Dodgers interested in Robert, Crochet, Pham

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or not. He didn't have a 2022 season. My guess is he got injured in college, pitched through it in 2020 and 2021, finally succumbed to injury in the playoffs, got TJS, healed, had a minor inflammation setback, and is now at full strength - carrying the same risk as any other pitcher. 

If Crochet suffers a significant elbow injury in his next start, after throwing more innings in 2024 than he has in 2020,2021,2022 and 2023 combined...you won't believe that sudden influx of innings on his arm, after not throwing anywhere near that amount recently, will have anything to do with it? At @ptatc just pointed out with his running analogy, building up strength and endurance is a real thing. If you don't, your body and muscles are at a higher risk, which doesn't account for the inherited risk there is of any pitcher throwing a baseball with the amount of force needed to get MLB hitters out. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tony said:

If Crochet suffers a significant elbow injury in his next start, after throwing more innings in 2024 than he has in 2020,2021,2022 and 2023 combined...you won't believe that sudden influx of innings on his arm, after not throwing anywhere near that amount recently, will have anything to do with it? At @ptatc just pointed out with his running analogy, building up strength and endurance is a real thing. If you don't, your body and muscles are at a higher risk, which doesn't account for the inherited risk there is of any pitcher throwing a baseball with the amount of force needed to get MLB hitters out. 

And look, if there was some body of work that actually supported the idea that guys who have year after year of injury problems just suddenly get healthy and explode their workloads without ever looking back again, then I would be more open to it.  But Garrett Crochet would be a literal first here. 

• Like 1

Robert Murray live on YouTubes baseball insiders now 

He thinks Crochet is moved and doesn’t totally buy Yankees actually putting Jones in a crochet package. Doesn’t think it gets done with them.

Thinks Crochet ultimately gets moved and will get “massive” interest. 

Thinks Mariners are going to be aggressive and mentions Robert as possibility there. Thinks Mariners leaves deadline with 1 or 2 bats. 

44 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

His injuries were not just his elbow to where you can blame his entire history on that one thing.

Correct. But he went an entire season without pitching, and they all had a chance to fully heal. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

Correct. But he went an entire season without pitching, and they all had a chance to fully heal. 

That's not how this works.  The best indicator for future injury is past injury.

37 minutes ago, T R U said:

You're right, everything looks good now. I guess we can close the book on this.

They're already ramping him down, which I believe is appropriate. I think the Sox or another team can pitch him in the regular rotation, going 1-2 innings an outing, then ramping him up in September for a playoff run. I think he's proven his durability by doubling his lifetime pro innings this season without a hiccup. 

19 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

He has like 2 years of control left. Why would he serve any purpose to the Sox?

If you want someone like him or Outman as like a 4th or 5th piece (lux doesn't make much sense in that case) than fine by me. But they can't be in the top 3 adn if you are getting Lux your view there has to be more like a Rays type of approach where you think him just getting tons of low pressure playing time builds up his value and you can deal him for more in a year (but again - I don't think Sox have a great track record of that yet - but I suppose the theory behind it I could get behind).  

I don't think Lux would be the guy I'm doing it for - but it would have to be as like the 4th piece (and in my mind Dodgers see more value in keeping him than they would moving him at that point).  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

They're already ramping him down, which I believe is appropriate. I think the Sox or another team can pitch him in the regular rotation, going 1-2 innings an outing, then ramping him up in September for a playoff run. I think he's proven his durability by doubling his lifetime pro innings this season without a hiccup. 

Half a season of durability does not a career make.

He is currently in uncharted waters. I would not take the chance with a pitcher of his talent. You may be right but it's taking a massive risk for his career going forward.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Half a season of durability does not a career make.

He us currently in uncharted waters. I would not take the chance with a pitcher of his talent. You may be right but it's taking a massive risk for his career going forward.

This feels more like I ran out on the interstate that one time and didn't get hit by a truck and die, ergo, the interstate is safe to run out on to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This feels more like I ran out on the interstate that one time and didn't get hit by a truck and die, ergo, the interstate is safe to run out on to.

The advantage the Sox have here is that don't really need to worry about the rest of his career. Go ahead and pitch him again, he probably only has one or two left here.

The real interesting thing will be is what happens if they don't trade him. He'll be an interesting medical case for the rest of the year. You can bet the medical staff is closely documenting everything and in a couple of years there will be a case study published that start with "A male baseball pitcher 25 years old had UCL .......

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

The advantage the Sox have here is that don't really need to worry about the rest of his career. Go ahead and pitch him again, he probably only has one or two left here.

The real interesting thing will be is what happens if they don't trade him. He'll be an interesting medical case for the rest of the year. You can bet the medical staff is closely documenting everything and in a couple of years there will be a case study published that start with "A male baseball pitcher 25 years old had UCL .......

Sell sell sell sell sell sell

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Don't get me wrong, it has been fascinating to see this unfold in real time, but just because The Sox have rolled like 5 sevens in a row with Crochet's health, doesn't mean the next roll will also be a seven.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The fact there have been 0 instances of this working, tells me I am in the sell high camp ASSUMING we are actually getting serious offers.. 

Yep sell now, off-season at the absolute latest.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Don't get me wrong, it has been fascinating to see this unfold in real time, but just because The Sox have rolled like 5 sevens in a row with Crochet's health, doesn't mean the next roll will also be a seven.

I agree. Which is another reason why they should make every effort to trade him. No one knows how teams will view his value based on all of these factors. Do the Sox trade him for what they think is 75% of his value due to the other team's concerns? You know the other teams will try to talk Getz down.

• Like 1