pitch while touching 97 from a low arm slot that, at times, gets fully sidearm. His mid-80s sweepy slider from that angle was a nightmare for hitters on both sides, though he could show a bit more of a third offering next spring to round out his high-end starter profile. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wegner said:

It is especially frustrating that next year is supposedly a great draft year and we are picking 10th.

I’d rather pick 10th when the draft class is great and 5th when the draft class is weak than the other way around. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

And we will pick 1st in every round after the 1st round.

Excellent, I thought we were stuck at 10th for each round.

Are you familiar with the amount of money the Sox will have to spend ?

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

I will keep an eye out for it , thanks

can get a rough idea here https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/2024/all/team/athletics. The slots for rounds 2-10 should increase some, and could probably reference the Nats pick at 10 for a rough projected slot for RD 1. Did some rough calculations on my own and their pool (before overage) should roughly be around 12Mish, assuming no trades for comp picks.

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

can get a rough idea here https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/2024/all/team/athletics. The slots for rounds 2-10 should increase some, and could probably reference the Nats pick at 10 for a rough projected slot for RD 1. Did some rough calculations on my own and their pool (before overage) should roughly be around 12Mish, assuming no trades for comp picks.

Isn’t that near what we were this year?

Lincoln-Way east has another prep prospect in Jack Bauer.

Jaden Fauske of Nazareth academy is a catcher in the top 100.

Man Corona High School has 3 of the top 5 and 5 in the BA100 for prep players that’s gotta be crazy. 

15 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Isn’t that near what we were this year?

Think this year with the overage it was around 15.75M, give or take.

Edit, just checked and their pool + overage was $15,322,965 this year

Edited by Sleepy Harold