MLB front offices under the most pressure, aka WERE #1

Yup.

Again, Chris needs to nail the return on both Crochet/Robert. It will largely dictate when this team is competitve again. Absolutely needs to hit on some core position player pieces.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t say he is under pressure from JR, even if he botches this trade deadline.  Getz was gifted the GM job cuz he was the only man left standing to fill the role.  He also cut payroll a ton.  He will still have a lot of rope with JR, even if he screws this up.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I will say I am not a fan of the premise that only the bad teams seem to be under pressure.  San Diego and Baltimore have to be feeling the pressure of their divisions and their past failures.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will say I am not a fan of the premise that only the bad teams seem to be under pressure.  San Diego and Baltimore have to be feeling the pressure of their divisions and their past failures.

Yeah there would seem to be more pressure on the competitive teams but I get why there is pressure on the Sox. 

Pressure isn't the word, as there is no accountability is this org. What Getz does or doesn't do this deadline is likely to have to most impact on team success in the near future. He needs to get it right, or he could set the rebuild back by years. But at the end of the day, he'll still be here even if he fucks it up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Pressure isn't the word, as there is no accountability is this org. What Getz does or doesn't do this deadline is likely to have to most impact on team success in the near future. He needs to get it right, or he could set the rebuild back by years. But at the end of the day, he'll still be here even if he fucks it up.

It's pretty sad that people only equate pressure to having employment.  Many people take pride in their work and feel the pressure to succeed and do well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

It's pretty sad that people only equate pressure to having employment.  Many people take pride in their work and feel the pressure to succeed and do well. 

There is a lot of truth in the bolded part but I think it is mitigated somewhat with the Sox given the "loyalty" factor by JR and the fact that it is a lot easier to let pride in doing a job well, slip, if you are making a six figure salary. Human nature.  

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

There is a lot of truth in the bolded part but I think it is mitigated somewhat with the Sox given the "loyalty" factor by JR and the fact that it is a lot easier to let pride in doing a job well, slip, if you are making a six figure salary. Human nature.  

Don't know if I would agree that human nature is let the performance slip if you are making six figures. It's more to do with are your values more intrinsically motivated or externally  motivated. Some will say if you are allowed to do your job  without fear you will he more creative and take the chances needed to succeed. However I do get your point many will sit back and take it easy.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2024 at 8:22 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Do the Sox really lose if they keep their players?  I think not.

I do think they need a new staff.  Maybe hire a manager who wants his own coaches.    

I wouldn't bank on a faithful fanbase.

So it would be another dumpster dive for CF and 2 starters or the premature callups.

The teams who have moved from the habitual losing camp have invested more in scouting and development.  All the Sox will do is rinse and repeat because the good people are not really in charge. 

3 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I do think they need a new staff.  Maybe hire a manager who wants his own coaches.    

So it would be another dumpster dive for CF and 2 starters or the premature callups.

The teams who have moved from the habitual losing camp have invested more in scouting and development.  All the Sox will do is rinse and repeat because the good people are not really in charge. 

The evidence from this season suggests the answer is Yes they do lose with the current players!

But in all seriousness without a change of FO and manager etc any trades will just be new bodies to do the same thing. The only point of trading for prospects is if you have a  manager/coaches who can actually develop them into MLB talent, and over the last few years the White Sox have shown they don't

• Like 1

Getz just had to answer the phone and he's got lots of choices and opportunities. We'll never know the offers, so based on years of experience as fans, we will call his efforts a failure and want him replaced. 

His boss will stand by him literally until death as this point. 

The above I believe is an unbiased prediction. The following is based on decades of being a fan. 

Tuesday at 6:01 pm, the player we didn't trade will go on IR. 

On 7/19/2024 at 11:32 AM, ptatc said:

Its reality.  It is what it is, pressure is applied in different ways.  The entire front office should be feeling employment pressure right now over this tire fire.  I know I would 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

The Sox will be threatening for the worst record in modern baseball history this year lead by an epically bad offense.  The system is completely devoid of high certainty and/or high impact positional prospects and it’s very clear that we still don’t know how to develop minor league hitters.  If we keep Crochet & Robert, Getz has to upgrade eight lineup spots without the ability to convert one of these valuable assets into multiple pieces.  To say that would be challenging would be the understatement of the century.

The fate of this rebuild is 100% hinged on how well does this deadline and/or this offseason (if offers aren’t there).  If he botches this and accepts a subpar return for these guys, the rebuild will take significantly longer.  As such, the pressure is immense right now for Chris Getz.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Its reality.  It is what it is, pressure is applied in different ways.  The entire front office should be feeling employment pressure right now over this tire fire.  I know I would 

But why would they feel the pressure they should when they can look no further than the clown manager whom keeps his job through all sorts of failure and embarrassment?  This is one of the reasons why JR’s teams are so dysfunctional.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

This whole situation is an absolute disaster!!!!!  Getz is so far over his head, that it’s beyond embarrassing.   Having been a sports fan for over 55 years, this is the absolute worse run franchise I’ve ever seen!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But why would they feel the pressure they should when they can look no further than the clown manager whom keeps his job through all sorts of failure and embarrassment?  This is one of the reasons why JR’s teams are so dysfunctional.

this teams performance hangs on every one involved.  This record is gonna follow them all if it becomes the worst in history 

9 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

They do in that they aren't getting the future talent they need to really start the upswing for the franchise.  Instead, they will being losing control on depreciating assets with nothing behind them.  It is the worst case scenario.

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The Getz Defense team is still in full Blame Hahn mode of the honeymoon phase.  They are feeling pressure, but nothing like they will be in a year or two when there is no one else left to blame.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2024 at 2:46 PM, ptatc said:

Don't know if I would agree that human nature is let the performance slip if you are making six figures. It's more to do with are your values more intrinsically motivated or externally  motivated. Some will say if you are allowed to do your job  without fear you will he more creative and take the chances needed to succeed. However I do get your point many will sit back and take it easy.

There's science to back up what you say:

4 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Jerry doesn't think anyone's under pressure here. I'm sure he thinks everything is going fine.

Only thing he's upset about is that he's about to lose millions of dollars from attendance because no one showed up

On 7/19/2024 at 11:22 PM, southsider2k5 said:

I will say I am not a fan of the premise that only the bad teams seem to be under pressure.  San Diego and Baltimore have in to be feeling the pressure of their divisions and their past failures.

Top 3-4 in attendance after shedding $100 million in payroll?  Owner died. RSN blew up in a way where they lost more money than practically any team in baseball. Missing two best starting pitchers,  likely for the remainder of the season, as well as All Star RF? 

Edited by caulfield12