White Sox sign...

5 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I agree with James. There's a legit top 5 pitcher, 2 expensive HS, mild reaches on a couple college outfielders, then a whole lot of 5th year senior signs and college relievers. It's a top heavy class. Hard to see $15 mil unless Smith got like $9 mil.

One thing that would make sense of it all is if they sign their #20 pick.

Otherwise, if they use their full bonus pool, it means that they did a lot of reaching; they didn't draft anyone who whose talent really warranted being drafted earlier.

I suspect that he did the uber punting because he wasn't sure what to expect from NIL and wanted to make sure he had sufficient cushion so as not to run out of money.   But I always thought that the drafters know what a player's expectations are when they draft them.

35 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

One thing that would make sense of it all is if they sign their #20 pick.

Otherwise, if they use their full bonus pool, it means that they did a lot of reaching; they didn't draft anyone who whose talent really warranted being drafted earlier.

I suspect that he did the uber punting because he wasn't sure what to expect from NIL and wanted to make sure he had sufficient cushion so as not to run out of money.   But I always thought that the drafters know what a player's expectations are when they draft them.

He already declared he’s going to college

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

If Smith 8.5, 2.5 and 2 for the HS, you have 13 already. 

I thought we already know Larson took $1.4M when slot was $1.2M.

Edit: According to Locked on White Sox Larson told the Des Moines Register that he knows he'll get AT LEAST $1.4 so it could be more.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
clarification
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

$80,000 over for a guy with 30 power probably? I find that shocking. I expect him to hit in the lower levels, then we'll see.

Why is that surprising to you? 

For this FO, a lack of power is a feature not a bug.

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

edit

It was a weak draft. Everybody did a lot of reaching. 

Edited by WestEddy

6 hours ago, WestEddy said:

edit

We’ll see. 

But it still strikes me that last year they punted only one round and still drafted a second round talent in the 7th round. This year they punt  5, arguably 6, rounds, despite the added flexibility from a larger bonus, pool and extra draft pick. 

If NIL going to send more highschoolers to college, and presumably keep college players in college longer, they better learn how to evaluate college hitters…. And take those senior signings more seriously. 

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

We’ll see. If I have time, I’m going to do a MLB draft  punt analysis after this all shakes out.
But it still strikes me that last year they punted only one round and still drafted a second round talent in the 7th round. This year they punt  5, arguably 6, rounds, despite the added flexibility from a larger bonus, pool and extra draft pick. 

It feels like one of the prep picks may have pushed for more money last second and put us in a bit of a bind.  Yes, I get it was a weak draft, but day 2 felt like more of a fallback plan than it should have.

6 hours ago, WestEddy said:

edit

This is true. It’s almost they decided they wanted McLain, Saucke and Antonacci and did what was necessary to land them all. In the end, it’s 10 players off of the BA 500 plus guys like Shepardson and Fox who could move quickly in relief roles. 

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

We’ll see. If I have time, I’m going to do a MLB draft  punt analysis after this all shakes out.

Lots of teams punted picks this year because there weren’t 10 rounds of players worth slot values. You can still get value out of those picks though. Jordan Appel can help minor league pitchers get better and Phil Fox could move through minors quickly etc. Tim Elko was a “punted pick”. Those guys in 6-10 were basically their picks in 16-20. That’s how you have to look at it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Timmy U said:

$80,000 over for a guy with 30 power probably? I find that shocking. I expect him to hit in the lower levels, then we'll see.

He's a solid player.  Excellent bat to ball skills from the left side, he's an above avg runner, he can stay on the dirt and he has fantastic makeup.  He's certainly not flashy but they had success with a similar type player in Brooks Baldwin.  He's a good 5th round pick.

Over slot for a 4 year college reliever who had no leverage.
Weak draft and kind of a transition year due to NIL, but it looks like the draft team was just flummoxed. 

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Over slot for a 4 year college reliever who had no leverage.
Weak draft and kind of a transition year due to NIL, but it looks like the draft team was just flummoxed. 

Lowest number of high school kids drafted in the top 20 rounds.