Dodgers interested in Robert, Crochet, Pham

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I agree. Which is another reason why they should make every effort to trade him. No one knows how teams will view his value based on all of these factors. Do the Sox trade him for what they think is 75% of his value due to the other team's concerns? You know the other teams will try to talk Getz down.

The good news for the Sox is there is maybe one other superstar level pitcher on the market right now, and even Skubal is questionable with the Tigers status.  If no one offers a Sale like package by the 30th, I am very probably taking the highest offer out there and running with it.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The good news for the Sox is there is maybe one other superstar level pitcher on the market right now, and even Skubal is questionable with the Tigers status.  If no one offers a Sale like package by the 30th, I am very probably taking the highest offer out there and running with it.

It sucks but I would too.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How about Pham for Outman? Who says no?

If the Dodgers moved Outman for 2+ months of Pham, i'd have literally no confidence whatsoever that Outman could ever be a productive major leaguer again. 

Edited by ChiSox59
fixed typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

If the Dodgers moved Outman for 2+ months of Outman, i'd have literally no confidence whatsoever that Outman could ever be a productive major leaguer again. 

As bad as Outman has been, I am only interested if the Dodgers trade for Robert, and need to move him out for a roster spot as a back of the deal type of addition, and not as a significant piece.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If the Dodgers moved Outman for 2+ months of Pham, i'd have literally no confidence whatsoever that Outman could ever be a productive major leaguer again. 

Probably not, but he has as recently as last year. And all you are going to get for Pham is a lottery ticket.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Probably not, but he has as recently as last year. And all you are going to get for Pham is a lottery ticket.

Point being, that would be a hell of a lottery ticket.  I think we're talking more AAAA guy or super low level flyer for Pham.  I would imagine that LAD values Outman quite a bit more than that. If they dont, well then that's my point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I think there is from fatigue and overuse due to his lack of precious workload. There may not be from game to game but here is from cumulative use.

Injuries themselves are not predictive to the point of being projectable, meaning they're just noise and each opinion is as good as the next.

I'd actually argue his prior IP is a good thing. I've used this example a few times here already, but it's what I loved about wheeler going into FA. Limited innings and a TJ out of the way is a damn good thing. Wheeler was always hurt in his early 20s and never hurt in his 30s.

Crochet has never been hurt because of endurance issues. There's no prior history of durability challenges caused by usage. To me that means there's nothing to substantiate the idea that his arm is at risk any more than the next guy as innings go up.

Limiting innings has promoted effort increases. They're directly correlated. Garrett has a lot of innings left on that arm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Injuries themselves are not predictive to the point of being projectable, meaning they're just noise and each opinion is as good as the next.

I'd actually argue his prior IP is a good thing. I've used this example a few times here already, but it's what I loved about wheeler going into FA. Limited innings and a TJ out of the way is a damn good thing. Wheeler was always hurt in his early 20s and never hurt in his 30s.

Crochet has never been hurt because of endurance issues. There's no prior history of durability challenges caused by usage. To me that means there's nothing to substantiate the idea that his arm is at risk any more than the next guy as innings go up.

Limiting innings has promoted effort increases. They're directly correlated. Garrett has a lot of innings left on that arm.

Ray Ray, you hoping the Sox keep Crochet?

31 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agree. Which is another reason why they should make every effort to trade him. No one knows how teams will view his value based on all of these factors. Do the Sox trade him for what they think is 75% of his value due to the other team's concerns? You know the other teams will try to talk Getz down.

I go back to Crochet is a person we have ridden high - could we get a sligthly less valuation to maximize a 250% return on our money - sure....but we are one quarter away from losing our huge contract and being a penny stock given his track record. So to me - take the pretty good offer if one is on the table.

Now if reality is everyone is discounting him and all you get is a back end top 100 guy and a throw-in, than no, I'm not trading Crochet for that and I'll rest him this year and use him as an opener or whatever and than hope to get more out of him in the next couple of years.  

30 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I would laugh in every gms face if they tried to talk down Crochet.

He's a unicorn and everyone knows it. You're getting him for 2 1/2 years too. He could be the best pitcher, or top 3 on the less optimistic side, in baseball next year; only thing holding him back this year is innings. 

Crochet will continue to develop, would bet another pitch makes it's way into the arsenal at some point. 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, incredibly disappointed it looks like they're moving him. Whatever they get back, it won't be enough. 

I would agree, if this team was looking at a 72-90 type season. This team is not even close to being a 70 win team, they won't meet a price to extend Crochet, and they wont be competitive while they control him.

The only logical outcome is to trade him.

There’s no reason they can’t try to sign Crochet when he is a free agent. This team will not be very good the next 2 years. He seems to want to bet on himself. Unless he’s taking a team friendly deal now (he’s not) cash in on him now and try to get some long term help. Maybe their philosophy (aka possible new owner haha) on signing pitchers will be different then.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think Luis Robert in a good line up would be a sight to see.

I know some people think protection doesn’t matter, but it’s hard to argue that the disaster of an offense surrounding hasn’t impacted him.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know some people think protection doesn’t matter, but it’s hard to argue that the disaster of an offense surrounding hasn’t impacted him.

2023: 38 HR's - 80 RBIS - 27 Solo HR's, from a guy that is batting 3rd for 100+ games. Oof.

2024: 11 HR's - 23 RBIS - He has 6 solo HR's and 5 2-Run HRs. There has never been more than 1 person on base for any HR he has hit this season.

I would say you are correct sir.

Edited by T R U
More Info
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wheeler even had put up big innings numbers early in his career.  He put in 149 innings between AA and AAA.  He put up 168 in his last MiLB year and first MLB year combined.  He put up 185 innings in his 2nd season at MLB.  Garrett Crochet put up 180 innings total between 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024.  Wheeler might have had some injuries later on, but he put up a ton of base work before them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

No. I will gladly cash my winnings now.

Yep you get 1 medical miracle so far why think you're going to keep getting it over and over.

I love what he has overcome to reach the level he's at now but sell high for once with 3.5 months of being great.

It's going to come down to the wire. If you got offers pit teams against one another. You say I have better offers , you have to do better because your competitive values him and a World Series win more than do.

46 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unless one takes on the deGrom deal with just a token Tier C prospect the return...before he even debuts the first two weeks of August.

10 minutes ago, T R U said:

I would agree, if this team was looking at a 72-90 type season. This team is not even close to being a 70 win team, they won't meet a price to extend Crochet, and they wont be competitive while they control him.

The only logical outcome is to trade him.

They should extend crochet. I grew up a fan of a team that kept the majority of their star players at least through a 2nd contract. 

This new way the Sox operate is incredibly depressing. Crochet is a generational talent, and as fans we determine which year is best to trade him... not me.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They should extend crochet. I grew up a fan of a team that kept the majority of their star players at least through a 2nd contract. 

This new way the Sox operate is incredibly depressing. Crochet is a generational talent, and as fans we determine which year is best to trade him... not me.

Out of curiosity, how much are you willing to pay to extend him?

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They should do a lot of things, you're a fan of a team that has never signed someone to a contract greater than $75 million I wouldn't be getting attached to any superstar players that put on this uniform.