Managers on the Hot Seat...

From CBS Sportsline. No surprise:

Pedro Grifol, White Sox

Earl Weaver couldn't have crafted a winner out of the White Sox rosters with which Grifol has been saddled, but it's hard to ignore all the losing. Since taking over prior to the start of the 2023 season, Grifol is 88-172, and this season finds his charges on pace for 117 losses. Now consider that general manager Chris Getz will likely pawn off multiple productive veterans leading up to the trade deadline, thus making a terrible team even worse for the stretch drive. Will Getz seek to deflect criticism by canning a manager he didn't hire in the first place? It seems quite possible. 

Somehow he concurrently is

Leading a team that absolutely can't win and would be fired to deflect criticism from the rest of the organization. 

And

Deserves to be fired for underperforming his role. 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

At this point, it seems like finishing out the year is gonna happen barring some highly embarrassing moment.  It is what it is

I don't really see any net benefit in changing horses at this point. Just let him finish out the year and s%*# can him on some Friday night in October.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't really see any net benefit in changing horses at this point. Just let him finish out the year and s%*# can him on some Friday night in October.

Oh I do, we are about to have a bunch of younger prospects come in that will actually be the future of the team. And without Maldonado to manage them.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oh I do, we are about to have a bunch of younger prospects come in that will actually be the future of the team. And without Maldonado to manage them.

That is my worry about promoting players like Brooks Baldwin, we have a manager who has repeatedly shown no ability to nurture young prospects and a dressing room that is full of players who know they are on the way out and have lost over 70 games so far.

6 hours ago, bmags said:

NSIS but I'd say the devil you know is better than the one you don't for 2024 remainder. I have no faith the Sox would promote the right guy if Griffol is canned and with all the guys likely headed out soon having a managerial change added on top might just put us back into historical futility. Just do a real search in the off-season and let Pedro see this one out.

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

NSIS but I'd say the devil you know is better than the one you don't for 2024 remainder. I have no faith the Sox would promote the right guy if Griffol is canned and with all the guys likely headed out soon having a managerial change added on top might just put us back into historical futility. Just do a real search in the off-season and let Pedro see this one out.

I'm sorry, you have us confused with a competent org.

You'll get Charlie Montoyo and you'll like it.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm sorry, you have us convinced with a competent org.

You'll get Charlie Montoyo and you'll like it.

It really feels so obvious as we sit here today.  You can almost hear the

"We have a guy here who already knows these guys, so we don't have to waste a year of evaluations by the manager"

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There is no devil you don't know when you are on pace for worst baseball record in 100 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, palehose1 said:

I know Im delusional but Terry Francona would be a great choice. He's had health issues and probably doesn't want the grind  anymore. His Indians / Guardians team always played good fundamental baseball.

He has serious health issues. non starter.

@bmags it might change if the big guns get traded but tragically the way the Sox have played under Pedro for about a month and a half now is regular old putrid and not historically putrid. Fangraphs actually thinks we're still going to win 54 games. I don't really GAF if they fire pedro or not I just once again dont see any obvious utility in thrusting in some White Sox coach (you know they aren't going to bring in anybody else in season) who is even more in over his head than Pedro for the last 60 games or so. 

• Like 1

I would ask the question "How many years are the White Sox committed to Grifol. If it is 2 year then it is a no-brainer. If it is 3 or more years , this organization my not assume it is a no-brainer.  They staffed this team to fail and they did a good job with that.

51 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I would ask the question "How many years are the White Sox committed to Grifol. If it is 2 year then it is a no-brainer. If it is 3 or more years , this organization my not assume it is a no-brainer.  They staffed this team to fail and they did a good job with that.

This is the second year of a three year deal. 

2 hours ago, palehose1 said:

I know Im delusional but Terry Francona would be a great choice. He's had health issues and probably doesn't want the grind  anymore. His Indians / Guardians team always played good fundamental baseball.

Pretty sure he’d still be the manager of the Guardians if he were interested in managing

• Like 2

3 hours ago, palehose1 said:

I don't think the question is why the Sox don't want him, but more like why would he want this job?