Thorpe one of top MLB ERA in last month

12 minutes ago, wegner said:

What do you think we could get for him??

That's what I was thinking, half kiddingly.
For how long will a great  changeup fool major league hitters, when your fastball is low 90s?  Maybe it is sustainable, I don't know.  Looking at gamecast on ESPN, he seems to have great command, pitching on the edges of the zone.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

That's what I was thinking, half kiddingly.
For how long will a great  changeup fool major league hitters, when your fastball is low 90s?  Maybe it is sustainable, I don't know.  Looking at gamecast on ESPN, he seems to have great command, pitching on the edges of the zone.

Command is the one place he can take a big leap with.  It really seems like he barely threw his fastball last game.

29 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Let's extend Crochet and build a nasty rotation around him, Thorpe, Schultz, the new lefty kid from Arkansas, and Cannon! 

if only we didn't have fucking JR. I'd be so down for that. As I've said I've felt a 5 year 150 million dollar extension would be perfect for Crochet and I bet he'd sign that. You could make it something like 120 million guaranteed with the last 30 million coming with innings and performance incentives. He'd get guaranteed generational wealth and the Sox would have one of the best 5 pitchers in MLB locked up in his prime with TJS already out of the way.

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Let's extend Crochet and build a nasty rotation around him, Thorpe, Schultz, the new lefty kid from Arkansas, and Cannon! 

I think the people who think like us are not crazy. We don't want stupid trades that 'may' pay off 3-5 years from now. I think any reasonable person would see the Sox have a pretty good rotation already built for the future. Since the Sox can't build an effective bullpen, we could try some of the lesser names in our system out of the pen. And maybe Jerry would agree to spend a little cash trying once again to find 2 decent bullpen pieces.

But Thorpe and Crochet are pretty amazing and I won't go thru the other names. Sox have part of the rebuild complete!! The pitching staff (if Jerry agrees to spend a few bucks on the pen).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

if only we didn't have fucking JR. I'd be so down for that. 

I hear you. That's why I want the commish to reprimand the Sox or contract the Sox. If you are in it, you are in it to win it. Especially in this pathetic division which the Sox refuse to contend.

2 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

This is also an interesting thread on Thorpe's changeup.

This, plus some other metrics and data dives, makes me really nervous about Thorpe. 

Will hitters simply adjust to the change in the bigs and destroy all his value? His change being good doesn't explain his FIP either. 

Even Mark Buehrle, who did everything else perfectly, had a fip only .3 higher than his ERA.

Thorpe seems to be getting better so I hope that continues but he's concerning for me.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Command is the one place he can take a big leap with.  It really seems like he barely threw his fastball last game.

Looked to me like he was hitting the corners all game. Probably doesn’t use the fastball too often because it seems to peak at 93.. 

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

I hear you. That's why I want the commish to reprimand the Sox or contract the Sox. If you are in it, you are in it to win it. Especially in this pathetic division which the Sox refuse to contend.

Manfred like most owners only care about one thing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

I think the people who think like us are not crazy. We don't want stupid trades that 'may' pay off 3-5 years from now. I think any reasonable person would see the Sox have a pretty good rotation already built for the future. Since the Sox can't build an effective bullpen, we could try some of the lesser names in our system out of the pen. And maybe Jerry would agree to spend a little cash trying once again to find 2 decent bullpen pieces.

But Thorpe and Crochet are pretty amazing and I won't go thru the other names. Sox have part of the rebuild complete!! The pitching staff (if Jerry agrees to spend a few bucks on the pen).

Greg, I think there's more people than you think in the "keep Crochet if Jerry opens his pocketbook" camp. The "if" is important.

I think that if the Sox want to be good again quickly, they're morons to trade him. But if they can't extend him, then there's no point in keeping him for two years only to watch him walk.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

I thought he had allegedly already turned down an extension with the White Sox?

16 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This, plus some other metrics and data dives, makes me really nervous about Thorpe. 

Will hitters simply adjust to the change in the bigs and destroy all his value? His change being good doesn't explain his FIP either. 

Even Mark Buehrle, who did everything else perfectly, had a fip only .3 higher than his ERA.

Thorpe seems to be getting better so I hope that continues but he's concerning for me.

FIP doesn't seem that relevant in the new run environment of MLB. I am cautious on him as well because he really doesn't have a lot of room for error with his fastball sitting where it sits but in general it's not because his ERA is lower than his FIP by "too much".