Just what Apu has been waiting for

southsider2k5

My grandfather is smiling somewhere in heaven. Everyday he would get out his old radio and listen to Rush.

The only things that would have stopped my grandpa from listening to rush would be if Rush turned liberal, or if Rush started murdering infants.

An addiction is nothing, lots of people get addicted.

Congratulations Rush, on recovering from your problem, and best of luck.

My grandfather is smiling somewhere in heaven.  Everyday he would get out his old radio and listen to Rush.

The only things that would have stopped my grandpa from listening to rush would be if Rush turned liberal, or if Rush started murdering infants.

An addiction is nothing, lots of people get addicted.

I congratulate him on getting over his addiction but shouldn't he have to go through the harsh prison sentences etc. etc. etc. that he endorses on people who do drugs?

I congratulate him on getting over his addiction but shouldn't he have to go through the harsh prison sentences etc. etc. etc. that he endorses on people who do drugs?

I bet he won't be bringing up drug addictions on his show anymore :lol:

People sometimes get hooked on their prescription medication it's called...drum roll please... a side effect. That stuff happens. People who abuse illegal drugs need to be punished.

I wouldn't be ready to congratulate him just yet. It's a constant battle to get over an addiction. Congrats to him for admitting (albeit after he was busted) that he has a problem. Good luck to him and anyone that allows evil to control their lives.

People sometimes get hooked on their prescription medication it's called...drum roll please...  a side effect.  That stuff happens.  People who abuse illegal drugs need to be punished.

Umm, It WASN'T HIS PRESCRIPTION, making it unlawfully obtained, possessed and ingested.

"People who abuse illegal drugs need to be punished." So when is he turning himself in for incarceration?

People sometimes get hooked on their prescription medication it's called...drum roll please...  a side effect.  That stuff happens.  People who abuse illegal drugs need to be punished.

He claims that an unsuccessful surgery performed on his spine in the mid-90s left him in dire back pain and that he opted to treat this pain with prescription medication. Despite suffering back pain so severe that it required tremendous doses of medication, Limbaugh happily bragged about his many golfing trips to his radio constituency. And buying pills in a Denny's parking lot isn't exactly a legal pharmacy.

"Too many whites are getting away with drug use. Find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them, and send them up the river." -- Rush Limbaugh

Do you think he regrets saying this now? Probably not. In his defense of himself, he was quick to point out that he was addicted to "prescription" medication, as though that somehow makes it better, which, considering that it wasn't HIS prescription, it doesn't.

here's a misperception out there that being addicted to pharmaceuticals is somehow less immoral or less illegal than being addicted to "street drugs." Kind of like how robbing your employees' 401K plan is a "classier" crime than robbing a 7-11. But you know what? They are both robbery. And sending your housekeeper out to make illegal buys of prescription medication is still a crime.

But in case you, like Rush, believe that the illegal pharmaceutical trade is somehow cleaner and more sanitized than other drugs, here's a few things that the DEA has to say about OxyContin (the pills Rush was popping). This is all from their own website -- just put in OxyContin in their search engine if you want to see for yourself.

"With the abuse of OxyContin on the rise, law enforcement authorities throughout the United States are reporting an increase in the number of burglaries, thefts, and robberies of pharmacies and residences. According to authorities, homes are being robbed and individuals are being targeted for their supplies of OxyContin. In some pharmacy thefts, only OxyContin is stolen."

"Illicit OxyContin distribution is not limited to localized distributors as it also includes polydrug trafficking organizations. In the northeastern United States, a gang operating in southern Maine and New Hampshire obtained controlled substances, primarily OxyContin, using forged, stolen, and altered prescriptions. The drugs were illegally obtained from local pharmacies using cash and insurance cards. Gang members redistributed the drugs throughout areas in the Northeast."

"On December 9, 2001, nine armed individuals wearing masks stole over 30,000 bottles of OxyContin from a pharmaceutical distributor in Mexico City. Each bottle contained 30 tablets of the 20-mg dose."

"In Portland, two armed men broke into an apartment and stole the tenant's legitimate supply of OxyContin. In the town of Millinocket, intruders broke into an elderly couple's home to steal their supply of OxyContin. The intruders fled without the OxyContin after the couple put up a struggle."

"On January 7, 2002, the Cliff House Nursing Home in Winthrop was robbed by 2 armed men who held 6 nurses and 40 patients at gunpoint while demanding all of their OxyContin."

And here's a few choice words from Asa Hutchinson, DEA Administrator:

"OxyContin® has become the number one prescribed Schedule II narcotic in the United States. Increasing abuse of OxyContin® has led to an increase of associated criminal activity."

"In the FY 2003 President's Budget, DEA is requesting $24,616,000 and 133 positions to strengthen its enforcement capabilities to prevent, detect, and investigate the diversion of controlled substances, particularly OxyContin®."

"When, in a 6-month period, the Boston area experienced 36 robberies of pharmacies involving the forcible acquisition of stocked OxyContin supplies, our alarm increases."

Well, well, well... So the abuse of OxyContin leads to an increase in criminal activity, huh? Thanks for the extra crime, Rush! Jeez, the theft of 30,000 bottles in Mexico City might have been for Rush ALONE, considering the rate he was chewing these things at. Maybe soon we'll see Rush in a series of commercials . . . I can just picture it now:

"I helped hold up an elderly couple."

"I helped gangs make money."

"I committed the armed robbery of a pharmaceutical distributor."

"I held up a nursing home at gunpoint."

"I'm Rush Limbaugh and my OxyContin addiction helped support terrorism."

As much as I despise Rush, however, I agree that he clearly has an addiction, and should be treated as such. And I'll even forgive him for saying all drug users should be locked up -- as long as he learns a lesson here and stops advocating throwing people in jail for the very crimes he is committing. An addiction is a medical problem, and not one that will be solved by locking a person in a cell. We all know that we should only lock people up for SERIOUS crimes, like say... selling bongs over the internet.

Craig Schott

Redlands, CA

A BUZZFLASH READER COMMENTARY

He claims that an unsuccessful surgery performed on his spine in the mid-90s left him in dire back pain and that he opted to treat this pain with prescription medication.  Despite suffering back pain so severe that it required tremendous doses of medication, Limbaugh happily bragged about his many golfing trips to his radio constituency.  And buying pills in a Denny's parking lot isn't exactly a legal pharmacy.

"Too many whites are getting away with drug use. Find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them, and send them up the river." -- Rush Limbaugh

Do you think he regrets saying this now? Probably not. In his defense of himself, he was quick to point out that he was addicted to "prescription" medication, as though that somehow makes it better, which, considering that it wasn't HIS prescription, it doesn't.

here's a misperception out there that being addicted to pharmaceuticals is somehow less immoral or less illegal than being addicted to "street drugs." Kind of like how robbing your employees' 401K plan is a "classier" crime than robbing a 7-11. But you know what? They are both robbery. And sending your housekeeper out to make illegal buys of prescription medication is still a crime.

But in case you, like Rush, believe that the illegal pharmaceutical trade is somehow cleaner and more sanitized than other drugs, here's a few things that the DEA has to say about OxyContin (the pills Rush was popping). This is all from their own website -- just put in OxyContin in their search engine if you want to see for yourself.

"With the abuse of OxyContin on the rise, law enforcement authorities throughout the United States are reporting an increase in the number of burglaries, thefts, and robberies of pharmacies and residences. According to authorities, homes are being robbed and individuals are being targeted for their supplies of OxyContin. In some pharmacy thefts, only OxyContin is stolen."

"Illicit OxyContin distribution is not limited to localized distributors as it also includes polydrug trafficking organizations. In the northeastern United States, a gang operating in southern Maine and New Hampshire obtained controlled substances, primarily OxyContin, using forged, stolen, and altered prescriptions. The drugs were illegally obtained from local pharmacies using cash and insurance cards. Gang members redistributed the drugs throughout areas in the Northeast."

"On December 9, 2001, nine armed individuals wearing masks stole over 30,000 bottles of OxyContin from a pharmaceutical distributor in Mexico City. Each bottle contained 30 tablets of the 20-mg dose."

"In Portland, two armed men broke into an apartment and stole the tenant's legitimate supply of OxyContin. In the town of Millinocket, intruders broke into an elderly couple's home to steal their supply of OxyContin. The intruders fled without the OxyContin after the couple put up a struggle."

"On January 7, 2002, the Cliff House Nursing Home in Winthrop was robbed by 2 armed men who held 6 nurses and 40 patients at gunpoint while demanding all of their OxyContin."

"OxyContin® has become the number one prescribed Schedule II narcotic in the United States. Increasing abuse of OxyContin® has led to an increase of associated criminal activity."

"In the FY 2003 President's Budget, DEA is requesting $24,616,000 and 133 positions to strengthen its enforcement capabilities to prevent, detect, and investigate the diversion of controlled substances, particularly OxyContin®."

"When, in a 6-month period, the Boston area experienced 36 robberies of pharmacies involving the forcible acquisition of stocked OxyContin supplies, our alarm increases."

Well, well, well... So the abuse of OxyContin leads to an increase in criminal activity, huh? Thanks for the extra crime, Rush! Jeez, the theft of 30,000 bottles in Mexico City might have been for Rush ALONE, considering the rate he was chewing these things at. Maybe soon we'll see Rush in a series of commercials . . . I can just picture it now:

As much as I despise Rush, however, I agree that he clearly has an addiction, and should be treated as such. And I'll even forgive him for saying all drug users should be locked up -- as long as he learns a lesson here and stops advocating throwing people in jail for the very crimes he is committing. An addiction is a medical problem, and not one that will be solved by locking a person in a cell. We all know that we should only lock people up for SERIOUS crimes, like say... selling bongs over the internet.

Craig Schott

Redlands, CA

Your friend there, thanks by the way for your originality, makes it sound like Rush was "popping" those pills for recreational use. That's so rediculous it maks me laugh. He started on that medication, MEDICATION to be sure, not to get a cheap high, but to relieve pain, Period. Your friend, again way to be original, lumps him in with coke heads, stoners and meth addicts & frankly that's just ludicrous.

He claims that an unsuccessful surgery performed on his spine in the mid-90s left him in dire back pain and that he opted to treat this pain with prescription medication.  Despite suffering back pain so severe that it required tremendous doses of medication, Limbaugh happily bragged about his many golfing trips to his radio constituency.  And buying pills in a Denny's parking lot isn't exactly a legal pharmacy.

Craig Schott

Redlands, CA

I enjoy Rush's show and have listened to it for a long time. I'm glad he's back but at the same time I agree with apu.

Excuse me while I go wash my own mouth out now :D

Your friend there, thanks by the way for your originality, makes it sound like Rush was "popping" those pills for recreational use.  That's so rediculous it maks me laugh.  He started on that medication, MEDICATION to be sure, not to get a cheap high, but to relieve pain, Period.  Your friend, again way to be original, lumps him in with coke heads, stoners and meth addicts & frankly that's just ludicrous.

Nuke, he wasn't on the prescription at the time. He had his housekeeper go to a Denny's parking lot and buy him pills ILLEGALLY.

Nuke, you said people who use illegal drugs need to be punished. Having prescription drugs with no prescription is not LEGAL. Hence that's ILLEGAL.

And if his back was in so much pain, why was he playing so much golf? :bang

Your friend there, thanks by the way for your originality, makes it sound like Rush was "popping" those pills for recreational use.  That's so rediculous it maks me laugh.  He started on that medication, MEDICATION to be sure, not to get a cheap high, but to relieve pain, Period.  Your friend, again way to be original, lumps him in with coke heads, stoners and meth addicts & frankly that's just ludicrous.

True in a sense, but at the same time, I would think that once addicted, any substance abusers are taking more to feed the addiction than to get the "cheap high". I would guess that the body starts to demand the drug rather than the user just recreationally using anymore. I don't think in that reagrd that it's all that different than the situation you described for Limbaugh. I'm also guessing that at some point, he REALLY liked the way it made him feel. Just a hunch...

I think it's too convenient to excuse his abuse of drugs ( prescription or not ) simply for the reason that it IS a crime to illegally obtain OxyContin and that's precisely what he did ( or had his housekeeper do, anyway ).