White Sox sign...

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I’m not seeing NIL having much effect on college players in mid rounds thus far. Only 4 college players from rounds 3-6 went over slot and Sox has 2 of them.

The Sox somehow have to overpay for college players for whatever reason, guys like Steele Walker and Gavin Sheets. A team like Reds who loaded their draft with top 100 players is able to pay their college picks at slot.

Yeah, it really just seems like we messed up and had a poor plan.  

6 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Don’t forget we signed 9 undrafted players. I’m sure another million was spent on them. You never know. I like taking more chances. 

Unless that is over 150k per signing, that doesn't count towards the caps.  And I would be shocked if we spent a million on those signings.  I would guess it is more like 100,000 between the nine players.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Why? 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unless that is over 150k per signing, that doesn't count towards the caps.  And I would be shocked if we spent a million on those signings.  I would guess it is more like 100,000 between the nine players.

I bet some of them got $150K. Theres little incentive to sign otherwise 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

It's like they over compensated by punting too much and just had money to spread around.
Smith, for example,  didn't warrant an overslot and it's hard to see how he had the leverage to get one. 
That's one of the reasons that I suspect that Smith was a late call from our Jerry Jones.

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why? 

I was under the impression these were mostly older kids (seniors 22/23 years old) without any leverage.

40 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

It's like they over compensated by punting too much and just had money to spread around.
Smith, for example,  didn't warrant an overslot and it's hard to see how he had the leverage to get one. 
That's one of the reasons that I suspect that Smith was a late call from our Jerry Jones.

They didn't really punt at all. Just rounds 9 and 10 honestly. Which is totally normal for most teams to do. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I've never heard of a single time Reinsdorf has ever told them to take a certain player.  He lets them do their job. 

IIRC, when MLB Network did that behind the scenes special on the Sox, Reinsdorf told them not to choose the pitcher they were interested in that had arm issues.  It might have been Eibner.

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

IIRC, when MLB Network did that behind the scenes special on the Sox, Reinsdorf told them not to choose the pitcher they were interested in that had arm issues.  It might have been Eibner.

Was that in 2010 when the DBacks took Barrett Loux 6th and the Sox took Chris Sale 13th?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

So Jimmy or whoever knows, now that Great Falls is no more and Az is about to close, what do the players do for the next 6 weeks?

Bonemer and Larson will play organized back field games in Arizona. Most of the others likely go to A ball 

On 7/22/2024 at 7:52 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Hagen Smith had multiple teams in on him for nearly $8 million and the White Sox made a legitimate attempt to land Charlie Condon as well. 

Funny because those are the two I had thought of as us most likely landing.

On 7/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Just a quick Google search tells me that while a player in a complex league makes a minimum of $4800/yr, the Chicago Dogs pay a salary range of $52k-$96k for a season. I don't know what level of play they are, but that's quite a jump. 

I'm intrigued by a player like Matt Hogan, who finally hit consistently at Oral Roberts in 2023, looks like he went undrafted, played a year with the indy Pioneer League Rocky Mountain Vibes (Glassdoor says they have the same salary structure as the Dogs), and now, this year, after signing with the White Sox, jumped to age-appropriate Birmingham, and is OPSing .774. 

Edited by WestEddy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Just a quick Google search tells me that while a player in a complex league makes a minimum of $4800/yr, the Chicago Dogs pay a salary range of $52k-$96k for a season. I don't know what level of play they are, but that's quite a jump. 

I'm intrigued by a player like Matt Hogan, who finally hit consistently at Oral Roberts in 2023, looks like he went undrafted, played a year with the indy Pioneer League Rocky Mountain Vibes (Glassdoor says they have the same salary structure as the Dogs), and now, this year, after signing with the White Sox, jumped to age-appropriate Birmingham, and is OPSing .774. 

And to be complete and comparative, Low-A has a minimum salary of $26.2k. 

On 7/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why? 

Listen, the talent may end up being fine. I'll check again, but before it was only the cardinals that overspent the slot on multiple college players.

I don't give the sox the benefit of the doubt when they veer from the rest that they executed well and it was all part of a new brilliant plan. 

It may very well be that they had a small group of players and they walked them down the board with higher slot bonuses. But even then I'd wonder if we were overconfident in these evaluations. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Listen, the talent may end up being fine. I'll check again, but before it was only the cardinals that overspent the slot on multiple college players.

I don't give the sox the benefit of the doubt when they veer from the rest that they executed well and it was all part of a new brilliant plan. 

It may very well be that they had a small group of players and they walked them down the board with higher slot bonuses. But even then I'd wonder if we were overconfident in these evaluations. 

I just think looking at slot values isn’t the way to do this. They had $15.3 million to spend and needed to get as much talent as possible. It’s fine if some don’t believe they did that but going overslot on a few guys and underslot on a few others later to pay for it doesn’t really matter. Teams operate similarly every year. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

25 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I just think looking at slot values isn’t the way to do this. They had $15.3 million to spend and needed to get as much talent as possible. It’s fine if some don’t believe they did that but going overslot on a few guys and underslot on a few others later to pay for it doesn’t really matter. Teams operate similarly every year. 

You are right. Sorry. Sox had 20 picks to select players, and all were alive. It's a big win. Who are we to judge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

You are right. Sorry. Sox had 20 picks to select players, and all were alive. It's a big win. Who are we to judge.

I don't know why people aren't seeing this as a supply and demand issue. It's a weak draft. Less players at the higher levels. Therefore, more negotiation to get the guys they want. In a stronger draft, some toolsy high school kid who needs work gets sassy, you move on to the next toolsy high school kid. That doesn't really play this year.