Trade thoughts

54 minutes ago, T R U said:

So basically, not s%*# lol

Yeah, not really disagreeing. Hopefully can get someone who is blocked that is mildly interesting to give an audition to. 

8 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

8ydxmw.jpg

Eh for once, let him spine up.  He obviously needs to set a tone so that GMs just don't think if they wait long enough, that they will get what they want out of him.

7 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I'm really confused on what you guys want from him.

These guys bought a car, once, and got the dealer to throw in the mid tier undercoating for the price of the value package. So they know how easy it is to shake loose 4-5 top prospects from another team. 

You can be tough on demands for guys you control past 2024. But guys like Pham, DeJong, etc....there is nothing good to be done by not even considering marginal offers. This team is no better with them still on the roster.

I'm all for him being stedfast concerning Robert/Crochet, but the rest is all fodder. If anyone shows interest, you take that flyer.

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

You can be tough on demands for guys you control past 2024. But guys like Pham, DeJong, etc....there is nothing good to be done by not even considering marginal offers. This team is no better with them still on the roster.

I'm all for him being stedfast concerning Robert/Crochet, but the rest is all fodder. If anyone shows interest, you take that flyer.

The non-control guys will all be gone by the deadline.    But it isn't like they are big enough to even be in demand early.  We'll get our A ball reliever, and DSL wash outs and move on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think I've resigned myself to the fact that Fedde will be the only significant trade. Unfortunate. 

Yep, that this point it feels like Fedde will be the highest level guy to go.  And for this one, I can't really blame Getz.  Just hope he doesn't panic.

I just think Getz is so over his head, he just doesn’t know what to do.   i’m sure he’s shooting for the stars with his  trade request and when they say no, he just doesn’t know what to do.   Absolutely embarrassing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Johno said:

I just think Getz is so over his head, he just doesn’t know what to do.   i’m sure he’s shooting for the stars with his  trade request and when they say no, he just doesn’t know what to do.   Absolutely embarrassing.

This doesn't make sense. He doesn't need to trade Robert or Crochet right now. It sounds like he does know what to do, which is not trade them. Crochet has basically forced his hand to not be moved, anyway. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Johno said:

The guy has made one trade similar to the ones he's trying to make right now and it looks pretty decent at the moment.  No idea how you can say "he just doesn't know what to do."  If he traded Crochet and Robert (who are under team control) for less than they are worth, that would be embarrassing.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

This doesn't make sense. He doesn't need to trade Robert or Crochet right now. It sounds like he does know what to do, which is not trade them. Crochet has basically forced his hand to not be moved, anyway. 

He needs to trade them to start the position player talent acquisition phase that we need to push this rebuild along.  The problem is you only get one bite at the apple for each of these guys, so if he settles, it is too late.  He can wait until the winter with Crochet, but with Robert he has a little more time.  The problem is a time delay just pushes the Sox recovery event horizon back by an equal amount of time as it takes to move those players.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He needs to trade them to start the position player talent acquisition phase that we need to push this rebuild along.  The problem is you only get one bite at the apple for each of these guys, so if he settles, it is too late.  He can wait until the winter with Crochet, but with Robert he has a little more time.  The problem is a time delay just pushes the Sox recovery event horizon back by an equal amount of time as it takes to move those players.

Yeah I worded it wrong. He ultimately does need to trade them, but he doesn't need to in the next 3 days if the offers aren't where they should be.

Just now, WestEddy said:

Nobody says "he wasn't involved". He was an assistant GM. Please explain how an assistant GM makes global decisions and his bosses up through the owner fall in line. 

And I'm not "giving him credit". The comment I replied to implied that Getz was in over his head due to lack of experience. I answered that by saying he most probably has experience working out the early-mid stages of trades under Hahn. 

Oh there have been plenty of people that tried to make it seem like he had nothing to do with the debacle the last few years.  It’s just so ridiculous he got the job after the whole front office failed miserably.