Area around The United Center

WBWSF

The Sun Times reported that the owners of  the Bulls and Blackhawks will spend over $7 billion  dollars on the area surrounding the United Center. I would think that JR will be putting in alot of money  towards the new White Sox stadium in the South Loop soon.

5 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The Sun Times reported that the owners of  the Bulls and Blackhawks will spend over $7 billion  dollars on the area surrounding the United Center. I would think that JR will be putting in alot of money  towards the new White Sox stadium in the South Loop soon.

Would part of that 7 billion be putting the Sox right next to it? Since he is one of the owners that is reportedly spening 7 billion dollars?

1 hour ago, PaleAleSox said:

Would part of that 7 billion be putting the Sox right next to it? Since he is one of the owners that is reportedly spening 7 billion dollars?

How does he have the money for this project but needs to state to give him billions for the other? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I'll believe it when I see it.  He better because that's the only way he may, notice I said may, be able to get the politicians and the public to help with the project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

How does he have the money for this project but needs to state to give him billions for the other? 

Something tells me he won't be footing the bill for this either. If it even breaks ground that is.

• Like 1

I'm surprised given the amount of private funds in this - they wouldn't try to bring the scope of the other project a part of this -> kind of 2 birds, one stone. I get that could make everything drag longer but would seem to be leverage (albeit Wirtz may be less open to that).  

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Bridgeport is nice and all, but from an investment perspective this makes infinitely more sense. The West Loop is a gold mine.

Sox fan base is largely located in the Southern regions of Chicago and primarily in the S/SW suburbs. Any new stadium in the future will cater to that fan base. Thing is, that won't happen for at least a decade.

7 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

JR will pay for everything. We know that. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tray said:

Sox fan base is largely located in the Southern regions of Chicago and primarily in the S/SW suburbs. Any new stadium in the future will cater to that fan base. Thing is, that won't happen for at least a decade.

I'm sure the desire to invest in the West Loop expands much further than sports teams. It's probably the most booming Chicago neighborhood in our lifetimes.

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

JR will pay for everything. We know that. 

JR said he would pay $200 million towards the new stadium. Keep in mind that was in the original statement. The Rays have agreed to pay  for half of their  new stadium in St.Pete. They are paying $600 million towards it. If JR pays for half of the new stadium (which would be $600 million his share) it will be built.

21 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

JR said he would pay $200 million towards the new stadium. Keep in mind that was in the original statement. The Rays have agreed to pay  for half of their  new stadium in St.Pete. They are paying $600 million towards it. If JR pays for half of the new stadium (which would be $600 million his share) it will be built.

Can you try and explain this like I’m 5

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I knew it . I've been saying JR is up to something and that's why he's skimping on the Sox.

Wirtz's better watch their backs.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I knew it . I've been saying JR is up to something and that's why he's skimping on the Sox.

Wirtz's better watch their backs.

Why, did JR treat them unfairly with the UC?

4 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm sure the desire to invest in the West Loop expands much further than sports teams. It's probably the most booming Chicago neighborhood in our lifetimes.

No question about that. 

I digress....Back in 1990, Einhorn and Reinsdorf deployed a young inexperienced Terry Savarise (a nepotite) to visit all other MLB ballparks and report back with his ideas.  Savarise journeywas a fool's mission. His confused input was actually taken seriously by Einhorn and Reinsdorf.  That process resulted in the design of the metal fascade on the inside elevation of the roof  (taken from Yankee stadium) and the baby blue and white colors from Chavez Ravine. The odd looking white tube trusses in the outfield never tied in with any other design element. Cheap stucco exterior instead of traditional brick, and the failure to orient the park toward downtown were some of the other mistakes.

Keep that history in mind as we fast forward to the subject of this thread - a proposed 10 year plan to improve the area surrounding the UC. I cringed as I saw Michael Reinsdorf and yes, Terry Savarice as proponents of this enormous development plan.  I wondered where these two have been (especially since Savarice is an exec with the ISFA) regarding renewing the lease at Comiskey, improving that ballpark, developing surrounding areas, or discussing a possible new ballpark in the future.  Maybe one reason is that none of those things are in their plans.