White Sox sign...

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That leaves $900k above slot for our remaining three picks.  Got to imagine gets at least $600k of that amount.

McLain must be at least $150k under slot then, which makes much more sense to me

Edited by Chicago White Sox

35 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Hagen Smith had multiple teams in on him for nearly $8 million and the White Sox made a legitimate attempt to land Charlie Condon as well. 

Realistically, what would Hagen Smith do if the Sox drafted him and simply offered slot value? Is he really going to return to college over that amount? 

13 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Realistically, what would Hagen Smith do if the Sox drafted him and simply offered slot value? Is he really going to return to college over that amount? 

Not exactly how you want to make a first impression on an elite arm over a few bucks. 

I wonder what the Sox would have done if they made a deal with Condon at like 9.4M? Throw $10k at a 5 yr sr for the comp pick?

Edited by mac9001

1 minute ago, mac9001 said:

Not exactly how you want to make a first impression on an elite arm over a few bucks. 

I wonder what the Sox would have done is they made a deal with Condon at like 9.4M? Throw $10k at a 5 yr sr for the comp pick?

Not draft the 2nd rounder in favor of a slot college kid.

I’m not seeing NIL having much effect on college players in mid rounds thus far. Only 4 college players from rounds 3-6 went over slot and Sox has 2 of them.

The Sox somehow have to overpay for college players for whatever reason, guys like Steele Walker and Gavin Sheets. A team like Reds who loaded their draft with top 100 players is able to pay their college picks at slot.

17 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I’m not seeing NIL having much effect on college players in mid rounds thus far. Only 4 college players from rounds 3-6 went over slot and Sox has 2 of them.

The Sox somehow have to overpay for college players for whatever reason, guys like Steele Walker and Gavin Sheets. A team like Reds who loaded their draft with top 100 players is able to pay their college picks at slot.

I guess the theory would be these guys would have gone before our picks had we not overslotted them (not sure if true).  What’s weird though is Saucke got more than McLain a pick later, so if you like Saucke more why not take him in the 3rd and try to push McLain down a round?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guess the theory would be these guys would have gone before our picks had we not overslotted them (not sure if true).  What’s weird though is Saucke got more than McLain a pick later, so if you like Saucke more why not take him in the 3rd and try to push McLain down a round?

I don’t see Saucke and Antonacci being ranked above their draft positions to warrant over slot. If anything they’re ranked lower than their slot on MLB.

Even if this is true, what leverage do these guys have? Do they want to go back to college and hope they can get drafted in the top 3 rounds as a senior? I have a hard time seeing that happening. IMO unless the player is ranked way above their draft position and they player has leverage of going back to college and improve their draft position in their senior year, you shouldn’t have to go over slot for 4Y college picks.

7 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Do the Sox have all their draft picks signed now with the exception of Bailey at #20?

Let the tape measured bombs from Miller-Green commence.

That’s one of the bright side of this. Seems they didn’t have a lot of tough negotiations and was the first to sign all their expected signings (left only $50k on the table). Hope that these guys can start seeing game action soon.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Interested to see what other high school players signed for 3 mil

I thought I heard last night that Bonemer's agent is Scott Boras.....cha-ching!!

Edited by Falstaff

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

That’s one of the bright side of this. Seems they didn’t have a lot of tough negotiations and was the first to sign all their expected signings (left only $50k on the table). Hope that these guys can start seeing game action soon.

Hagen Smith should be a fast riser up through the system. 

I would love to see what they can do with the flamethrower out of USF.

50 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

The White Sox don’t think they overpaid. They thought Saucke and McLain were third round players and Antonacci was a fourth round value. They maneuvered to ensure that they got the players that their scouts wanted. Now they need to be right. 

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is always weird but I’m guessing they had a deal with both guys and it was more likely that someone would take McLain before their next pick. 

18 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Do the Sox have all their draft picks signed now with the exception of Bailey at #20?

Let the tape measured bombs from Miller-Green commence.

Yes. Every pick signed. 

11 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I don’t see Saucke and Antonacci being ranked above their draft positions to warrant over slot. If anything they’re ranked lower than their slot on MLB.

Even if this is true, what leverage do these guys have? Do they want to go back to college and hope they can get drafted in the top 3 rounds as a senior? I have a hard time seeing that happening. IMO unless the player is ranked way above their draft position and they player has leverage of going back to college and improve their draft position in their senior year, you shouldn’t have to go over slot for 4Y college picks.

You can’t just look at rankings. Casey Saucke is ranked 53rd overall at BP and some publications have McLain ranked highly as well. The White Sox really like these players. 

6 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

I thought I heard James Fox mention last night that Bonemer's agent is Scott Boras.....cha-ching!!

I don’t know who represents Bonemer. Boras represents McLain though. 

• Like 1