Moncada and Clevinger "returned from rehab assignments"

I know I posted what was being reported yesterday, so don't kill the messenger, but Moncada is is the 2nd most productive position player in the 2016-17 rebuild after Robert. He has been worth 14.0 fWAR over 8 seasons and Robert has been worth 13.0 fWAR over 5 seasons. 

Moncada should not get as much s%*# as he does from Sox fans, he's been solid. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I know I posted what was being reported yesterday, so don't kill the messenger, but Moncada is is the 2nd most productive position player in the 2016-17 rebuild after Robert. He has been worth 14.0 fWAR over 8 seasons and Robert has been worth 13.0 fWAR over 5 seasons. 

fWAR, WAR, ZWAR, ABC, XYZ et al doesn't mean squat when you are always on the injured list.

From the people I spoke with all connected to the organization in various way for my November 2022 story:

“The problem is some of these guys just don’t care, they want to win sure but they already have gotten their money with these contracts before they proved anything. Moncada would strike out and just walk back to the dugout like no big deal, he fouls a ball off and now he can’t play for three days? His contract makes him untradable but he needs to go.”

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

The majority of that WAR for Moncada was earned years ago.  In the last 3 seasons, he has been worth a total of 2.2 fWAR.  That’s because he hits the IR with a mosquito bite these days. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The majority of that WAR for Moncada was earned years ago.  In the last 3 seasons, he has been worth a total of 2.2 fWAR.  That’s because he hits the IR with a mosquito bite these days. 

Nobody doubts he sucks now, but from 2018-2021 he was solid. 

58 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

The problem is Sox fans expected elite - he has been good and can be frustrating in terms of not living up to his hype - but outside of the injuries he has been a good player. Get him in Dodgers as the 5th/6th best player and they will love him. He is such a good defensive player even though bat hasn’t lived up to hype. 

With a $5 million buy out for the 2025 season Moncada will have made over $71 million in his career. He checked out a while back with money in the bank. I don't see him having any hunger or drive to be competitive going further.  

He had one good season in 2019, + defender, and a great guy is about all I can say.

Unfortunately, Yoan is too expensive for the Sox to let him stick around another year and prove he can contribute a full season.

10 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I disagree here.  For the first few years he was here, I just thought he was young, immature and unlucky.  When that carries over into 5-6 years, you start to look at a guy differently.  He was the face of the franchise’s future—and that goes both ways.  He had the talent, but in the end—his immaturity took over.  He and Eloy were the source of the hope but also the face of so many failures—including the most damaging…they contributed mightily to the destruction of the White Sox culture.  Their poor work ethic, bad attitudes and immaturity combined with a newfound love of ritz and money and they both worked a system that allowed them to do absolutely nothing and still cash massive checks—all while avoiding the catastrophe of associating with a disastrous on-field product.  They were content living it up with their lives in their rehab facilities rather than being with the team.  That absolutely burried an already weak franchise who was counting on them—and PAYING them to play.  I think they deserve the crap they get.  I’m glad Eloy is gone and I can’t wait to see Moncada get cut off from his free ride with us.  There are players with better talent who actually want to play baseball who work for those paychecks—let’s focus more on them.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Didn't you always say you didn't believe/trust Moncada's fWAR numbers back in the day, specifically because you thought his defensive WAR was way inflated?

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Didn't you always say you didn't believe/trust Moncada's fWAR numbers back in the day, specifically because you thought his defensive WAR was way inflated?

I do remember having a discussion about OAA vs UZR, yes. fWAR has since been adjusted and Moncada's 2021 fWAR has dropped from 4.1 to 3.7. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

6 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Remember he was rated THE #1 minor league prospect in all of baseball.

That's called an epic fail in my book. 

It's a reminder that rankings in MiLB rarely have any credibility.  

14 hours ago, Falstaff said:

With a $5 million buy out for the 2025 season Moncada will have made over $71 million in his career. He checked out a while back with money in the bank. I don't see him having any hunger or drive to be competitive going further.  

He had one good season in 2019, + defender, and a great guy is about all I can say.

Unfortunately, Yoan is too expensive for the Sox to let him stick around another year and prove he can contribute a full season.

What really sucks is seeing how motivated he was to play for Cuba in the 2023 World Baseball Classic. Dude was on fire, led the team with a 1.258 OPS, I really thought he was going to be 'back' that year. Nope. Just goes to show that he has it in him when he wants to, but no drive when it doesn't matter to him.

Gotta love how Moncada stayed worthless to the end.  Couldn’t even stay healthy or get healthy by the trade deadline so the Sox could get a minor league scrub for him or at least dump some of his salary like with Eloy.  Fucking bum…

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

From the Sun-Times tonight:

Third baseman Yoan Moncada hasn’t played since April 9 after suffering a strained left adductor while running out a grounder against the Guardians.

Moncada, who has played in only 11 games, has been medically cleared to play, but a return to the majors isn’t imminent. His rehab was interrupted in late July because of soreness, and he hasn’t made any gains that would enable him to return to the team.

‘‘He’s been running,’’ Sizemore said. ‘‘He’s still kind of feeling something there. I can’t tell you that we’re going to get him back or we’re not. I just don’t know.

‘‘With him, we’re checking in daily, hoping for the best and waiting for him to tell us when he’s feeling confident that he’s not favoring it or worried about anything else.’’

The Sox have a $25 million club option for next season on Moncada, who has been beset by injuries through much of his career.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

From the Sun-Times tonight:

Third baseman Yoan Moncada hasn’t played since April 9 after suffering a strained left adductor while running out a grounder against the Guardians.

Moncada, who has played in only 11 games, has been medically cleared to play, but a return to the majors isn’t imminent. His rehab was interrupted in late July because of soreness, and he hasn’t made any gains that would enable him to return to the team.

‘‘He’s been running,’’ Sizemore said. ‘‘He’s still kind of feeling something there. I can’t tell you that we’re going to get him back or we’re not. I just don’t know.

‘‘With him, we’re checking in daily, hoping for the best and waiting for him to tell us when he’s feeling confident that he’s not favoring it or worried about anything else.’’

The Sox have a $25 million club option for next season on Moncada, who has been beset by injuries through much of his career.

It’s obvious that this loser doesn’t even want to play.  He wants to sit at home and collect a check.  Fucking bum…

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s obvious that this loser doesn’t even want to play.  He wants to sit at home and collect a check.  Fucking bum…

That's what this looks like but who knows for sure. There seems to be a disconnect between the team saying 'he can play' and Moncada saying 'no I can't'

If he doesn't play this year that could hurt his chances to get a decent deal next year with another club and it wouldn't surprise me if the Sox put out info discreetly of course, that there may be some 'issues' with him. 

29 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's what this looks like but who knows for sure. There seems to be a disconnect between the team saying 'he can play' and Moncada saying 'no I can't'

If he doesn't play this year that could hurt his chances to get a decent deal next year with another club and it wouldn't surprise me if the Sox put out info discreetly of course, that there may be some 'issues' with him. 

Who cares what happens to Moncada at this point?  I doubt he has another plate appearance for the White Sox.

He will no longer be the Sox problem once they inevitably give him his ridiculous $5 million dollar buyout, but it will be worth it to never have to discuss his sorry bust ass again.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1