Cubs likely to be sellers; Acquire Pearson from Jays

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Sucks for us, that put Taillon on the block.

But the Cubs are in the same boat the Tigers are in, right? They could very well be competitive next year and Taillon would be a nice piece to keep. 

20 hours ago, WestEddy said:

But the Cubs are in the same boat the Tigers are in, right? They could very well be competitive next year and Taillon would be a nice piece to keep. 

Yes, but with a payroll at $227M, they don't have much room to work with moving forward. If I was them, I'd cash in now in a sellers market on a pitcher who has an inconsistent track record and clear $18M off the books. Then let Hendricks and his $16.5M walk in the offseason and they have a decent chunk of change to work with to actually address some their team needs.

• Like 2

The Cubs bullpen has been a dumpster fire so far this season. They do have good starting pitching and some decent bats when healthy. 

Madrigal is still on the Cubs.

Codi Heuer doesn't show up in the majors or minors for 2024.

Craig Kimbrel with the Cubs in 2021 - 0.49 era, whip 0.49

Craig Kimbrel with the Sox in 2021 - 5.09 era,  whip 1.217 

Things have been a disaster for the Sox since that trade.

At the time of the trade, I thought the addition of Kimbrell would put the Sox over the top for the WS.

Edited by Falstaff

On 7/22/2024 at 8:21 PM, fathom said:

It’s so similar to last year..if they win 5 of their next 7, they’ll go for it.

The Brewers took care of business and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Royals do the same this weekend.  The Cubs will be selling.  If they can actually get Teel for Taillon and his 2/$36 contract, they would be wise to do it.

• WhiteSox2023 changed the title to Cubs likely to be sellers; Jameson Taillon available?
On 7/22/2024 at 6:15 PM, southsider2k5 said:

The Cubs have to be one of the biggest disappointments in 2024.

Maybe people got carried away last season because they were predicted to lose 90.

Their big acquisition was a manager .

Reminds me of the Sox knee jerk reaction firing Ricky. 

Rangers are a big disappointment.

Edited by kitekrazy

7 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Maybe people got carried away last season because they were predicted to lose 90.

Their big acquisition was a manager .

Reminds me of the Sox knee jerk reaction firing Ricky. 

Rangers are a big disappointment.

I always found this cubs roster to be overrated 

• WhiteSox2023 changed the title to Cubs likely to be sellers; Acquire Pearson from Jays
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Came in and gave up a HR. Then the next batter he drilled a batter in the head with a 97 MPH fastball. Ejected. All time debut.

You beat me to this.  The best part was he gave up the homer to ex-Cubs prospect and last year’s trade acquisition Jaimer Candelario.  What an epic debut and meltdown.  ?

Edited by WhiteSox2023