Cardinals Have Strong Interest in Fedde

10 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

They do NOT have a lot. Jordan Walker reclamation project? JJ Wetherholt as a PTBNL? Victor Scott II?

I was actually wondering if you could do a draft pick as a PTBNL if the later is after the World Series.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

13 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

They do NOT have a lot. Jordan Walker reclamation project? JJ Wetherholt as a PTBNL? Victor Scott II?

Walker’s defense is a plague. It’s hard to understand how someone who plays defense that poorly could ever be an elite MLB prospect, which he was at one time.   The fans act like he’s still an untouchable.

The Cardinals system doesn’t look particularly interesting. Still I think pretty much any team could put together a good package, since his trade won’t involve top-tier prospects. 

I'd probably start with Saggese and Hjerpe, but maybe something like Saggese, Honeyman, and Showalter?

It's still tough to gauge Fedde's value. I think he could bring in maybe a low top 100 guy and a flier, or a package like the above, a 50-45-40 package with guys who have put up good numbers thus far. 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was actually wondering if you could do a draft pick as a PTBNL if the later is after the World Series.

No. A player drafted in this season cannot be part of a trade initiated before the end of the world series. 

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Walker’s defense is a plague. It’s hard to understand how someone who plays defense that poorly could ever be an elite MLB prospect, which he was at one time.   The fans act like he’s still an untouchable.

The Cardinals system doesn’t look particularly interesting. Still I think pretty much any team could put together a good package, since his trade won’t involve top-tier prospects. 

Why wouldn't it involve a top tier prospect ? He's a very good cheap starting pitcher with an extra year of control .

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why wouldn't it involve a top tier prospect ? He's a very good cheap starting pitcher with an extra year of control .

Yeah I don’t get that either. Sure you aren’t getting Holliday or something, but you should be getting two guys who you pencil in as part of your future. 

Here's a Twitter dude, used BTV to balance the value, and he got jumped on by all of Twitter. Not really sure if it was Sox or Cards' fans. 

45 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's just my opinion, but I don't think teams will give up a blue-chip prospect for Fedde. 
It's just my feeling based on what I've seen: we can start with we didn't get one for Cease (despite media reports that we were getting this massive offers).
I think we'll get one, but it will be like pulling teeth, for Crochet or Robert.
Which is why I think the Sox need to scout the living heck out of the 2nd and 3rd tier prospects for both talent and "makeup." (the latter of which the Sox have ignored at times to their detriment). 

Edited by GreenSox

27 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

It's just my opinion, but I don't think teams will give up a blue-chip prospect for Fedde. 
It's just my feeling based on what I've seen: we can start with we didn't get one for Cease (despite media reports that we were getting this massive offers).
I think we'll get one, but it will be like pulling teeth, for Crochet or Robert.
Which is why I think the Sox need to scout the living heck out of the 2nd and 3rd tier prospects for both talent and "makeup." (the latter of which the Sox have ignored at times to their detriment). 

The Sox have tons of 2nd and 3rd tier prospects. If that's all they're getting (and you may be right), I'd rather just keep Fedde and Crochet. I think Robert may be gone for less than we hope because Jerry wants to jettison the contract.

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The Sox have tons of 2nd and 3rd tier prospects. If that's all they're getting (and you may be right), I'd rather just keep Fedde and Crochet. I think Robert may be gone for less than we hope because Jerry wants to jettison the contract.

You get whatever you can for Fedde because he's on the wrong side of 30 and cheap for only one more year.

Thinking that Robert's contract is one that needs jettisoning is such a sad thought.

Like, unreal levels of poverty franchise thinking going into that train of thought.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Quin said:

You get whatever you can for Fedde because he's on the wrong side of 30 and cheap for only one more year.

Thinking that Robert's contract is one that needs jettisoning is such a sad thought.

Like, unreal levels of poverty franchise thinking going into that train of thought.

Fedde could get you a B-level prospect at the deadline next year. If that's all you're getting offered, why not take a year of innings the Sox are gonna need?

Yeah, if they think $20 mil is too much for Robert, we're all suddenly Pirates fans. But reading between the lines of Bob's columns, it seems the Sox really want to get all money off the books.

59 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Here's a Twitter dude, used BTV to balance the value, and he got jumped on by all of Twitter. Not really sure if it was Sox or Cards' fans. 

I would do that trade 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Fedde could get you a B-level prospect at the deadline next year. If that's all you're getting offered, why not take a year of innings the Sox are gonna need?

Yeah, if they think $20 mil is too much for Robert, we're all suddenly Pirates fans. But reading between the lines of Bob's columns, it seems the Sox really want to get all money off the books.

What I really mean is that we have to find the prospects where the consensus is wrong (and also avoid the phony top prospects).  I don't know if the Sox have the scouting chops to do that.  But I just look at the Dodgers and last year their #1 was Cartaya: he's now #7.   Last year their #12 was DePaula.  He's now #2. Find the DePaulas and avoid the Cartayas.  The Rays got their #4 for the rent of Glasnow; how hum, except that Pepiot has pitched like an ace.  
All easier said than done.  But the Sox have to be smarter than the lists.

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

No way, Fedde needs to go in the next few days period. His value will never be higher than now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Cause there's no guarantee Fedde keeps pitching this well next year and he'll be setting himself up for a pay day.

And if Roberts' contract, with its team options, is suddenly a massive burden, Erick Fedde 's next contract would break this team's soul if he keeps pitching like this.

• Like 1

Really wanted us to go after Alec Burleson last year with the cards. Their fans were so down on him and were ready to toss him aside. 

Now look at him this year.  Best hitter on the team.  One of the top in the NL. Too late now.  

10 hours ago, fathom said:

Don’t buy low on Carlson!

What exactly are you expecting ?

Seems like teams are just following Baltimore's (Valdemort's ?) clinging to and overvaluing position player prospects because they know the weak franchises like the Sox are desperate and impoverished and only willing to throw them scraps like a pawn shop paying $50 for a Rolex from a crack head .