Trade thoughts

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Brutal.  The board would implode, and rightfully so.  The Getz supporters would all blame Jerry.

I hate to say it but this is the most probable outcome if he's actually traded. 

Crochet to LAD for scrubs and salary relief in the form of Beni. Maybe they'll send us Freeland as the centerpiece to help us save some face so Getz can say he got a middle infielder talent but the other pieces will be trash. 

And yes the board would implode.

To paraphrase a former US president, " We are all Aly now"

29 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

What keeps everyone being a fan despite each and every incompetent action from JR & co? 

I am as emotionally detached as possible while being a realist about the situation. I’ll call myself a fan again when ownership shows they give a damn. But 30+ years of fandom is hard to quit when you love baseball more than ever. I just find my baseball bliss elsewhere. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I hate to say it but this is the most probable outcome if he's actually traded. 

Crochet to LAD for scrubs and salary relief in the form of Beni. Maybe they'll send us Freeland as the centerpiece to help us save some face so Getz can say he got a middle infielder talent but the other pieces will be trash. 

And yes the board would implode.

To paraphrase a former US president, " We are all Aly now"

Everyone is baseball is going to absolutely hate the Dodgers again. 

Not that Matsumoto Buehler Kershaw and Glasnow have been close to worth it. 

46 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Who says no, SD or the Sox?

Padres get Crochet and Banks
Sox get de Vries, Pauley and Jay Beshears

Sox likely turn down any Padres deal that doesn’t include De Vries and Snelling 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I am as emotionally detached as possible while being a realist about the situation. I’ll call myself a fan again when ownership shows they give a damn. But 30+ years of fandom is hard to quit when you love baseball more than ever. I just find my baseball bliss elsewhere. 

Now it's baseball more for fantasy sports, individual players, Padres to have a team in the other league and stay abreast of everything for fantasy again. 

Took Robert in to my team and that disaster is being rectified. 

Even bought a Robert autographed rookie for "just" $60 in Puerto Rico. 

Gunnar Henderson at a cool $300, autographed rookie card. 

59 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Still can be moved but ineligible for post season...in August.  Or that rule changed too? 

Not sure, we need one of our knowledgeable posters to pull this up if a Google search doesn’t show the answer easily.

47 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

JR would have to pay around 200 million in capital gains tax then add on Illinois sales tax which is why he isn't selling as long as he is alive. 

Is an estate tax minimal compared to a capital gains tax?

46 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

being one of the lowest revenue teams in the league combined with the fact that we are labeled "big market", is a recipe for disaster. We need and deserve a top 3 pick multiple years in a row, now it is impossible thanks to manfred and his cronies. Yet Tampa, 3.5 games out of a wildcard, can sell and not spend any money...but aren't discouraged from doing so at all. Dire situation that can only be rectified by the death of the chairman, and a potential buyer may relocate the team

The Tampa way makes sense to me. Too bad JR’s executives and scouts don’t know how to find talent and don’t have the staff to develop talent like Tampa does.

8 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I think I have actually gotten more into football as the years have gone on. My first love may have been the White Sox, but the Bears have been more interesting as of late even during the Nagy era.

3 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Because my dad didn’t raise a Cubs fan. 

Same. And I don’t want my son to become one.

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Sox likely turn down any Padres deal that doesn’t include De Vries and Snelling 

They won't give more than one of those two for Fedde. 

Two for Crochet.  Or Salas moved but that's highly highly unlikely at this point. 

De Vrieze not exactly tearing up the MW League either. 

6 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Not sure, we need one of our knowledgeable posters to pull this up if a Google search doesn’t show the answer easily.

Is an estate tax minimal compared to a capital gains tax?

The Tampa way makes sense to me. Too bad JR’s executives and scouts don’t know how to find talent and don’t have the staff to develop talent like Tampa does.

I think I have actually gotten more into football as the years have gone on. My first love may have been the White Sox, but the Bears have been more interesting as of late even during the Nagy era.

Same. And I don’t want my son to become one.

Used to be 10% for cap gains. 

We had this conversation recently and estate hit would be at least 20% unless it is given to a trust I think...but you'd have to ask a corporate tax lawyer. 

Someone said as much as 40% but that seems way too high. 

In the 90s something like 55-59% for highest tranches or tiers of an estate,  partially why they balanced budgets under Clinton.  And the lowest amount to be tax eligible was $650-750k and that was basically doubled for couples. 

Now it's some crazy number well over $10 million that the 2-3/10ths of 1% might actually pay. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Seeing what the Cubs did today makes sense. They saw some opportunity with the Tampa third baseman and traded Morel and an aging pitcher in their system. I can understand what their front office is doing, but I can’t understand what Getz is doing, or what lies or ideas he sold Jerry on to replace Hahn and Williams.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Seeing what the Cubs did today makes sense. They saw some opportunity with the Tampa third baseman and traded Morel and an aging pitcher in their system. I can understand what their front office is doing, but I can’t understand what Getz is doing, or what lies or ideas he sold Jerry on to replace Hahn and Williams.

Crochet makes all the sense in the world for them also

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I don’t think people realize that the “pitching prospect” the Cubs traded, Hunter Bigge, is 26.  They traded 25 year old Morel, a man without a glove/position for a 25 year old All-Star 3B with 4 more years of control.  It was an excellent trade by the Cubs.  They aren’t going anywhere this season but it was a good trade for the years to come.  They had been playing Madrigal at 3B quite a bit the last couple years.  ?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

FWIW I have heard from other forum's that they've tried attaching bennintendi to crochet as well. Not sure i believe any of it either, it would be insane, but we can't put it past meddling jerry

It would be such a bad decision it’s hard to really take it seriously. I’m sure it’s just Sox fans assuming the worst. But hey, I guess never say never, this is the White Sox. 

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I don’t think people realize that the “pitching prospect” the Cubs traded, Hunter Bigge, is 26.  They traded 25 year old Morel, a man without a glove/position for a 25 year old All-Star 3B with 4 more years of control.  It was an excellent trade by the Cubs.  They aren’t going anywhere this season but it was a good trade for the years to come.  They had been playing Madrigal at 3B quite a bit the last couple years.  ?

Great post. Hopefully people who fall into the Score see that tomorrow.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I also can’t possibly fathom the Sox attaching Beni with crochet. Wouldn’t be surprised if another team floated it as everyone knows the Sox would love to dump Beni. But it’s beyond obvious that the Sox need to maximize the talent infusion with Crochet / Robert. It’s hard to doubt the Sox making a dumb decision at this point, but I just can’t buy that one. 

I thought that too until I came to the conclusion that JR isn't treating the Sox like a baseball team that should be doing things to get better but more like a company that will be sold to finance his other ventures which will be in the hand of his heirs once he passes.

Benitendi is a debt that needs to be removed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Brutal.  The board would implode, and rightfully so.  The Getz supporters would all blame Jerry.

You still don't understand that if Benintendi is attached it's because of Reinsdorf.

How can you not understand yet that Getz is a pawn on JRs chess board. How is that not plain to you yet ?

• Like 2

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You still don't understand that if Benintendi is attached it's because of Reinsdorf.

How can you not understand yet that Getz is a pawn on JRs chess board. How is that not plain to you yet ?

Where did I indicate that I don’t understand that?  I still think Getz is a bad GM regardless of any limitations from JR.

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I’ve been a die hard since 1990 but last winter I threw in the towel. I come back now and then to check out the commentary but I don’t think the organization is deserving of loyalty. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

I’ve been a die hard since 1990 but last winter I threw in the towel. I come back now and then to check out the commentary but I don’t think the organization is deserving of loyalty. 

That is me.  Became a diehard sox fan about 1988. It's getting really tough to stay one with the way the team has been run.  The Larussa hiring,  then the moron Grifol. If we screw up the trades over the next 12 months I might find a new team.  

8 minutes ago, pmb0928 said:

That is me.  Became a diehard sox fan about 1988. It's getting really tough to stay one with the way the team has been run.  The Larussa hiring,  then the moron Grifol. If we screw up the trades over the next 12 months I might find a new team.  

Sadly my response has been to not watch much baseball. Cant get myself to root for a new team. I was at USA baseball a few weeks ago and watched the Stars & Stripes game. Just happened to be sitting right in front of five White Sox scouts. Told them I was a fan until this season. They said “we’ll be back” and were super nice, but I just can’t do it…

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

It’s borderline dereliction of duty that Pham is still here.  Fedde as well.  Those are easy deals.  Crochet and Robert are obviously more complicated.  I share your concern.  I’m mildly worried that he’s going to wait so long trying to get the best return that…a bunch of players just won’t be moved.  It’s also very possible that he’s getting pressure to hold a few because a team without Pham, Robert, Crochet, and Fedde is going to be near unwatchable and revenue will plummet even further last few months of the season.  

Could it possibly be that other GMs because of Jerry crying poor are treating Getz like a crackhead trying to sell a Rolex in a pawn ship ? The offers for good returns are just not forthcoming. They may seem like easy trades but I'm almost certain there's going to be a lot of complaints about the return when those trades are made .

More and more were seeing a team like Baltimore try to sell off its expiring parts like Hayes , Mullins , Mountcastle or Santander to bring up their youth.

That goes along with a lot of talk around baseball of contending  teams light in one area trading with other lesser contenders  strong in certain areas trading 26 man roster pieces kind of like how the Cubs got Paredes. Morel lessened the prospects they'd have to give up.

• Like 1