Heyman: Senzel to Sox

Heads22

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Flip him in under two weeks?  Probably not enough time for him to go on a hot streak and gain some value.

I mean in the offseason

17 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Flip him in under two weeks?  Probably not enough time for him to go on a hot streak and gain some value.

But then there's this:

We released our first iteration of the Top 50 trade candidates last week. It was a broadly pitching-heavy list, with 30 of the spots occupied by pitchers. Especially striking is the lack of middle infield talent that’ll clearly be available. We listed just four middle infielders among that Top 50.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/07/the-trade-market-remains-light-on-middle-infield-talent.html

The fact we're talking about DeJong, Lopez and Moncada maybe garnering interest does back that up. 

edit: Moncada, not Maldonado.

Edited by WestEddy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

But then there's this:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/07/the-trade-market-remains-light-on-middle-infield-talent.html

The fact we're talking about DeJong, Lopez and Maldonado maybe garnering interest does back that up. 

If anyone thought they wanted him all they had to do was offer him the 350k-ish pro rated minimum for the rest of the season.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I thought you were talking about Senzel.

I was. My comment was more about there being a dearth of MI talent available at the TDL. Senzel's probably more a guy to catch grounders once the dust settles. 

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I was. My comment was more about there being a dearth of MI talent available at the TDL. Senzel's probably more a guy to catch grounders once the dust settles. 

Then my comment stands.  If someone wanted him, there are 13 days until the deadline,  they would have just signed him.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Sosa had a hot streak and has been pretty bad outside of it. But I still don't understand in the Sox current situation, why you would rather give ABs to Senzel and not Sosa.

I think this has to do with trading DeJong and having an infield option they prefer over Mendick in place.  Sosa should be back up soon I’d imagine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JoeC said:

This move makes SOME sense then.

could flip him or dump him after the year with minima risk.

Draft picks as high as Senzel always have long leashes . When picking up cheap bad talent once in a while it works out like with McCann. He was the same age as Senzel. He had a slightly better career than Senzel but he was considered a bum too when the Sox got him. Rodon was a $3M bum for 2021.

Rather take cheap fliers on under 30 bums than pay $5-$10M on mid 30s guys on the downward trajectory of their careers.

Jurickson Profar signed with the Padres right before his 31st birthday this year for $1M plus incentives and became an All Star.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hi8is said:

Wasn’t he good as a rookie with the Reds… and an often discussed trade target for us the following year?

He was rushed to the majors (tm)

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Draft picks as high as Senzel always have long leashes . When picking up cheap bad talent once in a while it works out like with McCann. He was the same age as Senzel. He had a slightly better career than Senzel but he was considered a bum too when the Sox got him. Rodon was a $3M bum for 2021.

Rather take cheap fliers on under 30 bums than pay $5-$10M on mid 30s guys on the downward trajectory of their careers.

Jurickson Profar signed with the Padres right before his 31st birthday this year for $1M plus incentives and became an All Star.

But those guys actually had previous productive season(s).  Even Senzel’s best season in his rookie year was still pretty bad.

I am fine with picking up these types of players, but I would hope that they have actually shown they can put up at least one good season in their career.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Paper Bag 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Sosa had a hot streak and has been pretty bad outside of it. But I still don't understand in the Sox current situation, why you would rather give ABs to Senzel and not Sosa.

I think Sosa has been passed in their minds by Ramos, Montgomery, Baldwin, and Gonzalez. He’s not a long-term piece in their minds because of defense and plate discipline, so they don’t care about giving him at bats. OTOH, hard to see Senzel as anything but a guy passing through town on his way to Indy Leagues or Korea.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree. In a season like this you take a shot on guys like Senzel.

There is lots of talent there, maybe something will click.  The guys you used as examples are a good analogy for Senzel.

• Like 1

The thing is, yeah I get you sign crap like this to see if you can get him figured out, but the Reds couldn't do it. The Nats couldn't do it this year. The White Sox can't get their own guys to hit and field. How is this guy going to find something in 60 games? Its a waste of money that they will claim they don't have when needed.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

The thing is, yeah I get you sign crap like this to see if you can get him figured out, but the Reds couldn't do it. The Nats couldn't do it this year. The White Sox can't get their own guys to hit and field. How is this guy going to find something in 60 games?

He's not.  He's a spaceholder to block the kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The thing is, yeah I get you sign crap like this to see if you can get him figured out, but the Reds couldn't do it. The Nats couldn't do it this year. The White Sox can't get their own guys to hit and field. How is this guy going to find something in 60 games? Its a waste of money that they will claim they don't have when needed.

I’d rather just play Sosa. And yes, I get that he will be up when DeJong and Lopez are traded but still. There’s gotta be younger guys on waivers or free agents that would be worth a shot over him.

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

CC: Clint Frazier