White Sox sign...

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Was there an interview with Shirley or something I missed?

There have been a few where I think he's alluded to high school kids having some unrealistic demands. 

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

My question is, are we seeing other teams having to overpay for collegiate players also?

I’m thru round 4 and saucke is the first over slot college player I’ve seen. 

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

yeah…I see no other teams struggling with this. Just Sox.

Well see if that’s the case after more numbers come in.

They'd have to pay more for me to play for the Sox too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

yeah…I see no other teams struggling with this. Just Sox.

Well see if that’s the case after more numbers come in.

I know the Sox have always spent the max, but is it possible they’re hurting so much financially that they won’t this year?

The White Sox have signed picks 4-20 and committed $2,078,000 against their bonus pool. That means that they still have $13,244,965 with the first four players left to sign. I'm guessing that they are all overslot. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Here's my guess on remaining bonuses: 

Hagen Smith $8 million 

Caleb Bonemer $2.8 million 

Blake Larson $1.4 million 

Nick McLain $1 million 

That takes them right to $13.2 million. 

I guess this year in a bad draft everyone had to pay up if you wanted the few good, quality players.

Just now, ptatc said:

I guess this year in a bad draft everyone had to pay up if you wanted the few good, quality players.

Not really seeing a lot of quality from day 2. But the Sox have been so poor with getting value from the draft it wouldn't take a lot to beat most of the last 10 drafts.

8 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

Not really seeing a lot of quality from day 2. But the Sox have been so poor with getting value from the draft it wouldn't take a lot to beat most of the last 10 drafts.

They really like McLain, Saucke and Antonacci 

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How do you feel about those three selections and the price we paid for them?

I don’t know enough about the players. BP had Saucke at 53 overall and Sox scouts felt he really unlocked something with a swing change this year. McLain is a tweener but he’ll definitely hit. I don’t think they absolutely overpaid. I just think players have leverage now and the team wanted these players so they paid them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They really like McLain, Saucke and Antonacci 

They clearly paid them like they like them. But I wasn't particularly impressed with any of those picks. Odds on a 3-5rd picks having any meaningful impact on an MLB roster are slim anyway, so I probably should expect a lot. But I feel felt a lot better about our 3-5 round picks the last few years and except for Cannon I don't think they had to go over slot on many of those picks.

4 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

They clearly paid them like they like them. But I wasn't particularly impressed with any of those picks. Odds on a 3-5rd picks having any meaningful impact on an MLB roster are slim anyway, so I probably should expect a lot. But I feel felt a lot better about our 3-5 round picks the last few years and except for Cannon I don't think they had to go over slot on many of those picks.

I’m pretty sure they overslotted Burke, Cannon and Keener in round 3. They definitely overslotted Calvin Harris in round 4, Oppor in 5 and Wolkow in 7. They saved $600K on their first rounder last year though. Doesn’t appear that they did that this year. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fathom said:

My question is, are we seeing other teams having to overpay for collegiate players also?

So the only other team that this happened to a bit so far is the Cardinals, who paid overslot for college players in the 7th, 8th and 9th rounds, as well as slightly over on Wetherholt in the 1st. Their biggest overage was Jack Findlay in the 8th who got 400k vs the slotted amount of 229k. That 171k difference is the most comparable to the 165k overage the White Sox gave Saucke. They paid their 8th rounder like a 5th round pick, sox paid their fourth rounder like a third rounder.