Dodgers interested in Robert, Crochet, Pham

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's in excellent condition. He's built like a horse. Him and Robert stood out from a physical standpoint in the dugout when I was 20-30 feet away at the game.

Yeah, some keep portraying Crochet as frail, dude's a tree. Insider guys have talked about how he finally looks healthy for the first time in his pro career. If there was going to be a problem, it probably would have happened where it did in the past - somewhere between 10-20 IP. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Yeah, some keep portraying Crochet as frail, dude's a tree. Insider guys have talked about how he finally looks healthy for the first time in his pro career. If there was going to be a problem, it probably would have happened where it did in the past - somewhere between 10-20 IP. 

Not really a mechanics guy but didn't he clean up some of the problems with his delivery that were putting too much strain on his elbow? I dunno, he looks as healthy as a dude stretching the limits of the human body by firing a baseball 100mph can imo. Yea he's an injury risk, but all pitchers are, right?

Like compare him to Kopech, who is constantly figuring out how to tweak something in his lower body from the mound.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

Not saying this is a package i'd take for crochet but while the top has positions and profiles that aren't great fits for sox, Zyhir Hope and Joendry Vargas would be guys I'd love to have on the sox.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I have no idea what he's conditioned for. What I know for certain is that ever since we started managing innings, injuries are up.

Even his employers don't feel he is conditioned for a full season as a starter.

25 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

He's portrayed that way because he has had injuries literally every year of his professional career until now, plus going back to his college career he had injuries then as well. 

33 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not really a mechanics guy but didn't he clean up some of the problems with his delivery that were putting too much strain on his elbow? I dunno, he looks as healthy as a dude stretching the limits of the human body by firing a baseball 100mph can imo. Yea he's an injury risk, but all pitchers are, right?

Like compare him to Kopech, who is constantly figuring out how to tweak something in his lower body from the mound.

I think it had much more to do with the UCL reconstruction rehab. Taking to time to really do that strengthening and conditioning helps.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

His pro career started in 2020. Were in 2024. That's not a ringing endorsement for his durability.

20 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I have no idea what he's conditioned for. What I know for certain is that ever since we started managing innings, injuries are up.

There's a difference between limiting the innings of healthy, conditioned pitchers and someone who has never pitched more than 50 innings in any one season and is coming off UCL reconstruction. 

In general,  i agree with you but Crochet is not the typical case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

His pro career started in 2020. Were in 2024. That's not a ringing endorsement for his durability.

He has pitched more innings in this one season than he had in 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 combined, even including his college innings.  The fact that anyone would see it weird to question a guys health history in this circumstance is bizarre.  He is the definition of an injury history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure, but not a lot of data supporting the conclusions of his employers.

Sure there is. Did you listen to the podcast,  I posted?

We do know that the volume of pitching increases the likelihood of injury. Not just the number of innings but the number of innings combined with the intensity. Today's pitchers throw max velocity far too much. This is where the likelihood of injury increases.  So one if 2 things has to decrease, either intensity or the mount of work. They don't want to decrease velocity, they want to increase it. So the question is what constitutes the amount of work, innings, number of pitches, number of bullpen sessions? These are the questions that remain. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's portrayed that way because he has had injuries literally every year of his professional career until now, plus going back to his college career he had injuries then as well. 

And he's never had time to fully recover until TJS. Now he has, and doesn't look frail at all. If he was such an injury risk, one would think that he would have a problem somewhere before 100 innings. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Conditioning and a long injury history are major concerns for Crochet.

He's already had Tommy John though. I don't think he's an injury risk right now more than any other pitcher would be from being a pitcher. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, T R U said:

This is all like an essay proving that bumble bees can't fly. Yet, he's over 100 IP, and not exhibiting any issues. 

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And he's never had time to fully recover until TJS. Now he has, and doesn't look frail at all. If he was such an injury risk, one would think that he would have a problem somewhere before 100 innings. 

His 2020, 2021 and 2022 seasons had nothing to do with that.

This is all like an essay proving that bumble bees can't fly. Yet, he's over 100 IP, and not exhibiting any issues. 

He's also pitched 3/4 of his innings or so at almost zero stress. He hasn't had any set backs, hasn't even really had a "dead arm" period.  I'd be worried about him if he was going to be pitching over 180 innings into the playoffs and putting max effort into pitches in October, but he ain't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He's already had Tommy John though. I don't think he's an injury risk right now more than any other pitcher would be from being a pitcher. 

I think there is from fatigue and overuse due to his lack of previous workload. There may not be from game to game but here is from cumulative use.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

His 2020, 2021 and 2022 seasons had nothing to do with that.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or not. He didn't have a 2022 season. My guess is he got injured in college, pitched through it in 2020 and 2021, finally succumbed to injury in the playoffs, got TJS, healed, had a minor inflammation setback, and is now at full strength - carrying the same risk as any other pitcher. 

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or not. He didn't have a 2022 season. My guess is he got injured in college, pitched through it in 2020 and 2021, finally succumbed to injury in the playoffs, got TJS, healed, had a minor inflammation setback, and is now at full strength - carrying the same risk as any other pitcher. 

His injuries were not just his elbow to where you can blame his entire history on that one thing.

16 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Any other pitcher who has only pitched 50 innings in any one season.

Can someone who has only run a 5K race suddenly start running 100 mile ultra marathons? Sure, but do you think that cumulative trauma has a good chance to catch up to them?

Do you want to take that chance with the talent of someone like Crochet?

Edited by ptatc
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Any other pitcher who has only pitched 50 innings in any one season.

Can someone who has only run a 5K race suddenly start running 100 mole ultra marathons? Sure, but do you think that cumulative trauma has a good chance to catch up to them?

Do you want to take that chance with the talent of someone like Crochet?

No. I will gladly cash my winnings now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You're right, everything looks good now. I guess we can close the book on this.