Skubal/Orioles talk...

I don't understand why they would do this. Tigers actually have a chance to compete in the division next year. If you aren't by this time next year, then you move him. I'd be livid as a Tigers fan if they traded him this year. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PaleAleSox said:

I don't understand why they would do this. Tigers actually have a chance to compete in the division next year. If you aren't by this time next year, then you move him. I'd be livid as a Tigers fan if they traded him this year. 

Could be posturing by one or both teams to have this out there. Going to be alot of "smoke" around this time. Some of it will be b.s. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Could be posturing by one or both teams to have this out there. Going to be alot of "smoke" around this time. Some of it will be b.s. 

If you’re interested in Crochet, doesn’t hurt to have some info out there that Tigers are listening to offers.

Tigers are in a far different spot than the White Sox, and have ownership that has and will spend. Skubal talk is just that IMO, talk. Crochet and Skubal are in totally different situations and I don’t see why Detroit even entertains the idea of a trade. 

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Tigers are in a far different spot than the White Sox, and have ownership that has and will spend. Skubal talk is just that IMO, talk. Crochet and Skubal are in totally different situations and I don’t see why Detroit even entertains the idea of a trade. 

Because, depending on what a team is looking to spend, maybe they can shift them over to Flaherty. And maybe to gauge Skubal's perceived value ahead of the off-season and perhaps next year's TDL, if the team doesn't make a run. 

15 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

What makes you think the Tigers will spend?

Their payroll is 24 th in the league and is 40 million less than the White Sox.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There are rumors that the Tigers are going to try  to sign Juan Soto  when he becomes a free agent.

Just now, WBWSF said:

There are rumors that the Tigers are going to try  to sign Juan Soto  when he becomes a free agent.

That would be spending. Would they have any money left for anyone else then?

That will be interesting to watch 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'm here. This ain't the dad, Mike Ilych, spending his money to see a world series champ once before he leaves the Earth. It's his kids trying to hang onto their inheritance. 

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The fact that they have spent in the past? Granted, we don't know if Christopher Illitch will spend like his father, but they have a better history with FA spending that the White Sox do. Trading Skubal now seems rather premature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaleAleSox said:

Heck, they have better than an outside shot to compete this year.  They’re 6 back.  I’d take them going forward (after this season) over the Royals.

Edited by GreenSox

35 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The fact that they have spent in the past? Granted, we don't know if Christopher Illitch will spend like his father, but they have a better history with FA spending that the White Sox do. Trading Skubal now seems rather premature.

Baez?  Eduardo Rodriguez?

35 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I agree with the trading part. That's why I'm wondering about the spending. Trading Skubal,  and spending big seems to be opposite philosophies. 

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Pretty sure Chris Illitch has been anti spending money. I forget the specifics, but the Tigers were one of the few teams to vote against a pro-spending rule.

• Like 1

I think it’s more likely they make a bigger splash of Luis Robert and Garret Crochet than trading for Skubal especially if they’re talking about trading Cedric Mullins 

Edited by Rey21

5 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I think it’s more likely they make a bigger splash of Luis Robert and Garret Crochet than trading for Skubal especially if they’re talking about trading Cedric Mullins 

Mullins has one more year left till he's a free agent. Probably trying to trade him to get help now in other areas then let him walk for nothing. Plus they got Kjerstad and others to fill in if Mullins is traded

58 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

Mullins has one more year left till he's a free agent. Probably trying to trade him to get help now in other areas then let him walk for nothing. Plus they got Kjerstad and others to fill in if Mullins is traded

Or put a package together that includes Mayo and Kjerstad+++ for Crochet and Robert. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Or put a package together that includes Mayo and Kjerstad+++ for Crochet and Robert. 

They aren't doing that. They are penny pinching prospect hugging organization 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I'm here. This ain't the dad, Mike Ilych, spending his money to see a world series champ once before he leaves the Earth. It's his kids trying to hang onto their inheritance. 

Lenin’s middle name?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Whisox05 said:

Then they would need a true CFer.

6 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

They aren't doing that. They are penny pinching prospect hugging organization 

would take one at least one more major piece for those two combined…Basallo likeliest

Edited by caulfield12

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

Yes, since Mike Illich died, their spending has taken a blow.