Trade thoughts

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Where did I indicate that I don’t understand that?  I still think Getz is a bad GM regardless of any limitations from JR.

Because you keep talking about Getz and Getz supporters . So you don't seem to understand once again there are no Getz supporters only those who see Getz as nothing more than a twig on the Redwood that is Jerry Reinsdorf.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

49 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz made an oopsie.  Watch Pillar bring back more than Pham.

He would be hitting .214 if he’d stayed here just like the rest of these bums.

• Like 4

We are now under 34 hours to go and still no moves from Getz.  The SP market is basically at a standstill, but once the first big move happens there we should start seeing all the dominos fall.  I’m not worried about Fedde being moved and Crochet is likely going to be a buzzer beater if anything actually happens there.

I’m just surprised we haven’t seen a smaller move yet.  Outside of the big three, Kopech seems like he carries the most value because of theoretical upside and the extra year of control.  With the demand for relievers and the activity there already, you gotta hope they can do something with him today.  Same applies to Brebbia and potentially Banks to a lesser extent.

As for Pham & DeJong, sell these guys now before potential suitors settle on other options.  These guys never had that much value to begin with and should not be held until deadline day hoping for some sort of overpay.  Move them today and give yourself more flexibility on the bigger ticket items that likely require a looming deadline to get over the finish line.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We are now under 34 hours to go and still no moves from Getz.  The SP market is basically at a standstill, but once the first big move happens there we should start seeing all the dominos fall.  I’m not worried about Fedde being moved and Crochet is likely going to be a buzzer beater if anything actually happens there.

I’m just surprised we haven’t seen a smaller move yet.  Outside of the big three, Kopech seems like he carries the most value because of theoretical upside and the extra year of control.  With the demand for relievers and the activity there already, you gotta hope they can do something with him today.  Same applies to Brebbia and potentially Banks to a lesser extent.

As for Pham & DeJong, sell these guys now before potential suitors settle on other options.  These guys never had that much value to begin with and should not be held until deadline day hoping for some sort of overpay.  Move them today and give yourself more flexibility on the bigger ticket items that likely require a looming deadline to get over the finish line.

Agreed.  If you had/have offers for Dejong and Pham they just need to go.  I'd be worried teams just decide to go elsewhere given theyre a dime a dozen.

• Like 1

Today is the day we start seeing some of our Sox get laundered, as it were. Boob says “The White Sox could unload as many as seven players before the deadline:

• Garrett Crochet
  • Erick Fedde
  • Luis Robert Jr.
  • Michael Kopech
  • Chris Flexen
  • Tommy Pham
  • Paul DeJong”

I think we see motion on some of the non-Crochet and Robert bunch today so tomorrow can be spent bidding up those last two. And though not mentioned in the article, I’ve seen talk that StL might take a flyer on Brebbia, so maybe eight guys could go. Watch flights from CLT to MCI, I guess.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/07/28/mlb-trade-deadline-rumors-2024/74576044007/

4 minutes ago, XplodingScorbord said:

Today is the day we start seeing some of our Sox get laundered, as it were. Boob says “The White Sox could unload as many as seven players before the deadline:

• Garrett Crochet
  • Erick Fedde
  • Luis Robert Jr.
  • Michael Kopech
  • Chris Flexen
  • Tommy Pham
  • Paul DeJong”

I think we see motion on some of the non-Crochet and Robert bunch today so tomorrow can be spent bidding up those last two. And though not mentioned in the article, I’ve seen talk that StL might take a flyer on Brebbia, so maybe eight guys could go. Watch flights from CLT to MCI, I guess.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/07/28/mlb-trade-deadline-rumors-2024/74576044007/

I am not watching fucking flights for this god damned team. Manny, is that you?

2 minutes ago, XplodingScorbord said:

• Garrett Crochet
  • Erick Fedde
  • Luis Robert Jr.
  • Michael Kopech
  • Chris Flexen
  • Tommy Pham
  • Paul DeJong”

Yeah, Brebbia is getting moved.  He has been incredible since June 1st with a 2.86 ERA, 1.56 FIP, 13.5 K/9, and 5.5 K to BB ratio.  Someone will want him and hopefully give up something a bit more interesting than your standard lottery ticket.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Bob's was still very optimistic on Crochet to the dodgers. 

Don’t know if that’s a good thing. MLB pipeline just went through who the Dodgers gave up in deadline deals. Scrubs and second division regulars mostly. Look at the deals last year: Nastrini and Leasure are not trending well. People say “Don’t trade with the Rays.” The Dodgers are the Original Rays.

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Don’t know if that’s a good thing. MLB pipeline just went through who the Dodgers gave up in deadline deals. Scrubs and second division regulars mostly. Look at the deals last year: Nastrini and Leasure are not trending well. People say “Don’t trade with the Rays.” The Dodgers are the Original Rays.

In the Sox defense, they gave up Lance Lynn and Joe Kelly in that deal. 

• Like 1

Just now, PaleAleSox said:

In the Sox defense, they gave up Lance Lynn and Joe Kelly in that deal. 

I am not criticizing the Sox, I am saying the Dodgers are good at scouting and self-scouting. They do not lose a lot of trades. Notice how they are not the ones giving up Trea Turner, or CJ Abrams, or James Wood. They give up Keibert Ruiz and Verdugo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I am not criticizing the Sox, I am saying the Dodgers are good at scouting and self-scouting. They do not lose a lot of trades. Notice how they are not the ones giving up Trea Turner, or CJ Abrams, or James Wood. They give up Keibert Ruiz and Verdugo.

They did give up Yordan Alvarez to the Astros which was a huge misstep, but overall yeah they don't trade away too much. Most of their position players are free agent signings, too. So not entirely sure at how well they develop position players.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

yeah, that's true. Still - Michael Busch is putting up that 122 OPS+ level that would be expected of him, and they didn't have a spot. They self scout so well though. 

1 hour ago, XplodingScorbord said:

• Garrett Crochet
  • Erick Fedde
  • Luis Robert Jr.
  • Michael Kopech
  • Chris Flexen
  • Tommy Pham
  • Paul DeJong”

This seems like wishful thinking and not reality. Neither Crochet or Robert Jr are getting moved. Fedde may not either if all the offers are weak. Also, there are rumblings that JR does not want another rebuild and may instuct Getz to bring back Fedde next year in an effort to compete. 

Kopech is still under control for next year and there is no pressing demand for Sox to move him now. No legit contender wants anything to do with Flexen, Pham, and Dejong. They will likely stay on in hopes that the Sox can avoid setting the worst record of all time. 

2 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

This seems like wishful thinking and not reality. Neither Crochet or Robert Jr are getting moved. Fedde may not either if all the offers are weak. Also, there are rumblings that JR does not want another rebuild and may instuct Getz to bring back Fedde next year in an effort to compete. 

Kopech is still under control for next year and there is no pressing demand for Sox to move him now. No legit contender wants anything to do with Flexen, Pham, and Dejong. They will likely stay on in hopes that the Sox can avoid setting the worst record of all time. 

Congrats on waking up from your multi year coma….but I have some bad news for you 

3 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

He may not want another rebuild, but when  you are  winning 25% of your games, and have nothing in the pipeline, you are rebuilding.

8 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

This seems like…whatever the opposite of wishful thinking is. Yes, my post was an attempt to spread some positivity. But your supposition that virtually no one is getting traded is far less grounded in reality than mine. I suppose the next 30 hours or so will tell the tale. 

8 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

I gotta disagree with most of what you say here.  Fedde is 100% gone.  If the value isn’t there now, it won’t be there come the offseason.  Pham is 100% gone as well.  To say a contender wouldn’t want a guy with a 140 wRC+ against LHP is just silly.  Kopech I’d put at a 95% chance of being moved.  The Sox probably won’t just give him away, but I think they are highly motivated to move on from him and in this market someone will offer something of value.

I’d put DeJong at 75% chance of being moved.  You will only get a lottery ticket for him and perhaps there is a small chance the Sox decide to hold him for posturing reasons, but I seriously.  Hell, I’d probably put Flexen at like 50% of being moved, although you will practically get nothing for him since he’s more or less just an innings eater.

41 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

They did give up Yordan Alvarez to the Astros which was a huge misstep, but overall yeah they don't trade away too much. Most of their position players are free agent signings, too. So not entirely sure at how well they develop position players.

Gave up Oneil Cruz at the deadline as well...so...they (like others) do make regrettable decisions...they just have the ability to cover those mistakes with lots of cash!

26 minutes ago, XplodingScorbord said:

This seems like…whatever the opposite of wishful thinking is. Yes, my post was an attempt to spread some positivity. But your supposition that virtually no one is getting traded is far less grounded in reality than mine. I suppose the next 30 hours or so will tell the tale. 

Tick tock goes the clock.