Crochet "top" priority for LAD

Serious question: Why would a contender want to acquire a guy who is going to be completely shut down before meaningful baseball is to be played? Seems stupid to worry about next year when this year is here for teams like the Dodgers. I'm against trading him of course but if Sox do trade him they need the Dodgers' top 3-4 prospects on their prospect list whoever they are.

• TLR 1

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Serious question: Why would a contender want to acquire a guy who is going to be completely shut down before meaningful baseball is to be played? Seems stupid to worry about next year when this year is here for teams like the Dodgers. I'm against trading him of course but if Sox do trade him they need the Dodgers' top 3-4 prospects on their prospect list whoever they are.

Because they can ramp him down as a 1-2 inning opener, keep him on his starting schedule, and then ramp him up again towards the end of September. 

And then, they have a top starter in the game for the next two seasons. 

Edited by WestEddy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Because they can ramp him down as a 1-2 inning opener, keep him on his starting schedule, and then ramp him up again towards the end of September. 

And then, they have a top starter in the game for the next two seasons. 

Try explaining that to a fan base that wants to win now. Remember most teams are not like the White Sox in a constant state of tank/rebuild. Two innings at the beginning of the game are meaningless to contenders by the way. And you don't want to make him a reliever and possibly screw up his current routine/current arm. This is hilarious if true. Dodgers in late July worrying about next year and the year after. Only in baseball. Every move the Dodgers make should be about winning it all now. That's be insidious of them if Crochet becomes a late inning guy in the postseason. They prolly won't be able to help themselves from pitching him in late game situations in the playoffs/Series.

Edited by greg775
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Try explaining that to a fan base that wants to win now. Remember most teams are not like the White Sox in a constant state of tank/rebuild. Two innings at the beginning of the game are meaningless to contenders by the way. And you don't want to make him a reliever and possibly screw up his current routine/current arm. This is hilarious if true. Dodgers in late July worrying about next year and the year after. Only in baseball. Every move the Dodgers make should be about winning it all now. That's be insidious of them if Crochet becomes a late inning guy in the postseason. They prolly won't be able to help themselves from pitching him in late game situations in the playoffs/Series.

I don't work for the Dodgers. So you don't have to treat my words like the Dodger organization came to your house and said what I did. 

1) The Dodgers have a small bunch of starting pitchers who aren't 9-inning endurance monsters. So their fan base probably understands stacking the roster with great pitchers who will pitch two months, or two innings at a time. 
2) Putting down the batting order once at the beginning of the game isn't "meaningless". Those 6-9 outs are just as valuable early as they are late. 
3) Being an opener on a 5 day schedule isn't "being a reliever". And I did mention ramping him back up for the playoffs to a 5-inning starter. 
4) If you think that the Dodgers worrying about next year is hilarious, you must piss yourself laughing every time you consider that Ohtani and Yamamoto are signed to multi-year contracts. 
5) "Every move should be about winning now" is a silly, meaningless mantra. There are about 4-5 levels of minor leagues that teams invest heavily in that have nothing to do with "winning now". I'll wait until you catch your breath from laughing. So, therefore, picking up a player that is controllable beyond the current season is seen as added value. Giggle yourself silly, now. 
6) I'm guessing that a team that has been in the postseason the last 11 seasons will be able to "help themselves from injuring their players" in the last week of the playoffs. And if Crochet is properly ramped up, there's probably no real problem with him throwing an inning in game 7 of the World Series. 

• Fire 3

i just noticed that the White Sox are giving out  a Crochet Star Wars bobblehead (special ticket) on Friday August 30. Wonder what  they will do with the bobbleheads if he is traded.

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

i just noticed that the White Sox are giving out  a Crochet Star Wars bobblehead (special ticket) on Friday August 30. Wonder what  they will do with the bobbleheads if he is traded.

Paint a Dodger uniform on him and ship them to LA with Crochet. 

1 hour ago, peanut33tillman said:

If I’m Getz and Dodgers are serious about Crochet I’m asking for something like….

Pages

De Paula

Rushing

Doubt they do it but I don’t love how we line up with them anyways. 

Depending on how creative you want to get you could include Robert, Jr. , Fedde and / or some relievers and make a super trade that neither fan base would be happy with.

Names to consider to improve roster for next year and bring more talent in for the future.

Dodgers have pieces that you could buy low on who are probably better than any of our AAA guys like Bobby Miller or Outman. Sox don't have many bonafide CF candidates. Dustin May keeps having medical setbacks. Just throwing names out there .

I know everyone will want their best and brightest minor leaguers but there's so little talent in AAA and the majors ( on the Sox ) that if you can get injured or slumping guys with a lot of talent and plenty of years left at a discount maybe you can have a pretty good starting pitching staff next year and speed and defense in CF.

I know super trades don't really happen but if your threw Colas in there with Crochet,Robert Jr and Kopech Would it be terrible to get back Pages, DePaula, Rushing, Lux ,Miller, May, Outman and more ?

Just playing armchair GM .I don't really expect anyone to think getting hurt or slumping guys is a great idea. The Dodgers have plenty of talent but a lot of it isn't exactly at its peak right now. They're kind of like the Sox of the recent past
in that major injuries are crippling them. But they won't sit on their asses and do nothing .

There's a lot of smoke around  a Sox Dodgers trade now. Lots of ways this can go depending on how long the Sox FO wants to get them to a competitive level when all their best players on an all-time terrible team will be gone soon . They could be even worse next year. .

1 hour ago, peanut33tillman said:

If I’m Getz and Dodgers are serious about Crochet I’m asking for something like….

Pages

De Paula

Rushing

That’s an easy decline for me.. de Paula seems to be a DH. If rushing can’t catch his value is smashed. Pages seems like a classic overhyped dodger prospect that’ll bust

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Depending on how creative you want to get you could include Robert, Jr. , Fedde and / or some relievers and make a super trade that neither fan base would be happy with.

Names to consider to improve roster for next year and bring more talent in for the future.

Dodgers have pieces that you could buy low on who are probably better than any of our AAA guys like Bobby Miller or Outman. Sox don't have many bonafide CF candidates. Dustin May keeps having medical setbacks. Just throwing names out there .

I know everyone will want their best and brightest minor leaguers but there's so little talent in AAA and the majors ( on the Sox ) that if you can get injured or slumping guys with a lot of talent and plenty of years left at a discount maybe you can have a pretty good starting pitching staff next year and speed and defense in CF.

I know super trades don't really happen but if your threw Colas in there with Crochet,Robert Jr and Kopech Would it be terrible to get back Pages, DePaula, Rushing, Lux ,Miller, May, Outman and more ?

Just playing armchair GM .I don't really expect anyone to think getting hurt or slumping guys is a great idea. The Dodgers have plenty of talent but a lot of it isn't exactly at its peak right now. They're kind of like the Sox of the recent past
in that major injuries are crippling them. But they won't sit on their asses and do nothing .

There's a lot of smoke around  a Sox Dodgers trade now. Lots of ways this can go depending on how long the Sox FO wants to get them to a competitive level when all their best players on an all-time terrible team will be gone soon . They could be even worse next year. .

May is out with a weird injury and only has a year of control left.  Lux isn’t anything special and only has two years of control left.  Outman is 27 years old and his bat has been exposed in the majors over a larger sample.   These guys aren’t all that valuable and certainly don’t really help us in our rebuild.

One team acquiring Crochet & Robert in the same trade would be near impossible for all but a handful of clubs and I don’t see the Dodgers being one of them.  That being said, a package of Pages, De Paula, & Freeland would be enough for one of them plus a smaller piece (Kopech, DeJong, Pham, etc.). 

2 hours ago, peanut33tillman said:

Pages

De Paula

Rushing

That would be my ask as well.  Throw in Pham to replace Pages on their roster.  Hell, throw in Kopech too.

48 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I am against a megadeal with the Dodgers because most of their talent is either very far away or kinda too old. Outman is 27 years old. May turns 27 in September, same for Lux in November.  By the time the Sox are good again, they'll all be 30, plus they've all burned a lot of cheap service time. And if they were all that good, the Dodgers wouldn't be trading them. Rushing and Pages are 23, which is okay, but Pages never walks and is more of what the Sox have already got. Rushing would be a first baseman for the Sox and his offensive profile does not support that. DePaula makes some sense. I could do Rushing, Miller, and DePaula for Crochet maybe. The rest of it is volume that would be highly disappointing.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

The Dodgers are a lock for the playoffs this year. They aren't a "contender" you can pencil them in for the N.L. playoffs.

They have the opportunity to get a person who could be an ace pitcher for several seasons including this year and have him ready to go when it counts the most...this season...come October. They can monitor his work load until then without risking anything as far as making the post season. They have that much flexibility.

Dodger fans will understand that situation easily, It is strange that others don't seem to grasp that concept.  

• Like 1

Im not trading him to the Dodgers unless it’s a gross overpay. Don’t like their options. Something like Pages, Depaula, Rushing, Ryan and a flyer. Then maybe trade Rushing in another deal now or in the winter. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The Dodgers are a lock for the playoffs this year. They aren't a "contender" you can pencil them in for the N.L. playoffs.

They have the opportunity to get a person who could be an ace pitcher for several seasons including this year and have him ready to go when it counts the most...this season...come October. They can monitor his work load until then without risking anything as far as making the post season. They have that much flexibility.

Dodger fans will understand that situation easily, It is strange that others don't seem to grasp that concept.  

All of this is a "could be"

1. Injury history

2. Only half year as a starter.

This will make GMs hesitate. Rightfully so.